April 3rd, 2008

Richardson: I never promised Clintons

CNN

Watch Bill Richardson's comments.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson on Wednesday sharply disputed Bill Clinton's reported claim that Richardson promised not to endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

"I never did," Richardson told CNN. "I never saw [President Clinton] five times. I saw him when he watched the Super Bowl with me. We made it very clear to him that he shouldn't expect an endorsement after that meeting."

Bill Clinton's comments reportedly came during a recent meeting with some California superdelegates. The San Francisco Chronicle reported the former president got "red faced" when the subject of Richardson came up and said, "Five times to my face (Richardson) said that he would never do that."

In the interview Wednesday, Richardson acknowledged he was "very close to endorsing" Clinton, but decided not to after the campaign got "nasty."

"I held back. I waited. I felt the campaign got nasty. I heard Senator Obama; he would talk to me continuously," Richardson said.

"The Clintons should get over this," he added.

Richardson, a former U.N. Ambassador and Energy Secretary in the Clinton administration, endorsed Obama late last month.

Read more: Richardson denies promise to Clintons

Related: Watch Bill Richardson's interview on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Gail

Richardson should "get over it." He is not that important and neither is his endorsement!

Just let the primary system play itself out and see what happens at the end.

April 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. Jacqueline Samms

Where are her tax returns??? Why is the media not focusing on this???? Come on CNN.

April 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  3. Jo, ATL GA

Keep it up CNN moderators just show only comments favouring Obama.

the guys is a snake, What did Obama offer him??? Obama is offering Gore a position now I heard.... For his support too.

Obama will not win the presidency. He will never win FL or MI or OH.

Let see if he is looking to win all the red states he is winning now.

A vote for Obama is a lost vote.

April 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  4. dave

who cares go away you traitor. endorsement was too late, you waited till the end to make sure you picked the one that was winning!

April 3, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  5. Sheila

This is really getting silly...

Go Obama 08

April 3, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. Frank, Dayton, Ohio

Bill Clinton's angry response to Richardson's endorsement of Obama is yet another example of how the Clintons feel "entitled" to the presidency. They are not. Thank you, Governor Richardson for making the informed, RIGHT decision on who to support.

April 3, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. carolflowery

neither candidate is "entitled" to anything
    Americans dont owe anybody anything except themselves to have
    a great President, it will be McCain for me

April 3, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  8. ltd1974

In all honesty! The Clintons are saying the people votes means nothing. Good choice Richardson!

Obama '08

April 3, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  9. Superdelegate

look up the William Safire article about Hilary in 1996. You think these issues won't come up in a general election? Hilary is unelectable.
    Aww, I miss the days of journalism... back when news was news... as oppose to pop.

April 3, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  10. australian

"The clintons should get over this"... that's perfect!
    Last time I heard someone should "get over" something, it involved a kicking and screaming teenager...

April 3, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  11. SN from MN

Hey Holly! That's a joke, right? It was bush 41 that made the "read my lips" pledge. Probably happened before you were born, so I guess we could expect you to support the MT suit.

April 3, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  12. P Graber

A vote for Hillary Clinton means never having to say you're sorry to the citizens of the United States of America.

April 3, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  13. Dood

Doesn't matter, because McCain will win 40-45 states and send Obama back to the crooked Dem machine of Chicago.

Meanwhile, Richardson gets nothing for his trouble.

April 3, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  14. T. Thompson, Rockport

. . . .The polls show that Hillary's negatives are close to George Bush's. Shes also voted the least trustworthy. Therefore I believe Bill Richardson.

April 3, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  15. alleykat

The clintons have always had a problem with the truth. They have always strong armed people into getting their own way. I salute Richardson for going against the almighty clintons. N.H. already regretts backing them and by the way...Where are the clintons tax returns? They promised they would have them available this week. C'mon hillary you don't need another big lie on your list!

April 3, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  16. Rob

I used to have respect for Bill Richardson...not anymore.

April 3, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  17. vvvv

CLINTON! KEEP FIGHTING ALL THE WAY! IT IS YOUR RIGHT! GOOD LUCK, CLINTON!

April 3, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  18. Adam

Bill Richardson is a snake. We can see right threw you.

April 3, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  19. john

Everyone knows that Richardson switched loyality, it's as simple as that.

April 3, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  20. MV, Texas

His endorsement wasn't for sale, Ela? It went to the highest bidder!

April 3, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  21. Dood

OF COURSE, Richardson was promised something for his endorsement.

When are you people going to learn that Obama is just like any other politician?

April 3, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  22. inconvenient truth

The airport under sniper fire, proved the clintons are liers. I don't believe anything that they say. I believe Mr. Richardson when he said he made no promises he is an honorable, upstanding man.

April 3, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  23. Alice

PS Even if Richardson did say he would endorse Hillary, 5 times, 10 times, or a hundred times, why can't a superdelegate change his mind? Oh, wait! Hillary says superdelegates CAN change their minds...

April 3, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  24. carol

clintons should get over this. If it about loyaties then other people would never be elected. This shows how low clintons are sacrifising for power. I am really sick and tired of these families that wanna dominate power in washington.

April 3, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  25. Sebastian

Duck and run for cover Hillary ... the Swallows are returning to Capistrono ...

April 3, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |