April 3rd, 2008

Growing number say country ready for black president

Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.
Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll suggests that the number of Americans who believe the country is ready for a black president is on the rise.

Seventy-six percent of those polled in a CNN/Essence Magazine/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Thursday say that the country is ready. That's up 14 points from December 2006, at the start of the presidential campaign.

"Some of the increase in the number of Americans who say the country is ready for a black president is a simple recognition of Barack Obama's success in the Democratic primaries," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director.

Full story

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: Poll
  1. Proud2BAmerican-NOOBAMA

Molly; you are correctbut why has the media always talked about history being made and Obama being the first black President. All the media talks about is black/african american. Originally I supported Obama but that was only until his true colors came out. I'll be darned if I or my family will be part of that. It's obama himself as well as the media that has made this a race issue.

April 3, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. Go Hillary!!! Cosmic Comedy Queen!

What about a woman President? Ask another question in your skewed polls. Politics is spun out of contro.

April 3, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. peter

This poll is bull. Its just too sensitive a question to be answered honestly. If your phone rang, and a black voice at the other end asked that question, how would you answer? Some people will say "yes" instead of how they really feel, either because they feel intimidated or feel they must be "politically correct". I think the real percentage is 40-55%, no more. Just an educated guess.

April 3, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  4. MP

Hey Bill, Covington

You are mistaken. the poll said "A growing number of Americans" You are the one that needs to stop playing games. Learn to read before you write. Obama will be the next President of the United States Of America.

April 3, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. Valerie

You Americans make us laugh, your economy sucks, you're borrowing money from China, over 50% of you don't even own your homes........the list go on. Now you're supporting a black man that is so inexperienced to be a president.. You have waaaaay better black leaders than Obama. Given the state of affairs that America is in, you deserve Obama for president, you can just add that to your list of misery.

April 3, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  6. Jeff

We were ready. Ready for the first black vice president and president. We were ready for the first woman president and vice president. I still have the audacity to hope for both. It's ironic that to hope for the first black president we have to destroy the hopes of millions of others who hoped for both.

April 3, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  7. Jesse

I am ready for a Mother to be president

April 3, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  8. rules1958

Janet

stop kiddign yourself, you wouldn't vote for colin powell. if he was running you would have fault with him.

April 3, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  9. Debra

" A new poll suggests that the number of Americans who believe the country is ready for a black president is on the rise. 76 percent of those polled in a CNN/Essence Magazine/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Thursday say that the country is ready."

Why no Research about gender? How many Americans are ready for a female President? I guess that the porcentage might be lower, but it dosn´t matter. There should have been a reseach!

April 3, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  10. mike,Iowa

the way i see it race should not have any factor at all on deciding our president becuase it would be both racist and rude to suggest a young black man could not do a better job then a retarted Hillbilly. You wanna cry inexperience then you are discrediting presidents like lincoln and Jfk and not to mention Bill Clinton. But no one is saying anything about that... funny they are all 3 white. Another lovely convienence.

April 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  11. VOTER FOR TRUTH AND DIGNITY IN AMERICA

Yes we are! planning for the first Black President of the good ole' USA!!! Yes we can!!!!!!!!!Sen. Obama all the way to the White House.

Retired Professional White Woman for Obama from Day 1.

April 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  12. MaryAnne, TX

As a proud Texan, I grappled for weeks when the Wright issue came out, I was shocked! Then we as a family ( my husband and 2 college boys ) watched Obama's speech on race and were inspired to be better than ourselves. Yes, after some soul searching, this proud American white family would love to have Obama as our president!

April 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  13. Former Obama supporter

I feel that the people who are voting for Obama are voting for him because they think it will be “cool” to have a black president. The Obama camp doesn’t want this election to be about race, but they make it about race. Americans are ready for a woman president, but Americans don’t think it is cool. Come on America.

April 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  14. John

Color or no Color,Obama has an uphill task,and excessive baggage while on the hill climbing.With a 37% inexpirience National rating,it gets more and more a task to reckon with.

April 3, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. Yall betta wake up

Has anyone noticed that Rev Al Sharpton has not come out and endorsed Obama. Wonder why? I saw Rev Sharpton on some of the talk shows trying to defend what Rev Wright said and he didn't have an answer. Also, why did Obama call for Don Imus resignation for the comments he made, but not call for the resignation of his Pastor. He still has not answered the question of WHY he stayed in that church. Also, I am so sick of the media not asking Obama the tough questions about why he didn't leave the church. He was on Chris Matthews last nite & was asked why he didn't leave the church. As usual, he didn't answer the question & Chris Matthews let him off the hook. Chris is so goo goo ga ga for Obama. Thats why now I just turn to Fox news. At least they aint scared of Obama. Obie won't know what hit him when the Republicans get thru with him. The Dems are so busy swooning for this guy that they can't even see that they are going to lose the WH.

April 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  16. 4REAL

People are begining to see how he can lead this nation.

April 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. Mr. B.

I HAVE BEEN SAYING....... FOR THE LAST YEAR

AMERICA IS READY
    OBAMA 08

45 yr old , white, successful male fom Illinois

April 3, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  18. John

Question is,How many VP's. is Obama planning to appoint? 30? -Well McCain has 20 on his list! Hillary is not jumping the river,before getting there.It is a fact that Hillary has ideas of who best to trust with the second dock.

April 3, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  19. Ann, MI

I am ready for a woman president, just not the one running.
    That doesn't make me a traitor to my gender. It just means I have never liked her, I don't like her now. I felt completely unenthusiastic last summer when all anyone could talk about was Hillary Clinton. I was supporting Bill Richardson, but after reading excerpts from The Audacity of Hope, I knew I had found my second choice in Barack Obama.

I didn't vote for Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996 because of who he married. And I am sure not going to vote for Hillary Clinton based on the same criteria.

April 3, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  20. Valerie

America is ready for THIS black president, and not ready for THAT woman president. Given the right candidate, America is ready for anyone. Obama is the right candidate.

GO OBAMA '08

April 3, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  21. Big K

If Obama loses the election, will he ask for reparation?
    I'll stick with Senator John.

April 3, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  22. JOHN

SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE BIGGER LIERS THAN HALLIRY. COLIN POWEL AT ONE TIME DID HAVE A NOTION TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT AND BEFORE HE EVEN GOT STARTED THE MEDIA BEGAN TO TEAR HIS WIFE APART FOR SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION AT ONE TIME AND POWEL WANTED NO ONE MESSING WITH HIS FAMILY. YOU PEOPLE WOULD DO THE SAME THING TO POWEL THAT YOUR TRYING TO DO TO OBAMA. HE WOULD BE TO BLACK, NOT BLACK ENOUGH, NOT ENOUGH EXPERIENCE, HE'S A MUSLIM, HE WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM BECAUSE HE'S BLACK. WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE JUST TELL THE TRUTH YOU WON'T VOTE FOR POWEL BECAUSE HE'S BLACK.

April 3, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  23. jennifer

For those of you who say that they would vote for Colin Powell over Obama. That's fine except Powell is on team OBAMA.
    So basically you are Powell (LOL)

April 3, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  24. Percy

We sure are ready!! It's just that Senator Obama is not the one, not at this time.

April 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. Geri

Who are all the voters...where do they come from......why is CNN's poll always in Obama's favor//

April 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |