April 4th, 2008

Campaign: Penn wasn't representing Clinton in trade meeting

(CNN) – A Clinton campaign spokesman said Friday senior adviser Mark Penn's recent meeting with the Colombian ambassador to discuss a free-trade deal does not reflect Hillary Clinton's staunch opposition to the proposal.

"She remains steadfast against the Colombian Trade Bill," said spokesman Mo Elleithee, adding that the meeting was "not in any way done on behalf of the campaign."

The meeting, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, occurred Monday. Penn appears to have been acting in his role as chief executive of the international communications and lobbying firm, Burson-Marsteller Worldwide. The Colombian Embassy hired the firm to help achieve congressional approval of the trade deal.

Clinton has said she is against the trade bill, and has sharply criticized America's free trade agreements as she campaigns for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Drew

And someone should tell Penn that tie and shirt don't go together, brotha.

April 4, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. Jim

We all have had enough of Hillary lies. Go away.

April 4, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. Peg

Who cares, she's toast!!

April 4, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  4. Emile

This is why she is down in the polls, this is why she will lose the nomination and this is why she won't be Obama's VP and this is why she is a Clinton. She doesn't mean a word she is saying...

April 4, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  5. Yes, DM again Arlington, TX

The real issue of trust is still something she needs work on. I could never again trust any Clintons.

April 4, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. Orlando

THANK YOU MARK PENN. Maybe Hillary misspoke as having you as her advisor or working on NAFTA behind the scenes. PA you have more information than Ohio. Let's do a re-vote in Ohio & TX now. It seems as if the Titan is sinking here. She needs to sing her swarn song and go become the governor of NY.

April 4, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  7. Maxine

How can you have someone work for you and still go against what you believe in? She has several lobbiest working for her, but isn't she against lobbiest????????

I don't know people, seems we know who spoke to Canada!!! Big surprise.

April 4, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  8. vic nashville,Tn

Compare with Obama camping talk with Canadian Government . Obama denied it in the beginning My vote for Mc Cain

April 4, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. Edgar - Orlando, Florida

Hillary is not believable – C'mon people don't tell me Barak is – Rev. Wright, Rezko, Lindsay St. Clair need I say more...Barak needs actions not words.

April 4, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. Disbelief

I am sorry that should read white house schedules and not white schedules. Please forgive me if I have offended anyone

April 4, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  11. Carolyn

It's 3 AM. The phone is ringing. Wait a minute....Mark Penn isn't home; he's in Columbia negotiating a trade deal.,,,

April 4, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  12. chris-seattle

somebody needs to tell this guy how to dress. that shirt tie combo is awful.

April 4, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. Patty NH

Corruption perpetuates corruption. Be careful...there's a bee's nest.

April 4, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. Amy in Iowa

As a female, I once supported Hillary. But now I am positive without a doubt that Hillary Clinton can't be trusted.

I don't know who lies the most, her or her husband Bill. I was once supporting Hillary on her own merit. but now I see she is may be more of a liar than her husband ever was.

April 4, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. teddy orlando

oops i see your true clors Hillary

April 4, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. akaDoug

Not again! We don't need another Clinton lie! No more "lapses, misspeaks, sleep deprived lies!" Stop Hillary, stop the lies, stop the deception, stop the hate!

Start by showing your tax returns, the library donors, your earmarks and vow to tell the truth about your experience, because "Bosnia sniper-fire" doesn't cut it!

I once supported Hillary, but no more, I'm an Obama-Man!

April 4, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  17. Charlotte

All of the candidates have lobbist on staff, yes even your beloved Obama. Also, Obama is the man who preaches the furture, why are we so stuck in the past? MLK<JFK<RFK, he can't be in Memphis because the widow of RFK will be introducing him in Indiana. He also missed the Black Caucus Forum. Now he needs white votes, Hummmm

April 4, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  18. vjh

I would deem this either a conflict of interest or HRC is playing both sides of the coin......my best is the latter.

April 4, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  19. gerald strother

I don't believe anything coming out of the Clinton camp. They will lie to our faces and then go on Leno to laugh about it .AGAIN THEY HAVE NO SHAME

April 4, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  20. Joe

I don't beleive in Billary any more. The day I saw her laughing while she knew she was telling lies about her snipers story, I was UPSET. And she also lied about NAFTA; I don't trust her any more.

OBAMA 08!!!!

April 4, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  21. Dennis

I'm supposed to believe that a minor member of Obama's campaign makes a comment about NAFTA to a Canadian official, and that is Obama's position. However, Clinton's senior advisor discusses a trade agreement with a foreign country, and that isn't a statement on her trade policy? Right.

April 4, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  22. Richard, New York

It's sad what I've read here. poor people. All the time there is a conspiration. Don't watch too much T.V.

April 4, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. Tex

I think that this is another clear example of the Hillary campaign "misspeaking" again and again and again and..........

April 4, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  24. MovingOn

Angus:

You are right everyone has told a lie before, but see their is this thing called integrity. A person with some admits to the lie when caught. My vote is for Obama because he has integrity, Clinton just can't seem to find hers.

April 4, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  25. Angel

I have had enough of Hilary Clinton scandals and Bill Clintons temper as well. Mark Penn just makes things worse as well.

OBAMA 08 "Enough siad "