April 3rd, 2008

Obama raises more than $40 million in March

Barack Obama's campaign announced a March haul of more than $40 million, raised from more than 442,000 donors. There were more than 218,000 first-time donors, and the average contribution level was $96.

The figure is not official until the campaign submits paperwork with the Federal Election Commission. The official deadline for March paperwork to be filed is April 20.

The Obama campaign released the announcement the moment the daily Clinton campaign conference call began.

Read more: Obama raised more than $40 million in March

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Rose - Baltimore, MD

Bravo! Please donate some to Sen Clinton to pay her bills and also health insurance for her campaign -this will be for old friends sake.

I am glad to be a part of the Sen. Obama's campaign donors!

April 3, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. Chryssa

Amazing! So exciting to see the country coming together.

April 3, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  3. Brandon

One word... WOW!

April 3, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  4. Jaymes Spiekerman

good job!

Hillary '08

April 3, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  5. julie

Obama went down in the polls, and makes more money. you have to wonder where he gets his endless supply! I know ,this wont get posted, I wonder if cnn knows how many people in this country are very afraid of Obama being president.We know the CHANGE wont be good!

April 3, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  6. April in Texas

Well ok 40 million is ok.. Guess I will donate a tad more for the month of April.... I am sure April will be a better month.

Obama 08

April 3, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. ED.HAMMAN

THE U.S.A. NEEDS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  8. Janie Sanchez

It's so hard for me to believe that Obama raised $40 million from ordinary donors/citizens. I think something is fishy and it should be investigated. I heard that he takes money from the oil companies.
    Like I said, it's just so unbelieveable that he could raise that much money!

April 3, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  9. P Graber

A vote for Hillary Clinton means never having to say you're sorry to the rest of the world.

April 3, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  10. Congrats Barack

In the words of a wonderful song...."Ain't no stoppin' us now, we're on the move".

Hillary may have a lot of money and influence, but she is not bigger than America and she is not bigger than God. Bring it on, are you listening GOP.

Everytime Fox Not News puts up a photo of Pastor Wright, I send more money, because he is not running for the presidency.

Obama 08

April 3, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  11. Hill for Pres

you're all giving your money to someone who attends a racial separitist and anti-american church. good job.

April 3, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  12. THereisMore

He will still get my contribution for April. Let't go for 75M this time.

April 3, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  13. victor

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats all i can say. With all the rev. Wright stuff. Americans cannot be duped by the MSM.

April 3, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  14. greenfun

Newsweek reports:

"In a new ad, Obama says, "I don't take money from oil companies."

Technically, that's true, since a law that has been on the books for more than a century prohibits corporations from giving money directly to any federal candidate. But that doesn't distinguish Obama from his rivals in the race.

We find the statement misleading, because:

Obama has accepted more than $213,000 from individuals who work for companies in the oil and gas industry and their spouses.

Two of Obama's bundlers are top executives at oil companies and are listed on his Web site as raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the presidential hopeful."

April 3, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. nancy s

I proudly am one of the contributers to Barak Obama's campaign for the Presidency!

First time in my life that I have ever given money to a political campaign or person!

Since I heard a speech of his that inspired me profoundly (probably back in November) I have been contributing 100$ every month – except March – there I contributed the same amount twice.

For the first time I want a candidate to win.....

April 3, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  16. Reader-of-Many-Sources

I gotta say, I'm impressed at how this guy is inspiring people to wake up and get involved in politics and take ownership in their future. This simple effect might actually be better for the U.S. than . . . anything in a long time.

April 3, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. Carolyn

The fact that Barack Obama is continuing to raises money from hundreds of thousands of people every month shows the strength and intensity of his support. He is campaigning on behalf of the American people, and, in return, they are supporting him. His ability to raise money shows how frustrated individual Americans are that Washington politics and policy are dominated by corporate interests. When Barack Obama is President, the American people will have someone who cares about and listens to them!

April 3, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. Herman LA, CA

Let this be a clear signal to the Clintons & John McCain that Barack has the backing of the American people and that he will have whats needed to get the job done if it takes 1 trillion dollars he has it, we got his back no matter what.

Barack will have what ever he needs from here on out...

Obama 08!!!

April 3, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  19. THereisMore

Clinton would have 20M debt before she drops out. All her employees will not get paid and medical coverage. I hate to be in clinton side.

April 3, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  20. Jay

And the people have spoken

April 3, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  21. never happen

with an economy as poor as ours, i have one question, where are all these donations coming from. This is something that should be available to the american people. We have Katrina that has never been repaired, many tornados this year where people lost everything, people everywhere are loosing their home, gas prices are gouging us and not to mention food prices. Something is not right here and eventually the people are going to be rioting. I'd hate to see this situation get worse. So, all you politicians who are earning millions monthly, how can this be. And NO i do not trust this current government, and many of those in congress. People are hurting badly in this powerful country and it should not be.

April 3, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  22. Bukky

AJ April 3rd, 2008 10:20 am ET

Wow – the longer this campaign the poorer the ghetto will get. Where will they get the money for their malt liquor and crack?

YEAH NOT RACIST.. OK SURE

April 3, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  23. Tom

There's a little saying in finance that if you want to make money in the markets, watch what the majority of investors (lemmings, crowd followers, bandwagoners) are doing and then do the opposite. The reasoning is that the majority of people just follow the crowd without thinking. Such is the Obama campaign – The young and naive, the uninformed and the ostriches who hide their heads in the sand so they can't see the storm brewing on the November horizon for this guy.

April 3, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  24. Theresa

Many people who cannot afford to put gas in their vehicles or pay their mortgage woulda loved some of this cash.....What a waste of money...Is this the going rate of BUYING the Democratic Nomination??

April 3, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  25. Independent

GRIF...
    Oil money? Haleburton, KBR and Bush oil wealth, give me a break. You aren't thinking clearly

April 3, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |