April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.
Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice."

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. wanda

I am disturbed that you would post such language that is used by Lady in MN. I hardly think she should refer to Obama supporters as Kool- Aid drinkers. This is very sterotypical and racist and I would hope that you would remove the post.

I do not care if this gets posted – I just want to ensure attention is brought to that very offensive post.

April 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  2. A DEMOCRAT '08

Don't let the sniper fire hit you on the way out, Hillary.

April 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  3. Christine, Tampa

To the person who said Carter's endorsement doesn't matter. He's a super delegate. That's one more in Obama's column. That matters.

April 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. Larry Buchas

A man of character and dignity understands which candidate has the same qualities.

April 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. Yes we can

This is huge...
    He said this in Nigeria. I understand Africans are watching this election the same way Americans do. They all for Obama. You will see the rallies when Obama secure the nomination.

I understand that the Chinese invested more than 400 billions, over the last 5 years, in Africa. America is loosing the compitition there. However, with president Obama, things will change and all Africa will on US side.

April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  6. jdona

With this economy, and gas prices this high, the endorsement of Jimmy Carter will sink Obama. Everyone is already making comparisons to Carter's inexperience that led to oil shortages, gas lines down the street, rationing with you only able to get gas every other day, and if you ran out of gas before your day, tough luck. Remember having to turn your heat down in the winter and wear the infamous cartigans to try and keep from freezing to death? Obama needs Carters endorsement like he needs another expose on Jeremiah Wright.

April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Mike ...Albany, NY

Jimmy Carter's problem was that he was 20 years ahead of his time. A great man, probably the most honest and honorable president we ever had. Problem was, greed and "look out for #1" took over and the public was an easy mark. Just look how the "Regan Revolution" has destroyed almost everything good in this country. I am for Obama because I recognize his potential as a healer and am not surprised that Jimmy Carter recognizes the same thing.

April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  8. Don Fitzgerald

A great American President may support Senator Obama. That is good news for the Democratic Party. President Carter is a great American President because he refused to fall into the same trap that destroyed President Bush's Presidency. He refused to be baited into a senseless war in the Middle East. I am forever grateful to his personal strength in refusing to cater to " the military-industrial complex"! Whom ever he may support, be it Senator Clinton or Senator Obama, it is a great addition to either side!
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, BRING THEM HOME, ALIVE. NOW.

April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  9. Jessica

SO skimming the ticker reveals 5 photos of Obama, 2 of Hillary and 1 of McCain. And they claim no bias???

April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  10. Andrew

Lets see if Hillary's pork spending, tax returns, and contribution to the Bill Clinton Library have in common? Could the people that benefited from Hillary's pet projects, turned around and gave these monies as a donation for the library?

April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  11. politicalmanipulator

Would someone please interview the white congregation from Rev. Wright's former church? I would really like to know their feelings!

April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  12. Fabienne

The superdelegates are much wiser than I thought, they are definitely not getting into the Clinton's fake game.

Thank you president Carter. Obama is indeed the world's choice!
    Fabienne from Canada

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  13. Ken, LA California

Another great endorsement, I hope Bill and Hill wont go ballistic on him. Clintons should cut their losses the democartic party is bigger than their ambitions, we are fed up with mornachies.

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  14. Chido Williams

So whats left for Hillary-it was the superdelegates thing-now where is it-if they are all going for Obama, what does that tell you? Cmon America-it is ok to admit something is not good for the country and hey we still respect you.

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  15. @americans

I got 3 questions for you Billary:
    1.) Where are your TAX RETURNS?
    2.) Where are your EARMARKS?
    3.) Why wait till APRIL 20TH, 2days to PA Primary before you release your March campaign donations?

Waiting for time to doctor your numbers and lie, twist and distort your failing campaign?!

Billary, do us all a favor and DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP OUT!!!!

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. CLEAN

Its actually pretty funny because all the CLINTON supporters are getting nasty on these boards. Example A:

Lady in MN April 3rd, 2008 12:23 pm ET

I have 3 questions for you kool aid drinking Obamapologists. I will be impressed if you can answer one in an informative and rational manner.

1) All I hear you whine right now is “What about her tax returns”….”where are her tax returns. Its a fair point, but please explain to me what could be possibly near as damaging in them, as compared to having Wright as your pastor (not pasture Obamabot) for 20 years.

2) I also consistently hear “Do the Math”. Fair enough the math is impossible for Hillary, but why don’t YOU do the math. Please get Obama to the needed victory in the electoral college in the GE. NOTE – OH, FL, MI, and VA cannot be counted as he will not win them….see current polls. (I’ll start you off with CA, IL, and Vermont). GOOD LUCK

3) If CNN and MSNBC were as in the bag for Clinton as they are for Obama…..Do you honestly think Obama would be in a statsistcal tie like Hillary is now.

WAKE UP AMERICA

Once again, all we see is the Clinton "fail-train" pointing fingers at Obama, as if he is the enemy. Maybe this Clinton supporter should try proving why Hillary is the better candidate, not why he isn't. And another thing, this "WAKE UP AMERICA" thing is getting really old, like what exactly does that mean? Trust me, we Americans are awake-....hold up...I am dodging sniper fire here in my office.......-to the lies and dirty politics Hilarity is playing.

LOL Hillary=fail *thanks for playing*

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. jj

as others have said, Carter was one of the poorest choices for president we've ever had, but if Obama gets in, then he would be the poorest choice. Too unknown and what is known isn't good, if people will just look beyond the speechs. He's a great talker but then so was Hitler, also to the impressional young. Sorry, but 18 doesn't hve enough life experience to really see some things clearly, they are usually joiners and that's why Obama went for them. Hope they don't regret it. If Obama gets the nom then McCain will be president

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  18. Mary Sue

Wow. I'm very happy for Obama. Every day, he gains a little more ground.

Despite that horrible Rev. Wright, I sincerely hope Obama is who he says he is. It would be refreshing to have a calm, intelligent, articulate president in the White House.

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  19. barackoprah@gmail.com

So, he got VP spot?

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  20. Adam

Is this even a good thing for Obama?
    This is like Bush endorsing a Repub candidate 12 years from now.
    Obama supporters are so twisted. Everything involved in the first Clinton administration is terrible (even though it was some of the best times in US history) but he's nothing compared to one of the worst presidents in history (Carter).

Obama would be just like Carter. A lame duck 4 year president (although if you look at how he's polling in OH, PENN and Florida it will be hard for him to get even that).

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  21. Debi

Hello Carter, thank you u great American and Humanitarian.
    My god bless you.

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  22. cyp

Jimmy Carter. Very nice man. Perhaps the worst recent President.

Is he trying to get us to vote for Obama, because he wants to move
    a step and be the Second Worst President ?

April 3, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  23. Norbert

People like Carter and Rep. John Lewis shouldn't be superdelegates if they're afraid to exercise judgment of their own. If superdelegates were supposed to simply reflect the choice of voters in their districts or states, then why HAVE superdelegates? It takes guts, not a "monkey see monkey do" mentality. Carter and all the bigshot politicos have to prove they're not racially prejudiced. How about proving your not misogynous? Oh, I forgot. It's ok to be that way against women. Especially in the Bible belt. Carter and Kennedy are jealous of the Clintons as well.

April 3, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  24. JMarie

Pres Carter was true humanitarian. this is very meaningful.

April 3, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  25. DS

To paraphase, someone once said that "Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by those who are doing it."

And to paraphrase, someone else once said, "The art of flying was not born from contemplating staying on the ground."

Possibilities turn into probabilities when thought and intent is coherently aligned.

So to those that say Obama cannot win in November, I'd say it all depends on where we put our collective focus.

Yes WE can.