April 3rd, 2008

Former GOP rep closer to independent White House bid

Bob Barr is pondering a Libertarian presidential run.
Bob Barr is pondering a Libertarian presidential run.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Republican Congressman Bob Barr of Georgia is inching closer to seeking the presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party, and plans to shed some light on his plans at a weekend party gathering in Kansas City.

Two sources familiar with Barr’s deliberations say it is their understanding he will make clear he is ready to seek the Libertarian nomination if there is evidence of significant support within the party. Both sources are active in Libertarian politics and spoke to CNN on condition of anonymity.

Barr is scheduled to deliver the keynote address at a regional Libertarian Party gathering this weekend.

Contacted Thursday evening in Atlanta, the former congressman confirmed he was considering such a campaign, but would not discuss the specifics of what he planned to tell the weekend meeting.

“I am planning to address the delegates and I will say I am not planning on wasting their time,” Barr said in a telephone interview. “I am planning to have something fairly significant to say.”

–CNN Chief National Correspondent John King

Filed under: Bob Barr
  1. Venus

Hi Bob! Welcome to the party – I know McCain can use your help!

April 3, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  2. Alison, FL

Cool...take McCain's votes so the Dems don't have to worry so much. What a loser!

April 3, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  3. Gorbashov, Long Beach, Ca.

Don't forget Gravel!

April 3, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  4. rosemergy

So this guy is going to be battling Gravel for the Libertarian nomination?

April 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  5. Ernest

Is saul also among the prophets?

April 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  6. Sheila

Why not? Stranger things have happened..

April 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  7. Conan

Sweet, a four way. Maybe Nader has a chance......

April 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  8. KCBob

Having more choices is always a good thing.

Perhaps Bob's supports are able to spell... from reading the posts here the HRC supporters appear to be illiterate fools! I guess thats to be expected though.

As long as Hillary or McCain dont end up in thw whitehouse we will see 4 years of an administration that will work for the people and not corporations.

Save America! Anyone other than McCain or Hillary!

Right now Obama is my choice.

April 3, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  9. aware

Forget it Bob!

You were part of the hate fringe, and people still remember! You can't revive hell on wheels again for the Conservatives. The lunatic fringe on the far right has shrunk. Try the far left . It is just picking up steam! :(

April 3, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  10. Kris

Is it unheard of to think Barr could be serious? Is it so awful to have a third party, just because you're afraid your precious TV Star Candidate won't get all those independent votes? I'm happy to see a viable Libertarian candidate in the race, no matter the odds of him winning.

Then again, I don't vote for the "winner." I vote for the person whom I believe in.

April 3, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  11. sylvia

Hillary needs to run independent!

April 3, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. Cal Jim 2

Look out Barr. If Hillary loses the Dem. nomination, she should run as an Independent or a Libertarian. That would put a twist on the Nov. G.E., don't you think so? I bet Obama and the Obamanations of America would love it.

April 3, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  13. Pamela

Didn't the Georgians vote Barr out of office? Go away Bob.

April 3, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  14. Joelle Racine, WI

Much better for AMERICA is Bob Barr than McCain or Obama!

NEVER McCain!

Never Obama!

April 3, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  15. Bubba

The egos of politicians never cease to amaze me ! ! ! But go ahead and run...and lose.

April 3, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |