April 3rd, 2008

Obama raises more than $40 million in March

Barack Obama's campaign announced a March haul of more than $40 million, raised from more than 442,000 donors. There were more than 218,000 first-time donors, and the average contribution level was $96.

The figure is not official until the campaign submits paperwork with the Federal Election Commission. The official deadline for March paperwork to be filed is April 20.

The Obama campaign released the announcement the moment the daily Clinton campaign conference call began.

Read more: Obama raised more than $40 million in March

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Mary Sue

Wow. This is impressive, especially given the hit Obama took with that horrible Rev. Wright and the fact that it looked like he only won one state in March. (Yesterday, we finally learned he'd won more delegates than Hillary in Texas, so I guess we can say he won two states on March 4th.)

I hope the superdelegates are watching this closely. Obama is bringing new voters and new money to the Democratic party. The superdelegates should be cautious about alienating them. The superdelegates should support the candidate with the most delegates, the most states won, the most popular votes AND the most money.

(P.S. Why don't my posts appear?)

April 3, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  2. sally

Where is he getting all this money from??? Aren't people curious???

April 3, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  3. pj

most pertinent information:
    Average Contribution = $96

April 3, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  4. solo boy

i think mrs clinton should take notice that the Obama airways has taken off without her on board. sad for her and bubba

April 3, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  5. mario white

My boi need to win.

April 3, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. Eezz

I am glad with this. Hope this further helps his campaign to reach more people who need to know more about him.

Obama '08

April 3, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  7. Erick Denor RI

I belive we have a better chance to win november election with
    Sen. Obama I am glad to be a part of Him......

April 3, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  8. Nina Bathy

Way to go!!! Let's go kick McBroke's butt !

April 3, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  9. DB

Woohoo for the Obama campaign!!!!!......"HATERS" please take your negativity elsewhere.

OBAMA '08!

April 3, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  10. JoAnn

How do you argue that you are the most electable when you've received less votes, less delegates, and less donations. And to think he raised this from everyday citizens in the middle of a recession right before tax day! WOW! Go Obama!
    I am more proud of Americans than I can express! We are less devided than our politics suggest. We are one people. We are one nation! And together we will write the next chapter in this American story with 3 words that will ring from coast to coast from sea to shining sea~ YES WE CAN!

April 3, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  11. Marvin-Baltimore, MD

WOW! Obana's campaign is the best. Like playing basketball...swish!!! 40 points.

OBAMA 09

April 3, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  12. Brian Rich

200,000+ NEW donors, on top of the 1 million mark he hit in mid-March? So he's got to be around 1.5 million unique donors by now, eh? So much for relying on maxed-out millionaires, Hillary! This college graduate is helping fund Obama $15 at a time, and I'm glad to see he's using it wisely!

Just another domino...

April 3, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  13. marlo marksmarlmarlo

in my opinion, that hillary clinton should get out of the race for president, stop lyiing and dogging obham, she continously- dogs him and thats awful. besides hes way ahead of her and will continue.

April 3, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  14. For Hillary 08

So many people support the Obamidable racist!!

April 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. HAM

I wonder how much Reznik gave him?

April 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. VA Republican

reading some of those comments make me sick. AJ.. your comment is racist and sick I wounder why CNN would moderate mine and not show it but they show yours. Grif... get over yourself and get lost. Arab Oil money will never go to a Dem. to a republican YES but never to a Dem. we only like people who are smart and who see the value of partnering with us. unless Obama truns republican, he will never see a penny.

April 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. Lourdes

AJ said: Wow – the longer this campaign the poorer the ghetto will get. Where will they get the money for their malt liquor and crack?

CNN - how can you let this racist nonsense get on the blog yet my comments (which are never offensive) always stay in moderation. AJ, you are a shameful example of the WORST of our country.

Morgan - get your facts straight, there are limits to campaign contributions and Obama does not take any lobbyist or PAC money. You can request a list of his donors from his campaign if you want to see it. His contributors are normal people, whose contributions are less than $100.

Obama 08 - you're showing us that you can organize, inspire, and lead.

April 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  18. david chu

Remember how clinton released her feb total on feb 28th and now she wont release her march total till apr 20, must be REAL ugly.

obama 08

April 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  19. RuthieM

Wow, I tell you, Obama and Obama campaign can manage my white house any day! The entire Obama campaign when the elections are over needs to pick themselves up just as they are and move straight into the white house and continue to run an impecable white house! I'm so proud of you all! Congratulations! PENNSYLVANIANS FOR OBAMA! Go go go Obama, Obama '08 and '12!!!

April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  20. jyh1920

I donated to the Obama campaign for the first time. I'm cheap and a tight wad and I don't give my money to anything I don't deem worthwhile.

Supporting Barack Obama's campaign for the Presidency was worth every penny.

April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. Kelly, VA

Woohoo Obama!! I am so glad to be part of the movement...I am one of those first time donors from March....this just says so much about his campaign...that he gets his support from small $25-$50 donations from those who really are ready for the change our country needs!!! Truly amazing. OBAMA '08 and '12!!

April 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  22. Democratic Soldier

Drop out Hillary. . . We don't want you!!

April 3, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  23. alex

Can i borrow some money please

April 3, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  24. barackoprah@gmail.com

Money talks.
    But why is he still fighting for the nomination?
    Doesn't he know how to spend money wisely?

April 3, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  25. Adam, Plano, TX

jw, canadian,ok April 3rd, 2008 10:12 am ET

CNN – this is not a sporting event, we don't need an inning by inning report on hits, runs, errors, etc (money raised).

considering it has to be reported to the FEC, that automatically makes it newsworthy.

April 3, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |