April 4th, 2008

Edwards: 'No' to another VP run

Edwards said Sunday he's in it for the long haul.

Edwards said Sunday he's in it for the long haul.

(CNN) – If Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton come calling about the #2 spot on the Democratic ticket, former presidential candidate John Edwards just may let the phone ring this time.

Edwards took the role as John Kerry’s running mate in 2004. But asked Thursday if he would accept his party’s vice presidential nomination if offered this year, Edwards answered firmly, “no.”

His comment came in a question and answer session with former Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson after they addressed the CTIA Wireless 2008 convention in Las Vegas. Edwards’ response was posted on the convention’s Web site.

His demeanor and face never changed as some in the audience laughed at his blunt response. An Edwards spokesman told CNN he could not elaborate on the answer.

Thompson, asked what his answer would be, said, “well, the same. It’s presumptuous to answer the question you have not been asked by the only person who counts.”

Edwards also declined to say if he would endorse Obama or Clinton. Thompson joked he would say who he was voting for if Edwards revealed his choice. He responded, “the only thing I know for sure is we’re not voting for the same guy.” After a long pause, he added, “or woman.”

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. April in Texas

Interesting to say the least..

Obama 08

April 4, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  2. kathy

I hope John comes out for Hillary and does it when it can help her the most. We don't know who or what Obama is all about and I don't think we need him in the White House before we find out. We need someone in there who can get the ecomony back on track and soon. Lets face it no matter what we think of Bill, gas wasn't $3.29 a gallon and bread wasn't $2.69 a loaf when he was in office. All of us better take another look at who can answer the phone and fix the mess George Bush and his oil buddies have us in.

April 4, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  3. Rita

Edwards has not ended his presidential campaign,he has "suspended" it which means he still getting votes and he has 16 delegates yet under his belt. Is he waiting until Denver to give those delegates to Obama to push him over in order to beat Hillary Clinton?Mr. Edwards you need to get back in or get out completely!

Hillary 2008

April 4, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  4. PA voter

Edwards would do well in humanitarian sector. I think that he would be a commodity to any administration or as Carter does without political party ties.

GO OOOOOBAMAAAA

April 4, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  5. kingston

Edwards is acting like a coward period. He thinks he is very important because he has to be used by others to cap the process.
    In my opinion, if he has a problem of indecission, he has to keep quiet instead acting like to be more important than he really is.
    Its a shame that at this point he can't bravely stand for something. If I was Obama or clinton, I would not pay any attension to a "flimsy reed" like Edwards.
    He may want to run again, but I tell you, he will never be able to stay on till the finish line. Once a quiter always a quiter.
    Hanging on the fence is not a quality a leader should have. He should be bold and should do that as early as he can. He is not a top guy and his secret should not be a top secret.

April 4, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  6. Helen

I agree with Barb – Hilary and John Edwards would really be nice!
    I must also add that I admire you John for your strength and courage not to just 'jump' on a band wagon just to be counted..

John – you are great – I hope one day you make the Presidency.

April 4, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |