April 3rd, 2008

Growing number say country ready for black president

Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.
Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll suggests that the number of Americans who believe the country is ready for a black president is on the rise.

Seventy-six percent of those polled in a CNN/Essence Magazine/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Thursday say that the country is ready. That's up 14 points from December 2006, at the start of the presidential campaign.

"Some of the increase in the number of Americans who say the country is ready for a black president is a simple recognition of Barack Obama's success in the Democratic primaries," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director.

Full story

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: Poll
  1. Freida NYC

I am ready for any real black American president, just not Obama. he is not a real American... don't you people see it during his speeches!? He never says i am proud to be an American. Instead he says, he ows his success to this country. Obama, like the rest of the world think Americans are stupid, ignorant, and naive. The sad thing, is that there is some true to that, Americans are believing everything this fool says. To all of you Obama lovers, he is anti-American, wake up please. It is not too late yet. Vote for Hillary so that you won't regret it.

April 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. OBAMA 08

YES WE ARE AND YES WE CAN.

April 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. Pho

It's HIGH time we had a black President. And I'm not racist or sexist, but I think Obama would be just as great if he were white (he *is* half white).

April 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. John Kay

This guy is skinny but very tough; no wonder everybody is supporting him. He really believes in America and very patriotic too. He has won the mind of old and young, men and women,black and white and many more. Thanks to his honesty.

April 3, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. Quinn

America has matured a great deal over the years. Anyone can be president as long as they bring good ideas, good judgment, and whatever is needed to earn the voters trust.

America is ready for a woman president too. I just don't tink that woman is Hillary.

I'd like to see Claire McCaskill run next time. She is the real deal!

April 3, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. RW

Wether we are ready or not; God will have the last say. Trust me it will not be about the color of the skin, gender, nor what we as mankind believe experience to be. God need someone to run this country who has a heart after His own kind. So who cares what America feels about having a black president. This should not even be a concern or
    question asked if American believe it is not racist.

Unfortunately reading some of the comments racism is definitely alive and well.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Whose it going to be hillary

Yes! we are ready for a black president, but we are not ready for a unqualified and unexperienced person, I mean whose ready for that??? all talk and no game.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  8. Dallas

Very MISLEADING

Is there a poll asking if the country is ready for a female president, to be fair?

April 3, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  9. Lourdes

Why don't you do a story about how sexist the country is and how backwards it is when it comes to a woman in charge?

April 3, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. Anita

Definitely Colin Powell is my preferred black male candidate for POTUS.

I would much prefer a black female conservative or moderate in place of Obama

April 3, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  11. Dear CNN

Another slow day at CNN. Please stop brining us back to race. We want to move on and vote our new President into office.

CNN has become very negative.

April 3, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  12. Rita Z

The truth is America has been ready for a black president since Colin Powell toyed with and rejected the idea nearly 10 years ago. Had he run, he might well have won, but instead he blazed the trail for Sen. Obama. Although they come from different ends of the political spectrum, they share many of the same values and qualities: honesty, authenticity, leadership skills, intelligence and the ability and willingness to listen and work with others with whom they may not agree. And, from what I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if Powell ultimately endorsed Obama's candidacy.

April 3, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  13. Felly

People should be judged by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin. Obama'08.

April 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  14. Tyrone Brown, Seattle, WA

No, the country is now more ready for a President who:

– has the ability to communicate
    – cares
    – inspires millions of Americans and people around the world
    – listens
    – motivates others
    – represents what is good about America
    – takes responsibility
    – shows wisdom
    – happens to be of African American heritage

It shows that there is truly hope for our country, and that we might find ourselves one 'baby step" closer to getting past the divisive legacy of racism in this – the United States of America.

April 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. Tjaye

I thought the fact that the white males were NOT left in this race on the Dems side was already a sign that the country is ready for a Black President...and/or a Woman President. Even though, this will NOT be the year we have a woman. Anyone notice anything about the Republicans? No diversity whatsoever.

April 3, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. Dori in AZ

I'm a woman and if I could trust Hillary, I'd vote for her. But, she is a whiny, vindictive, mean-spirited little person with a hyperactive ego, a resume that better suits the Junior League than the Presidency, and an imagination that rivals less interesting fiction writers. Hillary can't keep her stories straight and has lost all credibility. And, to give her hubby ready access again to WH interns. . . Please spare us!! She and her family are always good for a laugh (unfortunately, usually at our expense). I had some hope for Chelsea, but her recent dismissive and arrogant behavior on the college campuses changed that. Too bad.

Sen. Obama is just a capable and dedicated man working on making his country a better place for all of us. Race, ethnic group, religion, whatever. . . None of those things matter. Just the person matters. Integrity is a big part of this. Without it, one has nothing. Obama seems to have what it takes to do the job.

What Obama lacks in himself, he can fill with a circle of capable and trustworthy advisers – not folks who would buy into someone's delusions and back sniper stories knowing they are complete fabrications! – and I trust that Obama would create that circle. I'm afraid Hillary would answer that 3 AM call and, after making a bad judgment due to her sleep deprivation, would try to cram lies down our throats to justify whatever she had just screwed up!

SI SE PUEDE! Obama 2008!

April 3, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  17. Whose it going to be hillary

Jimmy??????????? keep watching television and stay out of politics.

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  18. Jen B.

I thought Obama was a great candidate from day one. It had nothing to do with his being black.
    However, the notion of he and his lovely family moving in to the White House is very appealing, history will be made and I want to help make it happen.
    I am 61, white, female and by all accounts should be voting for Hillary, but her lack of integrity is a serious flaw in my book.

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. Black is not the real issue here

Very little experience is the real issue, the one Obama doesn't address.

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. " Garlic Nose "

Are we ready for a black president ? Maybe . A president with a connection to Rev. Wright ? No.

April 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. Tjaye

Um....Jimmy?? You do know that tv is not real, right?

April 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  22. Mimi in Chicago

BAKARI – I agree with you. Unfortunately, people DO judge based on skin color especially since this is such a high profile candidacy. Look at his name, look at his skin. It doesn't even matter that his mother is white – all some people see is a black man running for president and they don't like it! This is how America is and has been for centuries......sad but true.

April 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  23. tell the truth

Again who cares. I'm a black man it this does not matter to me. I'm ready for someone who is going to address some of the issues we are facing. Stop with all this BS. I vote for Obama because he address my needs. Look at his policy not his skin color. Hilliary is my second choice and McCain my third choice. Please think people with facts not this other stuff.

April 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  24. ATL - Atlanta

Bakari; I began following this campaign with the same feeling as you just stated. However, obama's racial comments and the way he has run this campaign have completely changed my mind. His true colors have come to light. He is not capable of anything outside of the..., well let's just say this, this country is not ready for anyone with obama's attitude. He refuses to wear an American Flag lapel pin for starters. That really doesn't make a difference except for when he opened his mouth about it. His anti-American stance doen't cut it for me. Where is his sense of pride for America? Why don't Americans get off their you-know-whats and quit waiting for the Government to give them everything. Majority of the whinning people waiting for a hand out are lazy good for nothing losers. Consequently, those make up most of Obama's followers. Chew on that for a while!

April 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  25. Sally

I dont always agree with the term 'ready' in describing acceptability of a black president by American people. The term suggests some kind of danger or surprise ahead, for which the country needs to prepare. Having said that, I think Americans have envisioned a black president for a while now, they just needed the right one to come along.

April 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |