April 3rd, 2008

Obama recruits for post-primary fight

(CNN) - He's not the nominee. But Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama is starting to look beyond his party's primaries and caucuses, now organizing a grassroots effort to start in June - after the final vote of the primary season.

In an e-mail Thursday, the campaign announced the launch of an "Obama Fellows" program, to train young volunteers and assign them as grassroots organizers for at least six weeks over the summer. With re-votes unlikely in Michigan and Florida, the only voters still up for grabs at that point would be Democratic superdelegates - implying Obama strategists are openly building up a structure past the party's nomination fight, and in preparation for the November election.

–CNN Radio Correspondent Lisa Desjardins

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Roger B from Portland, OR

I love how some people are just putting their fingers in their ears, thinking Hillary has some way to win this.

1-She can't get close the gap in delegates unless she wins ALL the remaining states by large percentages.

2-She can't win the popular vote unless she wins ALL the remaining states by about 10 points

3-Without 1 and 2, she will have serious issues explaining to the remaining superdelegates to vote for her, and even some of her current supers have stated they will switch sides to Obama if she doesn't at least win the popular vote.

4-Even with Michigan and Florida as is, she wont be able to close the gap enough.

I am not saying Clinton should drop out. That choice is hers. I am just saying that people need to stop pretending that she really has a viable shot.

April 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  2. Fighting for Prestige

Senator Obama, will be a great leader, If anyone can remember President Kennedy was ridiculed often in during his journey to become President, it too was said that he was not experienced enough yet….. HE BECAME ONE OF THE GREATEST PRESIDENTS OF THE NATION. My reason for voting for Senator Barrack not because I owe anyone an explanation, not because of the color of his skin, nor the church he attends, but because I see the will that he possess the fortitude, courage even in the mist of those who holds bias racist demeanor towards his every effort, even though, deep down they know to be just for the nation. I deem to use what is rightfully mine. My “vote” my gift to him. I have nothing negative or positive to say about the Clintons. I would like to use the method that Senator Barrack and Richardson use from observing them during debates and in the window comments; they don’t seem to believe in throwing rocks. This President will bring the nation together our duties is to help him and not hinder him.

April 3, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  3. Fighting for Prestige TBMoore Jacksonville Florida

You will suceed Senator Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  4. Mary Beth

I am sorry NY..Obama has my vote. I am apologizing because that will send Hillary back to NY and that is a terrible thing to do to my home state, but I will put country first.

April 3, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  5. Wake up

He has to convice those red states he won the primary to vote for him in general election...How about FL, MI, OH, TX, PA , and CA you name all the big states...

How about NY?

Can he win anything big?

April 3, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  6. ddddave

she cannot win

April 3, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  7. joe

Plan away Obama - you are going to lose. You and Wright and Farrakhan and Rezko and the Weather Underground and all your lies and your cult supporters - you are all losers.

April 3, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  8. Time for Change

The United States as a whole continue to suffer but refuse to change. It great the Obama is looking ahead and not getting bogged done in the mess that is going on. As for as Fl and Mi, they knew the rules before the race started and now they are crying unfair. If the voters of those states want to be upset with anyone, they need to look with-in. If we as Dems do not unite behind Obama, we can blame no one but ourselves the next four years. Clinton was a great President but he allowed of jobs to leave the country on his watch.

Obama 08

April 3, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  9. kim portland, oregon

barack...call me!

April 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  10. Reality check #1

What a piece of ego this man is. I guess if he gets the nomination, McCain will get my "change over democratic " vote.

April 3, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. Beth

Sign me up !!! YES WE CAN

April 3, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  12. Theresa

Kinda like putting the cart before the horse eh !!! Don't be so sure of yourself Mr. NoBama

April 3, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  13. David

She cannot catch up to him in pledged delegates, and the superdelegates will never overturn that, let alone that she is a walking contradiction.

So quit moving the goalposts. It's time we can stop arguing, get over our petty hangups, and work together to fix the real problems in this country.

YES WE CAN.

April 3, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  14. cheer

Yeah, that is called strategy, judgement and leadership.

April 3, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  15. Joe in Southern California

you may win the nomination, but sir, you will not win the White House.
    Bill Ayers, Renzco, Wright........

April 3, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  16. Don't Trust Obama

April 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  17. Don't Trust Obama

my comment didn't even get posted for moderation

April 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  18. Vig

Obama is going to be in for a shock. Hillary will take the nomination – wait and see. As much propaganda has been used against Clinton through media, yes CNN and of course Fox News, the biased talking heads, the male jerks and the female jerks who snicker at Clinton and demonize her while idealizing an unknown, lightweight male of questionable patriotism will be eating crow in a few months.

April 3, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  19. Lee From Treasure Island Florida

Maya, Florida Officials THEMSELVES decided NOT TO DO A REVOTE, NOT TO DO A MAIL IN! IT had absolutely nothing to do with OBAMA. Nothing. Presently what is on the table as of yesterday, that the delegates will be sat, which is to Florida's delight, as THEY BROKE THE RULES, but booked hotel rooms anyhow...but the candidates still have to figure out the split. Read the latest news, the revote was never, at anytime, during this whole process denied by Obama...NEVER. Florida did not want one, did not have machine, could not handle it, NO MATTER WHO PAID FOR IT...READ THE NEWS...not just the spin.

April 3, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  20. Michael

Leave it to the Hillary supporters to spin this article. Obama won my state of Idaho and he'll do so again in the general election.

I got Sen. Obama's application in my inbox and I was considering it, and now I'm certain I'll sign up because if there's anything I can do to put the right person in the oval office then its not only my civic duty to do so, but it's an honor and a privilege.

I'll stand against the Clintons..Bill...Hillary..Chelsea..until the very day I die. I want my children to be brought up in a world free of Clinton hyprocracy and dirty politics. No dictatorships in the United States.

Obama 2008: YES WE CAN!!!!

April 3, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  21. Public eye

K. Celina, you're screaming into the wind, and we don't hear you. The Game is over, and you are all out of quarters. OBAMA is going to the WHITEHOUSE, because we are lifting him higher and higher. Sing glorious praise to BARACK OBAMA! Hallelujiah!

April 3, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. Bebble

Has anyone taken a good look at who's backing Obama??? They are all conservative. If he was a true liberal, he would not be surrounding himself with people who are miles away from the liberal picture he painted of himself. But then the college students wouldn't know this because they aren't living in the real world. Mommy & Daddy still pays their bill, health insurance, and fills their bank accounts.

Obama said he wouldn't take monies from oil companies; but they have contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars to his campaign.

For anyone who really wants to make an informed decision and not get into this low-life stupidity of blogging hate go to :
    factchecker.org
    There you won't get slanted, biased reports but true facts.

April 3, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  23. WhoisObama

I want to see NY and CA become RED!!!
    It will be HISTORICAL event!!!

April 3, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  24. WhoisObama

To Mary Beth:
    If you are really sorry for NY, would you please get out of the state?
    So annoying.

April 3, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  25. WhoisObama

MY point is Clinton will not win but it does not mean she will lose or Obama will win.

Do you understand???