April 4th, 2008

DNC returns funds to upset Florida donors

(CNN) – A Democratic National Committee spokeswoman confirms to CNN that the party has returned $45,000 to three Florida donors unhappy with the continuing uncertainty over the seating of that state's delegation at the party's presidential nominating convention this summer.

The move follows reports that some major Democratic donors from Florida and Michigan - the two states penalized by the party for moving their presidential primary votes to January - would look to have their donations returned if full delegations were not seated at the convention in Denver, or new votes held that would abide by DNC rules.

This week, Howard Dean met with Florida's Democratic congressional delegation and party leaders, and released joint statements with that group and with the Michigan committee looking to craft a resolution of the controversy in that state. Democratic state party leaders in both Florida and Michigan have announced that new votes are not logistically possible.

Filed under: DNC • Florida • Michigan
  1. William - North Carolina

More and more we are learning the the Democrat party is not about the "average working family." They are about power, control and favors like everyone else. They threatened Pelosi with $ and backed her down, now its the DNC. Next thing they will take will be Hillary's "sniper-proof vest."

April 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  2. ART in TX

All this because folks can't follow the rules.

April 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  3. Austin, Texas

man, most of you are ignorant jerks.

#1, i'm not going to contribute to an organization that did not listen to my input. That's like paying for a lottery ticket, without being eligible for the winnings.

I totally support the Florida Democrats who donated to the DNC, and hope the DNC learns from this mistake.

Yes, Florida and Michigan should have been punished. They broke the rules. But the punishment breaks the fundamental rules of our constitution, which clearly states the freedom to vote, and that no State can sign into law anything that infringes on this constitutional right. I guess the DNC found a loophole, since they arn't exactly a state.

But, knowing the consequences, should Florida and Michigan have been able to sign the bill that moved up their primaries, and ultimately disenfranchised their voters?

I vote, that Florida and Michigan have the latest primary dates next election cycle. They still get a vote then, but without the impact.

April 4, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  4. chris from IL

We should measure each candidates fiscal responsibility as ability to manage the economy by how each candidate runs their campaign. Obama wins hands down!

April 4, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. charlee

I'm glad they're getting their money back, they should! I'm sure I would be asking for it back if I were in there shoes, as would anyone else. So what's the fuss! As for the the Clinton's releasing their taxes today, well, you all have the right to choose to pay tribute to MLK, to read this news, or the Penn thing, quit looking for reasons to dislike, discredit and put down the Clinton's, did anyone acknowledge that they paid more than their share of taxes and donated more than needed to charites which doesn't include time that they have put in as well? Get over it people, so they make money, don't like it, don't buy their books, or listen to their speeches or benefit from the charities they contribute too. Quit looking for more reason to dislike them and just admit you don't.

April 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  6. Joe Workman

The original rules provided 50% of the delegates be seated. Donna Brazile pushed Dean's hand to remove ALL of the delegates. She is an Obama supporter.....go figure. She also said if the delegates are seated she would leave the Democratic party.......I say SEEEEEEE YA, don't let the door hit ya in the butt. She already screwed ALl Gore in 2000, now its Clinton, Obama or both!!

Also why should these donors not receive a refund? There vote is NO GOOD, why should their money be?

April 4, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  7. dylan in texas

I agree on every issue with democrats. i would even call myself a democrat. but there is one characteristic of dems that i do not agree with them on: complete wussiness! i have said it in the past, and will continue to say it! the reason dems always either lose, or defeat themselves, is because they have no guts. no guts no glory! wonder why clinton has been the only democrat in the white house in the last 30 years? wussiness.
    this election is supposed to be a shoo-in for democrats. no matter who the nominee is. when 80% of americans think the country is headed in the wrong direction due to a republican led white house, it should be cakewalk.
    but mark my words: the dems will find a way to lose. and the florida and michigan debacle is probably the beginning of defeat!

April 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  8. sok

It happens that any election issue comes from Florida Lolz

April 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  9. chris

I will never vote for Barack for the first time ever I'll vote Repubublican as I'm sure alot of Dems will. If he had a plan not just speeching ability I would be willing to listen. It is easy to say I wouldn't have voted for the war when that opportunity didn't present itself being you weren"t in congress. It is also easy to say that if Rev Wright didnj't retire you would leave the church after he has already left. Please take a conterversial stance once in a while

April 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  10. anonoymous

Here we go America is a free country where all americans have the right of free will and right to vote. We change this and now tell the american people in Florida and Michigan that they can not have their choice be heard for who should lead this country. Yes there respected state leaders changed the primary dates but the americans who live there should not suffer the penalties of lawmakers. Their votes should be heard. Figure this out though many republicans are changing to vote democratic, we ask why because they see Obama as being the easy of the two democrates to beat in November. So I say everyone act appropriately when making your choice because if it McCain and Obama this country is in for a little trouble in my opinion.

April 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  11. Monti, MI

To loli and bob and all these pseudo democrats which would rather vote for McBush (sorry, McCain) than for a democratic candidate named Obama ...
    Do whatever you need to do but please ... shut the f.. up. And never ever complain about only one more fallen soldier in iraq. You people are just annoying and very, very sick. You seam to forget, we're talking about the next president, not some &#% game here.

April 4, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  12. Jan in MI

Well, being from Michigan...I don't believe OBAMA can take Michigan in the GE.

I and a lot of people, we are near Lake Michigan, will not vote for Obama in the GE.

We will probably write in either John Edwards or Hillary Clinton.

Soooo, I think OBAMA is going to have a tough time winning the presidency.

April 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  13. Joe Black

Heck with $50 million in speech fees from Bill Clinton, the DNC don't need no stinking Florida donors!

Many Clintonites make a big deal that 10% (10 million) of the roughly 100 million the Clintons made went to charity.

Yes, the charities of people they wanted to influence! Nothing is done without a calculated effect.

It remains to be seen how much of Bill's $50 million came from Dubai, China, and other foreign countries and large corporations. It is legalized BRIBERY!

And how much does Mark Penn get from Colombia to whisper into Hilary's ear about free trade with Colombia.

And who ELSE is Mark Penn working for?

Hillary Clinton! The BEST PRESIDENT MONEY CAN BUY!

No, not YOUR money.....

April 4, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  14. karen

Hey CNN, always pulling the race card on HRC. What timing on MLK to hype up the whiner BHO. You should be paying tribute to the greatness of MLK himself , not your free ticket whiner BHO. But like a previous comment that was made, set back because BHO is really going to whine and throw the racecard fit himself when he does realize that the super delegates know that HRC is the real fighter. Why do you think they are not running in droves to BHO, because the real thinking super delegates know the stronger Prresidential Elect is HRC "GO HILLARY"

April 4, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  15. Eliz

Why are so many of you Floridians blaming everyone except your
    Governor CC. "I wanted to bring Florida to the forefront," said Gov. CC.
    Your Governor made the decision to move up the voting date. Hilary and Obama did nothing wrong. Why blame them? Everyone should just do as they said they would.

April 4, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  16. Pat

This is one helluva mess! CNN you are not considering the opinions of working people, who have to get home to their computers to leave comments in your blogs. The subject matter closes much too quickly!

April 4, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  17. Republican for Clinton

I have watched this race and have always been a Republican. This time around, however, I have to acknowledge the desire and fight that Hillary Clinton has put forth. It has been an uphill battle for her from day one. To all the Obama supporters, your candidate has basically had a free ride from the media. They have favored him all along, while literally destroying everything postive Hillary Clinton has done. I have to say, if Hillary Clinton had supported David Duke, like Obama has supported Wright, she would not still be in the race. This race is ludicrous and Obama has lied and misled the American public to no end. However, its not his fault, actually, the public has chosed to be "fooled" by this "Pied Piper". I still think Mrs. Clinton will win the nomination, especially now that Florida will be seated and you can bet Michigan will. Now, I know all the supporters of Obama will either not vote or vote for McCain, and that's ok....America will come out the winner because Obama will not be in office. I read a poem by Maya Angelo, who endorses HRC about her stamina, how she has been trampled in dirt, but like the dust of the dirt, it rises when the winds are howling and they are howling now in this political race. Wait and see....Hillary Clinton will rise and rise all the way to the White House. Hang in there Clinton supporters, you are on the winning team.

April 4, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  18. honkey white guy from cali

Ok1 come on now! I am for Obama too but this nasty nature some of you keep posting you are just as bad as Hillary i hope it does not hurt him because so many of the it seems uneducated Obama followers as they can't spell on a PC with spell check. First of all we don't need MI and FL to win in November unless your the republican national party using info from past elections to determine were and how we need to win we will win because Obama is changing the whole demographic. He has already done it in the primary and is already working on it for the GE so if these so called democrats supporting Hillary want to act like my 5 year old grandson then so be it through a fit! Everything they have said he could not do he has done and went above and beyond on the tax's who knows what will come from those records or if we can trust them who cares although i will say Obama even released his schedules without being ask too as did Sen Mc Cain. Obama supporters need to leave Hillary Clinton alone and let her self destruct all to her own devices. In every state in this primary the longer he has to campaign and get to know people the more his numbers grow and the more hers drop reminds me of the other new yorker in the republican race with all the money and name recognition everywhere he went his numbers dropped.

April 4, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  19. maureen

i live in pittsburgh pennsylvania and i can asure you all you
    flordia and michigan people we are on your side.

the media has been giving hillary clinton a bashing and now the
    DNC IS THROWING HER UNDER THE BUS, I SAY LETS STAND
    UP AND FIGHT JUST LIKE HILLARY IS WITH EVERY THING
    SHE HAS INSIDE OF HER.

WRITE TO YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND THE DNC AND TELL
    THEM YOU ARE MAD AS HELL AND YOU AINT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

April 4, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  20. Emma in San Jose, CA

DNC is definitely generous to Florida donors. If MI and FL delegates are seated at the convention according to the primary results, I will become an Independent. But I will still vote for Obama for Pres. Sen. McCain, instead of focusing on real remedies for the nation's current problems, he is doing what a lot of seniors do and that is reminescing about his life
    (I am 71 and a health care professional and have found this common about patients I have worked with who are McCain's age which is also my age.
    Hilary Clinton's voice has an aggressive tone when she does not like what she sees and hears. She is hurtfully manipulative and dishonest.
    We have no reason to believe her characteristics will change if she becomes President.

April 4, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  21. jp/michigan

Some democrats are more equal than others. As much as the DNC tries to pretend otherwise, it had choices. In fact, it later showed understandable leniency to three other states who changed their primary dates- New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina- seating all their delegates. The tough love treatment was reserved for Michigan and Florida. Obama supporters along with the republican legislature, stopped the Michigan revote. 100,000 voters signed a petition to the DNC, wanting our votes to count , or suffer the consenquences in November.

April 4, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  22. Wandy Molars

A lot of people talk like children. So, who cares if John McCain wins in November. The Clintons have their millions, Obama will be fine in the senate, Howard Dean probably has his millions or will be just fine no matter what. Guess who suffers through another 4 or 8 years of George Bushe's failed policies; thats right; the people at the bottom of the food chain. If you like vote for John McCain. Take a look at the economy today it could get worse. If you think you will be voting against the DNC, think twice.

April 4, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  23. Jack

Yeah. Hit the DNC in the wallet if they don't seat the delegates. If every supporter in Florida and Michigan stopped sending money to the candidates, it would be get someone's attention.

April 4, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  24. BRiley

What's childish is that your beloved unpatriotic Barack doesn't want the delegates seated because he would lose!! What's he afraid of....from the way he cockily speaks sounds like he has it in the bag....why isn't he for the UNITED states of america? Last I checked Florida & Michigan were part of our country. Puzzling that a leader of his "caliber -ha," wouldn't want to hear their voices!

April 4, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  25. Nope...

So, let me get this straight. Obama and Hillary have collected 60 million in campaign contributions IN THE LAST MONTH. And now the DNC is sending 45 THOUSAND to disgruntled Florida voters. Why bother? If you divide 45 thousand by the number of contributors, you get diddly. Oh. Wait a minute. They're refunding the contributions of the wealthy whiners. This is getting more nuts all the time.

I contributed to Hillary's campaign early on. I even voted for her in the California primary. Once she began to reveal herself and her true nature, I switched to the Obama campaign, and have sent contributions to him. Unfortunately, my vote didn't count, because my absentee ballot didn't make it to the polling station in time. I was late sending it in.

Following the logic of the Florida contributors who are getting money back because Florida voted too early, I wonder if it would be OK if I asked for my contributions back from Hillary, since I voted too late.
    Seems as logical as anything else going on at the DNC right now.

C'mon Hillary! You and I are both blue collar working people! You feel my pain, right? You're about to lose your job just like I'm about to lose my job. You can't pay for your healthcare just like I can't pay for my healthcare. We're peas in a blue collar pod! Can I get my $50.00 back? The only difference between us is that I'm not stupid enough to actually think I have a chance at the White House.

April 4, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |