April 3rd, 2008

Clinton backers: She must win popular vote

Corzine and Murtha are supporters of Clinton.
Corzine and Murtha are supporters of Clinton.

(CNN) - Two prominent supporters of Hillary Clinton suggested Thursday the New York senator needs to best rival Barack Obama in the total popular vote to have any chance at winning her party's presidential nomination.

In separate media interviews, New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine and Pennsylvania Rep. Jack Murtha both indicated they believed Clinton will be unable to convince enough superdelegates to support her if she finishes second to Obama in both the pledged delegate count and the popular vote.

Speaking on CNBC, Corzine suggested it won't be enough for Clinton to argue she deserves the nomination because she has won more crucial swing states than Obama - a talking point the senator's campaign has long argued.

"I think it would be a very hard argument to make," Corzine said of that position. "I'm a very aggressive supporter of Senator Clinton, but I think you need at least a popular vote."

Corzine also suggested he himself may cast his superdelegate vote for Obama should Clinton fail to win the popular vote, though the New Jersey governor insisted he thought Clinton would come out on top in that count if the Florida and Michigan contests were counted.

Murtha echoed Corzine's sentiments in an interview later Thursday, saying, "Clinton has to win Pennsylvania…She has to be ahead in the popular vote to have any chance at all of getting this nomination."

Clinton is heavily favored to win in the April 22 Pennsylvania primary, though recent polls suggest Obama may be narrowing the gap there.

Most estimates currently have Obama leading Clinton by approximately 700,000 votes in the popular vote. If the results of Michigan and Florida — the two states that were penalized for moving up its primary — are factored in, the gap is approximately half that.

Re-vote efforts in both states failed last month and it appears highly unlikely the results of either of the earlier contests will stand, meaning Clinton will need to achieve decisive wins in several of the 10 remaining primary contest to have a chance at overtaking Obama in the popular vote count.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Obama!

Woohoo!!

This is fun!

I love HRC, but I am voting Obama for my President!!!!

The drama continues... what will Hillary supporters say now? Maybe something intelligent? nah, what fun would that be? It would make these comment sections really boring anyone, though it might up the integrity of back and forths :)

April 3, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

How is Hillary going to win the popular vote when she's so – well – unpopular?

April 3, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. that's fair

That's only fair as long as they count all the votes... it has to look transparent.

April 3, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. Johnny K

Doing the math, it is hard to see Clinton pulling the numbers that will be needed to overtake Obama in either to popular or delegate votes. There just aren't enough primaries left. I have been surprised that there has been little discussion of Hillary's "experience" or disclosure of her White House schedule. Clinton alleges a significant experience advantage over Obama, despite having only 6 years vs. his 11 years in elected office. Granted she played a key role in a developing a failed health care proposal early in her husband's first term, but I am unaware of any other policy making experience or role. Is there any merit to her claims? Very important to know if I am to accept her experience argument. Why hasn't there been more scrutiny of this? I personally have close relationships (as many of us do) with people in high profile positions, but having a friend that plays in the NFL does not make me an experienced football player any more than being married to a former president makes Hillary an experienced politician. So again I ask, if this is being put on her resume, we have a right to know if there is any veracity to her claims.

April 3, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  5. Roxanne

I agree with them, 100%. I am a Sen Clinton backer, I love her and would support her all the way to the convention, but since both Sens Obama and Clinton cannot get to 2024 in delegates, the plan B of Superdelegates should be the popular votes, which would go down very smoothly with most democrats.

Many of us could get "closing" feeling great that it was the one who most democrats voted for as their nominee. Florida and Michigan and all the primary states would have to be figured into the outcome.

I think with that kind of a resolution, I would feel that it is fair and I could support the nominee 100% even if it is Sen Obama.

Right now what I am fearful of, is that the old boys club is going to prematurely force Sen Clinton out of the race for a sort of an Obama coronation, and I find I would suffocate just thinking about that scenario.

April 3, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. SBvoter

Calling all Hillary supporters.
    Lets all send at least $5 or $10 today. Lets show Obama camp that we matter and our vote counts.
    GO HILLARY!!!!!!
    I'm sending mine today.

April 3, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. that's fair

that's fair as long as they count all the votes and looks transparent. There are 50 states.... all the votes

April 3, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  8. david goldman

CLINTON HAS TO WIN THE OVERALL POPULAR VOTE, TO GET THESE

BOYS HELP..THAT HOWEVER, IS MATHEMATICALLY NOT POSSIBLE

WITHOUT A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF CHEATING. WHICH I DON'T

THINK THE DNC WILL DO. WE DON'T WANT ANYMORE CHADS.

April 3, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  9. st louis typicl whte male

And she'll do that! I can accept it if she does not get the nomination as long as Florida and Michigan are given their voice in this. What I will do with certainty, as an independent for Hillary, will be to vote for the second most experienced and person of integrity – McCain. I can accept if Hillary doesn't get the nomination – but I will not vote for a two faced golden boy who has done nothing to better the lives of inner city Chicago as he's claimed.

April 3, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. Hillary 08

We Want Hillary As Our Next President! Not Obama Mama Or Mcsame

April 3, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  11. jujub

Clinton (as well as all other presidential candidates) AGREED to NOT seat the delegates from Florida and Michigan because they violated the DNC rules, so she is not entitled to the popular vote from those states, anymore than Barack Obama...oh, I forgot. Barack Obama wasn't even on the ballot in Michigan.

April 3, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. Mimi in Chicago

Billary will not win the popular vote.
    I feel sorry for the MI and FL voters – their state representatives messed up their primaries and should be fired for it!

April 3, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  13. AJ

Why on earth cant all of these blowhards that are making predictions keep out of the race and let the elections run their course?

April 3, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  14. Lee WV

There is no way that the votes in Fla .and Mich can count.The delegates should be seated in a way that is nondecisive to race.How would you count 328,000 to 0 in Michigan???These are prominant supporters of Clinton.Give it up or say hello to President McCain.

April 3, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  15. RENEA,PLYMOUTH,MI

FLORIDA HAD A TAX ISSUE ON THE BALLOT.THAT IS WHY 1.7 MILLION SHOWED UP TO VOTE. IN EVERY STATE THAT HAS VOTED THERE HAVE BEEN MORE DEMOCRATICS WHO SHOWED UP TO CAST THERE VOTE THAN REPUBILCAN EXECPT IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA.

April 3, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  16. No Hillary

Hey Billary Supporters, let's admit, THIS RACE IS OVER. Let's endorse Obama and move on to the next round of defeating McCain.

April 3, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Joanne

I keep leaving comments but they never appear. Where are the 2006-2007 tax records? Afraid to release them before PA? Hillary is a joke.

April 3, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  18. Denis

Yes but all the votes must be counted and that means Florida and Michigan. Obama cannot be nominated if he does not have the popular vote as well which includes these 2 states. If they exclude these states I will vote Republican for McCain, period. Many others will do the same so the DNC has to pay for the re-votes in the 2 sates or else.

April 3, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  19. Mikeman3000

Correction!!

"Corzine also suggested he himself may cast his superdelegate vote for Obama should Clinton fail to win the popular vote, though the New Jersey senator insisted he thought Clinton would come out on top in that count if the Florida and Michigan contests were counted."

Corzine is our governor. He used to be senator but he's been our governor for a while now.

April 3, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  20. Fred

Her and her supporters are riding a dead horse. She cant even pay her bills or her campain people. Her campain has gone down hill from the start. It is not the direction I want this country to go. And I dont want sombody pissing down my back and telling me its raining.

April 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  21. kenn

I think what both senators said hits the nail on the head,it´s not like they are not being loyal to the Clintons like they often claim but, being realistic and having the voters in mind: be it the Clinton or Obaman supporters.

April 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  22. christine

I think we just need to face reality that clinton cant win this time period, they have tried everything on this earth to put obama down and they are not winning, i believe what the bible say they is a season for everything and i believe this is obama season, just let it go, it was not ment to be,

April 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  23. mimi de la cruz for OBAMA

LORD HELP US. THIS IS MORE THAN I COULD HAVE HOPED FORE.

I HAVE A NEW FOUND RESPECT FOR CORZINE AND MURTHA.

THEY JUST TOLD HILLARY, YOU WIN OR YOU DON'T WIN.

IT'S ON YOU. THAT MEANS HILLARY WILL HAVE NO DIRTY HELP.

April 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  24. Cindy

Hillary the people have spoken!

And you you state in your NEW ad " ASK ME" – Let me do just that:

Why is it that you keep moving the stakes everytime Obama meets the previous bar you and your campaign post?

Why do you inist on seperating this party?

Why do you claim that you belive in transparency in much the same way that Obama does, however, you have yet to share with us your tax returns or what your campaign raised last month?

Why did you feel the need to embellish what "really" happened in Bosnia (which by the way you did 3 times- so it is no accident)?

Why have you mislead america into believing that you have 30 years of direct experience in foreign affairs?

Why can't you manage the financial aspect of your campaign?

Why is it that you can't seem to pay your bills on time?

And afterall all of these facts, why do you believe that you're better than Obama? Haven't "SEEN" why yet!

April 3, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  25. Niky

At least these people are being honest. It's an intelligent reaction.

April 3, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |