April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.
Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice."

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. HAM

Well... they do have a lot in common... neither of them are experienced at the time of the nomination... in Carter is sure showed... let's hope if Obama should win that it's different this time.

April 3, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. Mike, Arkansas

I think Obama has gotten like 5 superdelegates his way in the last week? GO Obama!! We all cannot be wrong here ya know? Maybe there is hope of Americans after all with a majority with good heads on their shoulders.

April 3, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  3. Change 2008

For the past week I’ve been searching the web and HRC’s web site for a copy of her Ear Marks, Tax Returns for 05’-07’ and the donor list to the Clinton’s library. Would someone PLEASE indicate where I can find the said information?

I found Sen. McCain’s and Obama’s.

Thx you!

April 3, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. sozzi

Pres. Carter, let's go, the train is leaving the station.

April 3, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. Rich from Ohio

..and the Obama train keeps rolling....

April 3, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. Gail

We all respect your service to our country and your impact around the global.

Dems 08

April 3, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. Anonymous

The kiss of death

April 3, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. been burrito

I respect President Carter, but his is just another political jab. He does not like Bill and is making Hillary paid for it.

you support obama I'll stop my contributions to your causes.

April 3, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. Vacman

Jimmy Carter's potential endorsement is another great name backing the Obama express!!!

April 3, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  10. Wise Choice

I think it's great that he supports Obama. It goes to show that Carter in all his wisdom can see through divisive politics and support a new dawn for America; not just for us and our children but for the rest of the world too.

April 3, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  11. Chris from San Antonio

Queue the Hillary Supporters who respond with "Carter doesn't matter."

April 3, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  12. Charlotte

Wrong, he will not heal this party, nor will he win in November. Waste your vote if you want. I guess the dems. don't want to win in November?

April 3, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  13. Chitown in Chicago, IL

Awesome! Way to go, Jimmy. Considering that Carter is not only an extraordinary person, but is probably the most well-respected living former President, his comments bode well for Obama.

April 3, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  14. Tanya K

If Carter sees something in Obama, maybe I should take a closer look.

Clinton-Obama 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  15. Justin

Although I disagree with his endorsement of Obama, coupled with the slew of other prominent Democratic endorsements of Obama, it seems like it's getting harder and harder for Clinton to make a case. Except, of course, to the people who actually matter, the voters.

April 3, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  16. for Hillary

We need more good people in politics and less people like Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Hear me out, I was a supporter, but I am not crazed. I can see the tactics that they are employing and I think they are gross and shameful. I can barely look at them now.

I want more for America. Hope not fear. The courage to heal and move forward. I am so happy about this prospect. I am tired of the fighting and lies. People are not perfect, but we can move closer to perfection.

April 3, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  17. Independant

The party is lining up behind Obama. Lets win back the White House!!

April 3, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  18. ps

I respect president Catrter. I strongly beleive He is most respected president for the last three decades not only in USA but throughout the world.

Howver, I disagree with president Carter about his perception on Obama

I can tell that Obama will be the divider not the uniter. He has a tremendous amount of anger aboute white people in bottom of his heart. He will be totaly failure as president because he has attitude of revenge. He does not give any values on the pride that he pronounced loudly quite often

April 3, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  19. Sal in Phoenix

It figures, the worst president in U.S. history supports the weakest candidate..I'm not surprised.

April 3, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  20. Susan, TX

This is awesome...I didn't realize he was a super-delegate! You're right Scott, I wonder what the Clinton supporters will say. They become mean...when a new superdelegate or endorsement does come out for Obama....

April 3, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  21. rose

We all can now read the writing on the wall. Clinton, I think it is finally now for you to fold up and call it a day. Why do you want to still continue with the same washinghton game and expect a miracle. And by the way, Where is your tax returns? We refused to be fooled this time around. It is not all about the Bushes and the Clintons.

April 3, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  22. DF

I have always respected President Carter. I think his decision to support OBAMA is the wrong decision but I still respect him and his right to make his choice in good conscience.

April 3, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  23. mrspanther

Wow!!!!! Dude that is a big endorsement. Way to Go Carter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  24. Kay

When the greats of the past back you, you are on to something.

Go Obama!!!

April 3, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  25. Kirk in New York

I hear it's good to have the peanut farmer industry on your side! Nice for the grand ol' man to weigh in...he's a national treasure, and I suppose something of a treasure for Obama at this point.

April 3, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |