April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice."

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. Texican

I attribute this half endorsement to senility. Tomorrow he won't remember who he is for and who is Obama. Maybe he thinks that it is an Irish name as in O'Bama.

The Republic of Texas gets closer and closer. Go Hillary or McCain
    Keeep America together.

April 3, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. matt

Would all the Hillary supporters just register republican so we can move
    on. I don't even want them in the democratic party anymore. Go away! You guys are like little cancers who don't respond to treatment.

Go vote mccain, we don't care anymore. Turns out you wack jobs are why we were losing elections to begin with all this time.

Its time for people who get it, to jump on board the obama train, republican or democrat.

Once again, psycho Hillary supporters are not invited.

April 3, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. Mfelder

Obviously, Obama or Hillary will be the best choice for this country. it's these republican's with their trickle down economy that has gotten us into this mess. And Republican's, when McCain says that he will not raise your taxes, he is not speaking to those of you who is paying 25 to 35 percent, he means the riches American who is paying 10 percent. Unless he puts the tax question in the proper prospective, I suggest that you pay attention.

Go Obama 08.

April 3, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. HomoSapien

Everytime an important Superdelegate supports Obama, the Hillary people go nuts! Suddenly, the superdelegate, who was a perfectly reasonable person until yesterday, transforms into a monster.

Or a bad President. Or a traitor.

First it was Richardson, then Nancy Pelosi, and now Carter.

I wonder – what would these people be saying about these Superdelegates had they endorsed Hillary??

Well, I am sure they know the answer themselves.

Pathetic.

April 3, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. Aaron Perrysburg Ohio

hopefully we will elect a dem either way, but i fear that Obama will be a one-termer just as the great Mr. Carter was... Remember that Billary was able to get things done even after losing congress in 1994 we need concencious not diviison.

Hillary 08

April 3, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. JB Cali

Too all the Clinton supporters that claim they will vote for McCain, I ask you, what do Hillary and McCain have more in common than Hillary and Obama besides the color of their skin?

April 3, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  7. M.S. Indiana

We welcome you Mr. President, the more people for America the better.

Yes We Can !!!!

April 3, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. eddie n. powellnye

I feel that this man is the only preident that actually tried to bring God into the White House. In his efforts he was branded as having no backbone. Now he is the most respected leader in the world. I cannot remember in my 59 years any leader of our country that has earned the respect around the world as this man. It is my Godly feeling that Obama is from the tree. I think that we should take notice that Casey,
    Richardson and Carter children voices were the reasons for their
    decision. It follows God's word " OUT OF MY CHILDREN MOUTH
    FLOWS THE TRUTH". We as adults tend to add what we want to justify our truth.

April 3, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  9. Jonathan

It's just one lousy President supporting what is sure to be another lousy President. Jimmy Carter is a great man now, but he was a terrible President, let's not forget that. Obama cannot beat John McCain and isn't that what it's about. I think it's kind of funny that Hillary is losing the Primary even though she would win the General. Obama won't carry FL, or OH, and he certainly can't turn VA blue, at least not in a Presidential election. I swore I'd vote for McCain if Obama were the nominee, but that's wrong....I will vote for Obama if I have to, but only, and I mean ONLY because of the Supreme Court Justices he'll be able to choose.

April 3, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. BigAce

Response to Lady in MN

1. Hillary's tax returns will give us an indication of where she got the 5 million dollars to loan to her campaign. Was it her personal funds or did in come from donators of the Clinton library, who are remain anonymous. As for the Wright controversy, 3 outrageous messages out of 1,140 traditional messages over a 20 year period hardly makes Obama seem like the monster the Hillary supporters try to make him out to be.

At 1 outrageous message per year, that would leave you with 17 years of traditional sermons, so I'm confused about the sitting in the church for 20 years comment.

2. Your stuck in tradition. If anything you should have realized by now is that Obama in re-writing how you win the presidency. Look at all the new voters nationwide that have been participating in the election process this year. And yes, a lot of it has to do with Obama. So while tradionally the presidency has depended on winning those states, this year Obama is forging a new path.

3. Whats not to like about Obama? If Hillary didn't have so much baggage, then I'm sure they would show her more love.

April 3, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Marc

This should wake you Clinton supporters and see that Obama is the person to back. Everybody is tired of the Clinton's lies and old crooked polotics. I am very happy that President Carter is backing Obama and I hope Gore and Edwards will follow.

Obama 08

April 3, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. BarackObama44thPresident

This will be just awesome once Carter makes it official.

April 3, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  13. Michael

With all due respect to President Carter and the other losing liberals who endorsed Obama (Kennedy, Kerry, Dodd, Leahy) Obama is going to go down in flames in a general election. I heard Tim Russert this morning suggest that Obama could peel off Virginia to get the magic 270 in a GE. Wishful thinking. Hillary does have a chance at peeling off Arkansas. Democrats need to start thinking pragmatically like Republicans, and for once, stop acting like spoiled, self-centered children. How can Obama unite and heal the country when he has bitterly divided the Democrats? Face it, the spark is gone and that's all he ever had to offer.

April 3, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  14. Getting Tired

Endorsements don't mean anything to the Clinton campaign until they get one. I love how rules, significance and everything else changes when it comes to the Clintons. I, like many, have lost all respect for Senator Clinton and will have a hard time casting my vote for her in the general election.

I would love to see Senator Clinton and tell her a few things.

1. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
    2. Bill Clinton would not be my husband.
    3. Rocky lost!

April 3, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  15. Very Concerned American

Why are Americans even considering Senator Obama.
    What am I missing?
    Obama is just talk with no experience. He has a radical racial minister and is somewhat unpatriotic.
    There is no way that Obama can win against McCain.
    Maybe everyone on this blog is a Republican?

April 3, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  16. trudy mac donald

Excellent choice Mr.President,as Obama has the right judgemrnt from day 1,

April 3, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  17. Jay

Barack Obama IS Jimmy Carter. Two very weak people who have no experience whatsoever. A Carter endorsement means nothing, since The Carter Presidency was the worst in modern history.
    Obama's Presidency ( if, by a miracle, he is even elected) will make the Carter years look like the Kennedy years.

April 3, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. mp

I'm sure you will go with the winner Jimmy.

April 3, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. Kevin G

Obama is like the African American version of Carter. A push-over politician who can be persuaded easily by others.

April 3, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. Estelle

All OBAMA and CLINTON supporters who are planning to vote for McCain if their candidate is not the nominee should have to explain this to the Soldiers in IRAK, the spouse, children and friends of those who died IRAK...

They should also have to give and explaination to those who WILL DIE in consequence of this IMATURE IMPULSIVE DECISION.

Wether you want it or not, you ll be partly responsable, and you ll be an acomplice to G.BUSH.

April 3, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. JIM

What change do you want. You think obama will bring in the change. I don't think so. He is only talk no substance. You will see that if he is elected. America elected bush for 8 years, thinking he would do something, yes the war he did, they are making another mistake for alteast another 4 years. People don't learn from their lessons!

April 3, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. Lizzy

You know, if the attitudes I see on here of many of the Obama supporters is indicative of the kind of people he attracts, then I am really disappointed. Some of you posters act like a bunch of spoiled little whiney bratty kids. But then... I was a delegate to the SD-10 Senatorial convention here in Texas last Saturday, and I saw it all over the place there (with over 7600 delegates & alternates in attendance). It is really sad to see grown people act like such childish dimwits.

Now– it's Carter's priviledge to back whoever he chooses. Whether it's Obama or Clinton, it's his choice. That was pretty much what I read as being the response from the Clinton camp, too. End of story.

April 3, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  23. Marc

Where is Cheryl at. Once again, something good for Obama, and she is no where to be found. Change Cheryl

April 3, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  24. matt w

oh yeah, all those rich hillary supporters threatining with money, obama can raise it on his own. what a concept, actually having people who bieve in you donating small amounts across the board.

Wait till hillarys real fund raising numbers come in, she has
    no money cause it all came from a small group of ultra wealthy people and its all been spent. Then there is obama crushing the numbers every month.

Hillary and her supporters need to to away

April 3, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  25. THE CORP

Not an endorsement anyone would want. Obama may however turn out to be an even bigger pacifist than this tool his. This is what happens when you don't have a draft and oblige citizens to serve a greater cause than themselves. Entitled, self-righteous, mamby-pambys. The Ol'Hilly Billy will only give more reason to those on the fence not to vote for Barry-Barack- Hussein-Obama.

April 3, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |