April 3rd, 2008

Clinton backers: She must win popular vote

Corzine and Murtha are supporters of Clinton.
Corzine and Murtha are supporters of Clinton.

(CNN) - Two prominent supporters of Hillary Clinton suggested Thursday the New York senator needs to best rival Barack Obama in the total popular vote to have any chance at winning her party's presidential nomination.

In separate media interviews, New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine and Pennsylvania Rep. Jack Murtha both indicated they believed Clinton will be unable to convince enough superdelegates to support her if she finishes second to Obama in both the pledged delegate count and the popular vote.

Speaking on CNBC, Corzine suggested it won't be enough for Clinton to argue she deserves the nomination because she has won more crucial swing states than Obama - a talking point the senator's campaign has long argued.

"I think it would be a very hard argument to make," Corzine said of that position. "I'm a very aggressive supporter of Senator Clinton, but I think you need at least a popular vote."

Corzine also suggested he himself may cast his superdelegate vote for Obama should Clinton fail to win the popular vote, though the New Jersey governor insisted he thought Clinton would come out on top in that count if the Florida and Michigan contests were counted.

Murtha echoed Corzine's sentiments in an interview later Thursday, saying, "Clinton has to win Pennsylvania…She has to be ahead in the popular vote to have any chance at all of getting this nomination."

Clinton is heavily favored to win in the April 22 Pennsylvania primary, though recent polls suggest Obama may be narrowing the gap there.

Most estimates currently have Obama leading Clinton by approximately 700,000 votes in the popular vote. If the results of Michigan and Florida — the two states that were penalized for moving up its primary — are factored in, the gap is approximately half that.

Re-vote efforts in both states failed last month and it appears highly unlikely the results of either of the earlier contests will stand, meaning Clinton will need to achieve decisive wins in several of the 10 remaining primary contest to have a chance at overtaking Obama in the popular vote count.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. S. Shay

Wow. Finally someone in her camps speaks the truth, Lord knows she hasn’t. The bottom line is that Hillary Clinton is going to have to blow Barack clean out of the water in the next few contests. That won't happen. But she’ll try her best to sully him up (she’s already started with that plant of an ignoramus who was hounding Obama for a picture earlier. He was obviously trying to make the point that Obama would pose for photo opts but wouldn’t pose with the average Joe. Well I suppose not when the average Joe is ignoring Obama’s security and insisting on taking a picture when he’s clearly been told no.) I fully expect the cr*p to hit the fan and I fully expect the American people will respond by giving even more to Obama’s campaign and by voting for him in the primaries. It’s over Hillary. And by the way, I saw that your campaign got $20million in March, PAY YOUR BILLS!!!

April 3, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. Candice

Thank you Maxine! If this farce had Obama as the headliner he would have been drummed out of the DNP after 3 straight losses let alone 11. Hahaha

If HE had pulled all the crap he's put up with since Feb. 5th not to mention campainging against and ENTIRE family of political pirahnas who claim "this is the fun part", would we even be having these conversations? No. MI/FL would be a moot point, as would all the other distractions ala the kitchen sink.

This is why I love Barack's campaign and his continuing to rise above the sewer he's trying to help free the entire country from and dolng a darn good job of it too on every level.

April 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  3. Go our girl

Hillary will win! Obama will lose! Hillary 08

April 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. Hillary?

Can one Hillary supporter talk about her character and integrity? Can you say anything good about her without putting another candidate down? Just one. And if you sound like you're 13 years old, I'll ignore the comment.

April 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. Jesse

Why doesn't Rev. Wright answer questions. Where is he looks to me like he is hiding.

April 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  6. Rob

I am constently amazed that the Clinton people keep talking in terms of "All she has to do is [fill in here] and she can still win the nomination." By saying she needs to win the popular vote is as good as an admission of defeat. There is only one thing driving the Clinton campaign now - ego.

April 3, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  7. HH

And the music is getting louder. It will be so great to see the monopoly of familes will finally BE OVER-BUSH-CLINTON-BUSH-CLINTON NO MORE.

The last time I checked this was America and should not be run by 2 families.

April 3, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. LULU

GET THE MESSAGE YOU OBOMA ARE A JOKE AND LIER !!!! WE WILL FELL APART IN A HEART BEAT IF YOU WERE IN CHAGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. dave

first, in order to be transparent, am a mccain supporter....
    but even if the delegates from MIch and FL are not seated, HRC can very well argue that she has accumulated VOTES from those states,
    in fact a much greater # of total votes in FL and MIch than obama...
    so in fact, the DNC can say that the delegates from those 2 states should not count, but in terms of the total # of votes achieved,
    the total # of votes from the 2 disputed states are a strong bone of contention..... especially since Obama is in really no position to be claiming as HIS the uncommitted voters.... these could as easily be attributed to Richardson, or Edwards or Kucinich or Gravel or the other dems in the race at the time, but for Obama to claim the entire lot of uncommitted VOTES is illogical, unfair and theft....
    MCCAIN/CONDI 2008!

April 3, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  10. Dave

If Rush would have called Hillary the things Randi Rhodes said, you can bet it would have made the Political Ticker.

April 3, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. RFB

Unity, you're forgetting the remaining States that haven't voted as yet. DUH!

Nikki, he souldn't have been on any of the ballots! DUH!

April 3, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Jessica

You can't just count Florida and especially Michigan without having complete re-votes. Obama wasn't even on the ballot in MI, and who knows how being told their votes weren't going to count affected turnout in both states.

You can't guarantee that Clinton would win under different conditions, or that her margin of victory would be enough to overtake Obama.

April 3, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. John

Some of the Obama supporters are as usual, miscontruing the comments of Governor Jon Cozine (D) NJ,and Rep. Jack Murtha (D)PA.Simply put,what the two Democrats are highliting-is the stratergy they are working on to push Hillary to the finish line at the GE.It is Hillary all the way.

April 3, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  14. Thomas

Release me from this state of unrest, by melting the ice that grow in my chest. These things I live to see, have poisoned my eyes and made me blind. I am stuck under the clouds, like a rock under the sea. The rain pours from my eyes, like tears from the sky. Sorrow flow like a river that is flooding my soul. I hear voices that tell me not to despair: that all I need is a breath a fresh air. As I look up from the bottom and search for the light. A glimmer of hope seems to brighten the sky. Like a voice from the heavens screaming for chang. Saying we can do it, if we all work together. My heart seems to warm, the ice starts to melt. the clouds seem to part, and the river to dry. A hand reaches out to pull me out of the mud. I see millions of people just like me; working together to pluck the rock from under the sea. The things we can do whe we all work as one.
    VOTE FOR OBAMA, AND WE ALL HAVE A CHANCE TO BE A PART OF THE LIGHT!

April 3, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  15. Independent for Obama

That is about the most intelligent remark I have heard from the Clinton camp.

April 3, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |