April 3rd, 2008

Richardson: I never promised Clintons

CNN

Watch Bill Richardson's comments.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson on Wednesday sharply disputed Bill Clinton's reported claim that Richardson promised not to endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

"I never did," Richardson told CNN. "I never saw [President Clinton] five times. I saw him when he watched the Super Bowl with me. We made it very clear to him that he shouldn't expect an endorsement after that meeting."

Bill Clinton's comments reportedly came during a recent meeting with some California superdelegates. The San Francisco Chronicle reported the former president got "red faced" when the subject of Richardson came up and said, "Five times to my face (Richardson) said that he would never do that."

In the interview Wednesday, Richardson acknowledged he was "very close to endorsing" Clinton, but decided not to after the campaign got "nasty."

"I held back. I waited. I felt the campaign got nasty. I heard Senator Obama; he would talk to me continuously," Richardson said.

"The Clintons should get over this," he added.

Richardson, a former U.N. Ambassador and Energy Secretary in the Clinton administration, endorsed Obama late last month.

Read more: Richardson denies promise to Clintons

Related: Watch Bill Richardson's interview on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Anonymous, Wilmington, NC

Hey Bill, take your own words to heart. "Just chill out, man... chill out"

April 3, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  2. Bacio83

He's not Judas he's Brutas.... stabing the Clintons in the back.... well we all know what happened to Brutas eh?

April 3, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. Marjon

Richardson can not be manipylated! Chapeau!! The Clintons should change their name into Lie-Clintons. They are willing to lie about anything. Is President Clinton trying to 'snipe' Richardson?

April 3, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  4. pa voter

maybe some of these "men" have a slight problem with the thought that a woman can win. wow, what a blow to the ego.

April 3, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  5. richard

Not until she's damaged Obama sufficiently for her run in 2012. Unfortumately, she'll NEVER go away.

April 3, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  6. Mark

Richardson is a back stabber and the Clintons are better off with out him.

April 3, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  7. ellenlans

Minds do change3 when there is more information- what is the problem

April 3, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  8. joe

Mah wife superdelegate relations with that man!

uh, I'm not under oath, am I?

April 3, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  9. Latinos In New Mexico

Bill Richardson.... You Are Done!

April 3, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  10. frenchie

And Bill Clinton thinks we should believe him Why?

April 3, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  11. Greg, Pennsylvania

Promises? When Bill said "I do" didn't that mean he would not drop his pants for other women.

April 3, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  12. TSD from Houston, TX

I agree with Richardson. He went with the candidate who best represents him. The Clintons need to stop their whining and run the race. I think that's impossible for them.

April 3, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  13. DMC, USA

That's it. I have been undecided until now. Obama will not get my vote. There are two other candidates in the race.
    thanks everyone!

April 3, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  14. MS

Judas! Traitor , that is what you are. You are going to love when Clinton gets the nomination. Eat your hat, loser, and and your master B.O.

Hillary 2008!

April 3, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  15. Karen in Cape Cod

I think that Bill Richardson should stop calling Clinton a liar! He would probably not even be where he is today if he had not been mentored by President Clinton!

April 3, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  16. Ken, LA California

Just goes to show, the Clintons are on an ego trip, raising money from poor Americans to cover their losses. The game is over.

April 3, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  17. Cynthia Harrell

LIES ,LIES,LIES ,more LIES from Camp Clinton. These people are beyond dispicable! Please leave and go back to Hollywood where they like you.
    I know that you will NOT post this as usual CNN. But I had to have my say anyway.

Any one but Hillary Rotten in 08.

April 3, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  18. Kat Schneider

Bill Clinton elevated Richardson to national attention and stature when he was president, and this is how he is repaid. Shame on you, Mr. Richardson, i.e., Judas. If not for Bill Clinton, NO ONE would ever have heard of you!

April 3, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  19. Debbs

I believe Bill Clinton. That's it, pure and simple. The media is trying to choose our candidate for us.

Forget me. I have a mind of my own.

As for Hillary and the sniper fire? She's exposed to sniper fire every day and manages to keep her head up.

Good for her.

April 3, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  20. Cynthia

All you Richardson and Obama naysayers – don't hate – appreciate. Bill Richardson gave his endorsement based on his own opinion and he has that right. Richardson has not given us any reason not believe what he is saying isn't true. On the other hand, we have sniper fire and I did not have sexual relations with that woman. YOU DO THE MATH!

April 3, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  21. Amber

Why is Ricardson is talking? Is this the only way he can get into the news? Hmmmm.........

April 3, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  22. ruby

He waited until he could get a clearer picture of which way the wind was blowing. This is so transparent and so pathetic.

Tell me again why we care?

April 3, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  23. JN

Hey Linda...I think the word you looking for is traitor....Unless Richardson works on the stock exchange...get over yourself!!!! and use proper english!!!!!

April 3, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  24. Tom Swift, Shopton

Bill Clinton is a known liar. It is in the record.

Bill Richardson, on the other hand, has no such record of lies.

I believe Richardson until proven otherwise.

April 3, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  25. Bukky

If Richardson is Judas... doesnt that make Hillary Jesus? I have yet to see her walk on water, but i have seen her dogde snipers bullets...Oh wait THAT WAS A LIE.

Richardson can support who ever he want, and IF he gets the VP position its not like he isnt qaulified...

April 3, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |