April 3rd, 2008

Obama raises more than $40 million in March

Barack Obama's campaign announced a March haul of more than $40 million, raised from more than 442,000 donors. There were more than 218,000 first-time donors, and the average contribution level was $96.

The figure is not official until the campaign submits paperwork with the Federal Election Commission. The official deadline for March paperwork to be filed is April 20.

The Obama campaign released the announcement the moment the daily Clinton campaign conference call began.

Read more: Obama raised more than $40 million in March

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Brian

I'm sure the Clinton team will try to call the almost quarter of a million new donors to the Obama campaign "irrelevant." Let me tell you something Billary... YOU'RE IRRELEVANT.

And, you've lost. Get out of the race.

OBAMA '08!!!

April 3, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. zorba

Grif: Delusional dinosaurs like you are on their way to extinction.

April 3, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. bob

AND WITH ALL THAT M ONEY...

HE STILL CANNOT WIN A BIG STATE PRIMARY ONLY CAUCUSES

April 3, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  4. Paul

Shows how much support Obama has out there. What's that saying, "put you money where your mouth is"? Obama supporters back it up, Clinton supporters not as much.

April 3, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  5. Dylan

I'm one of those first-time donors! And I'm a starving actor!

GO BARACK!

April 3, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  6. Nat

I have a hard time believing that so many people want to turn the U S into such a liberal society. I am very sad . If this happens, it will be harmful to the nation and people who can think and reason and not just follow the liberal (socialist) spill.

April 3, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  7. Chris in Michigan

I wonder how much the Clinton Campaign raised?

Most Definately not $40 Million.

WAY TO GO OBAMA!

Independant for Obama '08

April 3, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  8. Joyce in Florida

He can only be getting this much money from big oil (which he stated that he will never accept donations from–lie lie lie) and from Oprah. I for one cannot understand where all the money is coming from. Some underhandedness going on here. I just love it how the news media is always praising Senator Obama. I know there has to be more positive comments regarding Senator Clinton, but CNN chooses comments. I wouldn't be surprised if they are contributors themselves

As I stated before, this man is so arrogant and his words mean nothing. Are you Obama supporters so wrapped up in his words that you are not thinking clearly? You really need to see the true picture of this man. If he becomes the nominee (which I really hope that HE DOES NOT), I will not vote for ANYONE. I am not so desperate to vote that I would throw away my vote for McCain.

It's either Hillary Clinton or NOTHING (which is what Obama is).

GO HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  9. Edward

Yes We Can! Together we stand divided we fall. Calling All Democrats and Independents, lets stand together Now!

April 3, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  10. Interesting

If he can learn to speak to blue collar workers, this thing is over.

April 3, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  11. JD

It is obvious that Obama knows to manage his money. Perhaps he could teach Hillary a thing or two. If she cannot manage her own funds how will she balance our budget? By borrowing?

April 3, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. Soldier from Bamberg, Germany

You know no matter what the Press says or the type of spin that is put on a situation, you can’t always fool the public. The nation knows for real change you need a real candidate and Barack H. Obama is the real deal… Congratulations and you can count on another donation from me this month as well…

April 3, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  13. k8

im usually pretty anti-censorship, but seriously how can that comment by AJ not be moderated?

April 3, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  14. Obamista NYC

Way to go baby...Guess all the Jeremiah Wright propanda paid off after all!

I have to admit, after all the comotion, it inspired me to support Senator Obama even more. He got my highest contribution to date of $200 after the media tried to crush him on this.

I'm glad to see that the far right wing critics didn't manage to scare people into abandoning Obama after all.

And another thing, why is Hillary claiming to have so much experience and can't even manage efficiently her own campaign? Everything that Obama produces, she always seems to have to postpone her deadline weeks or months later. This is all questionable to me...I don't know how people could support someone who seems to have little knowledge nor control over her finances.

April 3, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  15. Chris from San Antonio

It's 3 a.m. and the phone rings. It's your campaign staff wanting to know where their paychecks are.

April 3, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  16. HP Boston

As a former Clinton supporter I can see that Obama needs even more to win.
    $80 mil is needed by him to get him elected. the more money the more spin he can throw out there.
    Good job people.

April 3, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  17. Gbenga Show

$40 Million? Only fools doubt proof! Obama has proved it again; this is an outstanding movement for change. People are despirate. i am glad to be part of this change that is about to hit the united States of America. whoooo oooo!!!!

April 3, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  18. glhf

That's a lot higher than I expected after the crazy pastor...

Well Obama good job...we'll need you in November. Godspeed.

April 3, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  19. Lulu

Yes, and I will keep making small scarifies every month because I have HOPE and I BELIEVE in CHANGE! Houston, Texas Latina for OBAMA!!!!!

April 3, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  20. Mike in Orlando

Look at how the candidates manage their campaigns financially, and you get an idea of how they'll run the economy.

Obama 08

April 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  21. GF

That's great. Also, I would like to thank CNN for adding Senator Obama's name to the navigation bar. Now, if only his name was highlighted on the bar just as Senator Clinton and Senator McCain's names are highlighted.

April 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. Anna

I guess that his campaign now has the money to pay for the 15 million Americans that are to be left out of his health plan.

Health is as important as food, water and air. If you have them you live, if you do not have the tools to keep them you end up under a stone in a cemetery somewhere.

April 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  23. Monica-Kingsland

One must believe in this man in order to give like this...in case no one has notice, our economy is in a slump. Obama MUST be seen by many voters as a great investment opportunity.

UNDECIDED IN GEORGIA

April 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  24. briggette duque

I really look forward to the new president taking back our government and fighting for our struggling economy.

April 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |