April 3rd, 2008

Growing number say country ready for black president

Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.
Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll suggests that the number of Americans who believe the country is ready for a black president is on the rise.

Seventy-six percent of those polled in a CNN/Essence Magazine/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Thursday say that the country is ready. That's up 14 points from December 2006, at the start of the presidential campaign.

"Some of the increase in the number of Americans who say the country is ready for a black president is a simple recognition of Barack Obama's success in the Democratic primaries," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director.

Full story

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: Poll
  1. INDY PENDENT

To: Jimmy April 3rd, 2008 4:05 pm ET

But we are not ready for a woman president. Look at that commander and chief show with Geena Davis – cancelled. On the other hand there have already been 2 black presidents on 24. Co-incidence? I think not.
    Hillary is fighting an uphill battle. May be in 4 years.

Jimmy,
    That has to be the worst example of anything. The Clinton followers think this is a TV Show.

April 3, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  2. Real Issue

The real issue is not the color, but trust worthy and competence to lead this country.

Someone has repeatly lie to the public. He said he was not in his pastor's racist speech in one week, and then admit it one week late. He told public and ohter government two version of his position towards NAFT.

This guy cannot be trusted.

April 3, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  3. ND

Unless he belongs to a black-activist church and cares more about Africa than the US.

April 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  4. Herman LA, CA

Not only is the United States ready for it's first Bi-Racial President Barack Obama,

The world is saying America can only restore its image and foreign policy if Barack is the next president of the United States.

Imagine what this could do for the U.S. and the world…

Yes we are

Yes we will

Yes we can

Obama 08!!!

April 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  5. dmw

Just not Obama. He is a racist, arrogant, inexperienced, and copies his ideas from others, including Hillary.

I will not vote for him and I've always voted Democratic for President.

April 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  6. LV Delegate

the questions is not if we are ready, but when will the day come when color of person's skin, their gender, religious or sexual preferene are no longer objects of distraction.

I hope in my liifetime....

April 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  7. Will

I don't think so. I am a typical white person, and I will not vote for that black racist, along with probably 70% of typical white people will not vote for Obama. Chew on that. Obama will be a loser and the republicans will be in the White aqgain.

April 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  8. GG

Americans are scared of female leaders.....

April 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. sozzi

Why does the Media keep on labeling Obama as Black? I think the media is bias. Why can't they say Obama is bi-racial?

April 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  10. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

I'd vote for Geena Davis over Hillary Clinton in a New York minute, but I don't believe the voters most critical to an Obama victory are ready or willing to do it.

April 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  11. Gary of LA

Black or white? What is important to me is the experiece and readiness to take the job on Day One? Who is the ready to take the job on Day One? Training is not provided!

HILLARY is the most qualified to lead us!

April 3, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. demo craxy

It is not his color, but I understand the whole issue of him being mixed race.
    however, Senator Obama has what it takes to bring this country together and also what it takes to restore the USA's image, and diplomacy around the world,

YES WE CAN OBAMA 08

April 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Darryl- Montebello

After reading ALL the negative comments directed at the race issue, I had at one time during this campaign believed America was ready for a black president, but I'm not too sure now.

I WILL vote for Barack, I just hope & pray it will NOT be a vote for martydrom.......

April 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. Peter from N.J

It is not a matter of race , gender and color.
    People look for a great president.
    Hillary 08

April 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  15. BIG PETE SR.

Yes we can!!!!!!!!!!!!! not just an African American President; he also has the abilty to pull this country together even if some people are not ready for this change.Those of us who are christians do not see the color of a persons skin but the content of their character!another 'GREAT MAN SAID THAT".

April 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. Brian

umm hello he is a half white president!

April 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  17. Leon

Sorry CNN - not buying it. Obama can raise all the money in the world but he will not make it to the White House - Americans are not ready for a black president.

Say no to Obama for president.

April 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  18. Yolanda /San Antonio, Tx

There's some of us who have been ready for sometime and that goes for any nationality as long as they're qualified and trustworthy. Leave the baggage at home and stick to the affairs and problems of home (USA) or world wide.

Obama has proven himself to be the man for the job. Tell Whoopi to run and then I will vote for a woman.

April 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  19. Clinton to McCain

Collin Powell would be the right Blackman to be the first President, Not Barack Obama . He will lose this battle .

April 3, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  20. Mike in Houston

America is ready for a black president. However, being black (or a woman) shouldn't be the only qualification needed.

Ferraro was right, if Obama was a white male, he would still be in the Illinois state legislature.

That said, if Hillary's last name wasn't Clinton, she would be a low-level attorney somewhere in Hicksville.

April 3, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  21. TAHARI, CT

I thought Id never see it in my life time!

Like Michelle, these months have been some of the proudest moments I have felt as a black female American.

April 3, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  22. Michael Guinn- Ventura, CA

I want a President who represents the people of this Country rather than themselves and their egos.
    This Nation is ready for a REAL President again and Barack Obama is that person.
    The color of his skin has nothing to do with it. We are ready for real CHANGE. We are ready for OBAMA.

April 3, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. Lisa from GA

If Obama was white and with the same potentials.. I would still vote for him.. If Clinton was just honest maybe she would be in a better position....

April 3, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  24. Phong Nguyen

Hillary is a gutsy fighter! This is a first contest when people discount experience because they are charmed by S. Obama's talk of change! I want to see him change his church first!

April 3, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  25. Desari

I am so tried of americans calling biracial people black. So you are saying you recognize his black father but not his white mother. This somehow makes no sense to me. He has little pieces of america in him and thats why he is the best person for our country

April 3, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |