April 3rd, 2008

Obama recruits for post-primary fight

(CNN) - He's not the nominee. But Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama is starting to look beyond his party's primaries and caucuses, now organizing a grassroots effort to start in June - after the final vote of the primary season.

In an e-mail Thursday, the campaign announced the launch of an "Obama Fellows" program, to train young volunteers and assign them as grassroots organizers for at least six weeks over the summer. With re-votes unlikely in Michigan and Florida, the only voters still up for grabs at that point would be Democratic superdelegates - implying Obama strategists are openly building up a structure past the party's nomination fight, and in preparation for the November election.

–CNN Radio Correspondent Lisa Desjardins

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Independent for Obama

I'M IN! Just tell me where and when! GO OBAMA 08!

April 3, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  2. Klaus from Vancouver

Very Presidential! At least someone is thinking ahead to deal with McCain. He certainly has enough capitol to go at both McCain and Clinton. Wouldn't that just urk Clinton even more, that Obama look past her as a distraction and just focus on McCain. It would be a risk, but one that might just work.

April 3, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. Subir Sinharoy

No disrespect to anyone. But I believe, Obama is a smarter choice as next president.

April 3, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  4. VOTER FOR TRUTH AND DIGNITY IN AMERICA

Obama always plans for the future. I think Obama planned his
    method of receiving small donations on the internet long before
    Hillary even thought of it.

Obama 2008
    Retired Professional White Woman for Obama from Day1

April 3, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  5. Sergio

Hold your horses osbama. It is not over yet!

April 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  6. Charlie C.

Obama is looking forward... I like this sign and it's pretty clear at this time it will be Obama Vs. McCain

Obama '08!

April 3, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  7. Former Obama supporter

This is why people don’t like Obama. He is so cocky. It’s good to have confidence, but to be arrogant. I really hate that about him. It is a turnoff to voters.

April 3, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  8. Ronald

Hillary has 35 years of experience in planning this election! You can tell by the exemplary way she has run her campaign (fundraising, paying bills on time, blatant racism). Hillary all the way!!!

OMG, I can't believe I just misspoke. It must be time to go to bed!

April 3, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  9. Ernest

We are ready President OBAMA.

April 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  10. karen charlottesville, va

I'm happy to see that he has a strong, viable strategic plan for the summer and fall. Glad to see that he is not being distracted by the disarray of the competing campaign. He's demonstrating his leadership with clear vision and and a plan of attack going into the general election. Thank goodness he is withstanding the "Tanya Harding/kitchen sink" approach, and I am certain that the remaining voters will rise for a candidate who respects their intelligence and requires their commitment.. Obama 08

April 3, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  11. Peter Damoah-Afari

All statistics show that Obama will be the nominee. So, all HIllary supporters should start thinking of joining Obama's wagon to fight for the seat in November. Gob Bless Obama!!!1

April 3, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  12. Jeff in WI

I love how all these Obama haters seem to also hate the 1st Amendment...

April 3, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. cximines

Forward thinking, planning and preparation is always good. There is nothing wrong with being prepared when and if the opportunity should present itself. Kudos to Obama!

April 3, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. 4REAL

Obama is a smart man that will lead this nation. This is a good plan for young people to do some work that will help them in the future. Smart move Obama you are the man.

April 3, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. Someone PLEASE fix CHERYL's computer

Every time I read a blog I see CHERYL with 5-10 posts, all in caps and double spaced spewing comments that have nothing to do with the topic. If your posts had any beef to them you wouldn’t need the caps for people to read and pay attention to them. You keep bringing up Resko over and over again. If there was so much dirt on Obama about this, trust me, most of it would be out. I know what color socks Rev. Wright wore yesterday because the media (mainly Fox) is trying to dig up everything that they can about his ex-pastor. If there was so much "juicy" info on the Resko thing then I'm sure we would have heard it by now. You may want to take a peek at the Clinton’s tax returns before you start talking about shady dealings.

April 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  16. Tobias

I'm ready for a black president, too. But I'd like one with at least a smidgen of experience and perhaps one that didn't lie every time he turned around. He'll probably be in jail once the Rezko scandal hits full tilt so I wouldn't worrk about any "fellows' program.

April 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. TheLeftNut

Are we there yet?

April 3, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. Hispanics now for Obama

We love you Barack!!!!!

Si se puede!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  19. no to obama

Someone really needs to cut this peacock off at the knees.

HILLARY 2008

April 3, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  20. Nikole

TO: All Obama Haters
    Just stating on a blog that Obama will not win the GE DOES NOT make it true.

April 3, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  21. Beware and BeAware

Tragedy lurks in the general election....so sad

April 3, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  22. Valerie

Good idea or not! Obama your intense ambition is starting to show. Didn't Michelle & Oprah tell you; not to count your chickens before they are hatched?

April 3, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  23. INDY PENDENT

Where can I get a cup of this Obama Kool Aide everbody seems to be drunk with?
    Do Americans really want a Man with No Answers or Solutions, basically he is a Motivational Speaker.
    Is Obama Anthony Robbins with a mask on?
    Sure sounds like Presidential Material to me.
    Slurp Slurp Slurp….

April 3, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  24. Patrick

No one ever talks about the fact that Clinton's "Key State" plan is EXACTLY why Gore and Kerry lost. Counting on just a few key states instread of a 50 state strategy is a LOSING plan of the past. WAKE UP HILLARY.

April 3, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  25. SlapStick, FL

Hmmm as usual, I can already see that the CLINTONITES have arrived and spewing their hatred. Drawers and Panties in a Bunch!!! A good leader plans ahead and heads the plan. Once again, this is why Obama gets my vote because of being a natural leader; not a leader who feels that it is their given right to the Dem nomination. I noticed that when the drawers went to getting tight for Hillary, she stopped ignoring little states that she figured would not be worth it. Now she is trying to ride that Obama train into all states.

Obama 08 because he went to all the states!!!

April 3, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |