April 3rd, 2008

Growing number say country ready for black president

Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.
Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll suggests that the number of Americans who believe the country is ready for a black president is on the rise.

Seventy-six percent of those polled in a CNN/Essence Magazine/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Thursday say that the country is ready. That's up 14 points from December 2006, at the start of the presidential campaign.

"Some of the increase in the number of Americans who say the country is ready for a black president is a simple recognition of Barack Obama's success in the Democratic primaries," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director.

Full story

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: Poll
  1. Bebble

OK, so now more Americans are ready for a Black President. Did the poll ask what age group made up this poll?

As far as a woman becoming President results, well the male ego will never be able to accept a female in charge and do a better job!

Where I live, if a poll was taken, it would be reversed results.

April 3, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. Sylvia

I am ready for a black president.....BUT NOT OBAMA
    I would have voted Powell without even blinking!!!!
    Hillary or McCain....NEVER OBAMA

April 3, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. Paul

PENNSYLVANIA: About 70 Jewish leaders in Pennsylvania signed an open letter expressing support for Obama, saying he has a 100 percent voting record on Israel and praising his recent speech on race.

April 3, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. Tom

Gee, I'd love to point out how biased CNN is being here, but it's so obvious I guess I don't need to.

They're going to change their official name to ONN. All Obama, all the time.

April 3, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. Freida NYC/Frustrated with CNN

Jim,

I agree with you. Colin Powel will be an extraordinary president, Obama will not. We know nothing about this fool, he is simply not trustworthy period.

April 3, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. Mary

I agree-it is what woman. I've been ready for a woman president for years, but not a dishonest , manipulative and ego-centric one.

April 3, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. Raum

Is the question ready for a great President? One with a brain?

Then yes, Obama 08!

April 3, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Leah DiMarco, TX

We are also ready for a woman president – but NOT Hillary!

Obama '08

April 3, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Ratgurl

I don't think the question should be about the country being ready for a black man as president. It should instead be more along the lines of whether we are ready for the RIGHT PERSON to be president.

This time around, the right person (or the one who's being perceived as right) just happens to be a black man.

April 3, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. cynthia

My question is why not?? this is the 21 century!!!

April 3, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. mndharmas

The country is definitely ready . It is the establishment that is not. media included

April 3, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. Tosha-Atlanta, GA

This is the problem why can't we be addressed by our name and not our race. Race should not matter, just the person. For those of you who cannot support a non-white male candidate get over yourselves!

April 3, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Its True

God, I'm just waiting for the day that race doesn't matter at all. Its sad that people have to even consider it but this just shows how shallow we are as a country. I'm not voting for Obama for his skin color, he brings more to the table than that.

April 3, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. Diane

the media pushed this guy in our faces every day...... he is arrogant and has no record to be president.

April 3, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. Tom

It is time for change let get Obama to be our president.

Obama 08

April 3, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. ECHEWEOZO

seein is beleiving

April 3, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. Slick Hilly

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. It's Slick Hilly's turn, this time. I earned it. It's owed to me. If I don't get the nomination, I'm taking you all down with me.

April 3, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Maggie

I am ready for any color President, the question is , is this candidate ready to be a President, is he or she experienced enough to lead this country. In my opinion the color neither the gender should matter if the person has enough experience and capability to lead us.

April 3, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. Jim Shimmer

Yes we can!
    We certainly are!

No doubt!

Obama is like the Messiah!

April 3, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. St. Louis

The racist will come out on this one. However must Americans don't care about Obama's race. They want better health care, economy and affordable housing. He could be green if he can get this done.

April 3, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. ECHEWEOZO

we are ready from day 1

obama 08

April 3, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  22. ariel

God bless this beautiful country.
    Obama/strickland 08

April 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  23. sacto joe

SO many who post on this site are "posing" as Hillary supporters or Obama supporters, when in reality they are neither. They are just trying to make us REAL democrats think we're fighting amongst ourselves!

The will evaporate like summer mist when it's time to count the votes come November!

April 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. Independent for Obama

Yes we are!! I am a middle aged white femalefrom the south, and looking forward to this GENTLEMAN being our President

April 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. Robert in Toronto,ON

I'll tell you what America is NOT ready for – Hillary Clinton for President! If she was running the country, I'd move here to Toronto :-)

April 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |