April 3rd, 2008

Richardson: I never promised Clintons

CNN

Watch Bill Richardson's comments.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson on Wednesday sharply disputed Bill Clinton's reported claim that Richardson promised not to endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

"I never did," Richardson told CNN. "I never saw [President Clinton] five times. I saw him when he watched the Super Bowl with me. We made it very clear to him that he shouldn't expect an endorsement after that meeting."

Bill Clinton's comments reportedly came during a recent meeting with some California superdelegates. The San Francisco Chronicle reported the former president got "red faced" when the subject of Richardson came up and said, "Five times to my face (Richardson) said that he would never do that."

In the interview Wednesday, Richardson acknowledged he was "very close to endorsing" Clinton, but decided not to after the campaign got "nasty."

"I held back. I waited. I felt the campaign got nasty. I heard Senator Obama; he would talk to me continuously," Richardson said.

"The Clintons should get over this," he added.

Richardson, a former U.N. Ambassador and Energy Secretary in the Clinton administration, endorsed Obama late last month.

Read more: Richardson denies promise to Clintons

Related: Watch Bill Richardson's interview on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Mary - Independent

Richardson needs to get over himself! He isn't worth all the fuss and bother that the news media is giving him. Forget all of this stuff and move on!

April 3, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  2. Shawna

I think it's a shame that the Clinton's are dragging Gov. Richardson's name through the mud. It shows that they have a disregard for the opinions of others. Richardson made a decision respect it

April 3, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  3. pc

Richardson made a wise choice in endorsing Obama. The Clintons are "flip flop." You never know which Hillary will show up!

April 3, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  4. Realistic

Are you saying that a Clinton lied? I'm shocked, SHOCKED.

April 3, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  5. luis

Bill:
    is OK, no one cares at the end... good luck

April 3, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  6. JB Hull, IA

THe clintons and their supporters are such rediculously sore losers that it's painful for a committed democrat to watch

April 3, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  7. Celia Ann

I feel bad for Gov Richardson. He was in cabinet and did his job well. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize 5 different times. He is a very good negotiatior in Foreign Policy. I find it hard to believe that he was wishy washy in his nonn-endorsement.

Regardless, eveyone has the right to change thier mind. Isn't that what the Clintons are trying to do with Pledged delegates??? They want to have it both ways. IF IN FACT Bill Richardson did promise them, he has every right to change his mind on the principal that they are trying to ask Pledged Delegates to change thier minds.

April 3, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  8. Ellie

Gov. Richardson is to be commended. The Clintons ARE NOT entitled to anything and everything. Geez....you would think that they are Queen and King of the Democratic party and that everybody should just kneel at their feet!!!

Get outta HERE with that foolishness! Bill Clinton is already showing his TRUE colors by blowing out at a super delegate meeting. What a hyprocrite. If things don't GO the Clintons way they do nothing but throw a childish tantrum!!!!! GROW UP BILL CLINTON!!

April 3, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  9. Mary

I don't think Richardsons endorsement was anything more than his wanting or agreeing to something for himself. If Hillary was leading
    than I have no doubt he would have endorsed her. I also don't believe that he "didn't" promise an endorsement to Bill Clinton.
    I don't blame Bill Clinton one bit for showing his frustration. The media bias has been so one sided it's made a complete joke out of
    this election.
    No matter what Hillary OR Obama does....they deserve better than the awful way they are treated.

April 3, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  10. uday

And how many times did Bill say.." I did not have sexual relationship with that woman?"

April 3, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  11. sam

I so agree!! If by October it seems like McCain is going to win the election Richardson is going to endorse McCain.

April 3, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  12. Doug, Florida

Get over it Billary. You lose.

Obama 08

April 3, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  13. Scott

For someone who was in the news a few months back saying endorsements don't matter he sure seems to be hogging the headlines.

And for someone who ran on a campaign of experience it's marvelous how he's now backing the least experienced candidate

I guess some people will say anything to get elected VP. Judas indeed.

April 3, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  14. sam

He is an opportunist and a politician. He took enough advantage out of Clinton, and now he sees Obama on winning edge and it's turn to get something out of Obama. Disgusting...

April 3, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  15. Robin

Who do you beleive? Clinton or Richarson? It is hard to trust any Clintion, if not impossible.

April 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  16. Wayne

CNN!!!!! WHY IS IT THAT AN NEWS ORGANIZATION SUCH AS YOURS CANT GET OBAMAS SUPERDELEGATE COUNT RIGHT?. ARE YOU DELIBERATELY TRYING TO MISLEAD PEOPLE?.
    I AM SURE HIS SUPERDELEGATE COUNT IS BETWEEN 218-220

GET IT RIGHT!!!

April 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  17. Tom

Politics, politics, politics. Obama is one and the same, he's just better at the game!

McCain '08!!!

April 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  18. Jake

Clintons lying again. They sure are masters at it.

April 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  19. george

bill should not be calling anybody a liar ,liar poor billary

April 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  20. Adam in Indy

Sit back and watch the Obamabots go to town on this one...

April 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  21. Dan, USA

Sounds like more lies from Team Clinton!

April 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  22. LifeLongDemocrat

Either he want something like a VP slot or a plum position or he some ax to grind. This is another variation on the dishonesty of politicians.

April 3, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  23. Holly

Just like the Bosnian sniper fire? Just like "I never had sex with that woman"? Just like "Read my lips, no new taxes"?

Just like Clinton claims she will end outsourcing, when she brought the outsourcers here?

Will their lies never end?

April 3, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  24. Uncle Sam

Having studied the presidential candidates, especially the leading contenders, Barack Obama and John McCain, I have come to the following conclusion. Senator Obama is young, attractive, charismatic, and offers an inspiring message of hope and change. Many of us are drawn to him and the promise of what he may deliver. And then there's Senator McCain. He is old, battered, and scarred. He is not much to look at, his gestures are choppy, and his rallies are smaller and more subdued. And yet when I examine the lives and records of the two men, I come away with a different impression. Mr. Obama reminds one of fool's gold – at first shiny and glittering, but then disappointment sets in when one scratches the surface. Whereas with Mr. McCain, one is prone to initially underestimate his worth and cast him aside, only later realizing that in fact he is the real gold.

April 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  25. Tim

"The Clintons should get over this,"

'nuff said.