April 5th, 2008

Clinton: 'I don't quit'

Clinton campaigned in Oregon.
Clinton campaigned in Oregon.

HILLSBORO, Oregon (CNN) - Hillary Clinton repeated her intentions to stay in the presidential race at a campaign event in Oregon Saturday.

“One thing I hope you know about me is that I don’t quit,” Clinton said, adding she will continue to campaign “hard” in the final ten primaries.

Clinton also again pushed seating the delegates from Florida and Michigan - the two states penalized by the Democratic National Committee for moving their primaries ahead of February 5.

“Some say their votes should be ignored, and discounted…well I have a different view.”

Clinton added that ignoring the 2.3 million democrats who voted in those primaries would hurt in November: “We cannot afford to give up on Michigan and Florida.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. SUE, Michigan

Go Hillary! People are starting to listen, and realize who is the strongest and more capable candidate. You will be a marvelous President!
    Hang in there! Obama is outspending you 4-1 and you are still very close and ahead in a lot of polls. Millions of people want you to win. You go, girl!

April 5, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Robert IL

She was willing to give up on them (FL and MI) before they moved up their primary, thus forfeiting their delegates. Then, she didn't expect Obama to be in the position he is now, so now she wants the delegates seated.

I get sick to my stomach every time she opens her mouth. I feel no truth behinds the words she speaks. The more she drags this on, the more it hurts the party.

April 5, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. Mark Webb

She will not quit. Voters will make her quit. Nuance.
    Also, Florida and Michigan who voted for Hillary are less stupid as than campaign strategists may imagine: If they are Democrats, they will not vote for a Bush's third term.

April 5, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. jackie

It's just campaign rhetoric now. Wisdom is also requires Mrs Clinton! Getting out of the race, weighing what is best for America is the best fight you can fight, and if it means getting out of the race, you should, that is if you are fighting for America. It is clear that if you are fighting for America and even so the Democratic party, then you should get out of the race, and that's not quitting, it is deciding out fo wisdom not vested interest.

April 5, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. vanchava

Maybe you should

Bow down with grace

RATHER then

Disgrace

April 5, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  6. D.Kimbro OHIO

I don't understand the lack of integrity of this lady. She was part of the group who agreed not to count these votes. Now she finds herself behind, lets make this an issue. Talk to Howard Dean and the DNC. I guess she sees by now that the rules are not going to change as they should'nt. Take your medicine.

April 5, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. Jeff

There's a first time for everything.

April 5, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. Jenny Sprowl

No Hillary, It's you who can't afford to give up on Michigan and Florida.
    You knew the rules and you agreed to them. If you can't even keep your promise on that issue, Then how can the American people trust you to keep your other promises? I used to like you, But you blew it lady. I'm sorry but now I feel I have to back Barack Obama. It least he means what he says.

April 5, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. jimmy velman

WINNERS NEVER QUIT AND QUITTERS NEVER WIN
    HILLARY RODHAN CLINTON ALL THE WAY.

THERE WILL BE CHAOS IF THE MICHIGAN AND FLORIDA DELEGATES ARE NOT SEATED IN THE DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION AND FAIRLY .

April 5, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Kimberly in Texas

“Some say their votes should be ignored, and discounted…
    GET REAL, NO ONE IS SAYING THAT...NO ONE!

You don't have to quit, just leave....enough already!

April 5, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  11. This girl isn't buying it.

---------
    I don't quit. I just lie.
    ---------

April 5, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  12. R

I don't know if Clinton remembers, but Rocky lost in the first movie.

April 5, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. judyb

Why do you support Hillary's continued LIE about disenfranchising the voters of Florida and Michigan? She agreed in writing to the DNC's decision to NOT seat the delegates from these two states...just like all other presidential candidates...for not abiding by the rules of the party. She certainly didn't have a different view when she agreed to it over a year ago...but now that she is losing...she wants to change the rules and blame Barack Obama. Such deceit should not have a place in The White House.

April 5, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  14. Rom, NY

Ok,so Here's my question:
    why have you agreed with not counting them last year????
    When you obviously thought that you were so entitled to the nomination that you will wrap it up in Feb 5.
    Conclusion: You're not trustworthy and you only care about yourself,Billy and Chelsea and not American people or the DNC winning in Nov

WE ARE NOT SUCH A FOOL !!

April 5, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. CLinton

No u dont. But u lie and cheat pretty well

April 5, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  16. Jimmy Needles

She is one tough chick. I know Jack Cafferty has been thinking his
    constant Clinton bashing might do her in but it turns out that
    it is getting ugly out there and Jack is the one with pie on his face.

April 5, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  17. Charlotte

You go girl, I'm behind you all the way to Denver. Let the Superdelegates take the heat, they want the power, let them have it. They have no choice but to at least take those millions of votes into account when they make their decision in August. They have to also take into account, Red and Blue states. Why else would all the Obama supporters want you to rollover and play dead? He won't have the necessary votes to win either. If you lose, I'll write your name on my ballot anyway. Your are the best candidate in the race.

April 5, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  18. White, Female Boomer for Obama

What a hypocrite...at the same time she is wanting votes she knew and agreed would not be counted, she is stating that PLEDGED delegates, determined by how voters voted can be changed!!

April 5, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  19. Jeff in WI

Shouldn't she say "I have a different view...now that I need them"?

April 5, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. Texas

Yeah Hillary we know.....as a result the democratic party is held hostage!

April 5, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  21. Josh P

Dear CNN:

When using the word "Democrat" as a proper noun to denote a member of the Democratic Party, please remember to capitalize the word. You have recently been lax in enforcing this easy but important grammatical rule.

Thanks.

April 5, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  22. Not for clinton anymore

I'm tired of her two talk.

She has said that everyone but her wants to disenfranchise the rest of the 10 states.....which honestly is a lie, you can still vote.

Then she says delegates don't have to go with the winner of the state...My guess shes talking to obama delegates

The she says that superdelgates can go whatever they think would be best, but then lashes at Gov Richardsonfor doing what he thought was best.

She also said that she is fine with superdelegates going against the popular vote and delegates.

All this shows how two sided she is......She hates rules that prevent her from winning, and jumps on rules that help her win......She does not care about the voters...IF she did, she would say that the delegates should go with the voters (which she declines).

The last time a popular vote did not matter was when we got President Bush.....Clinton....so many lies and two talkings

April 5, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  23. John

Stay with 'em, Senator Clinton. We're backing you. You're just simply the best.

April 5, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  24. joyce

GET A LIFE HILLARY
    QUIT GRIPPING AND STOP BLAMING OBAMA FOR YOUR MISTAKE. YOU AGREED FL AND MI DID NOT COUNT. WHAT IS YOUR GREECD ALL ABOUT WELL IT IS CALLED (HILLARY WAS BEHIND) HILLARY THOUGHT SHE WAS SO POPULAR SHE WOULD BE NOMINEE ON FEB 5. WELL GET OVER IT, YOU ARE NOT GOD AND NOT A QUEEN
    WHITE LADY IN ARKANSAS (OH BY THE WAY WHEN YOU LOOSE, DON'T COME BACK TO AR) WE DON'T WANT YOU

April 5, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  25. Whatever Clinton

Clinton you are so insatiably full of nonsense and lies. YOU SIGNED A PLEDGE, YOU SIGNED A PLEDGE, you did it! You agreed to the rules, it's as simple as that. See the problem is, Hillary, that you are not as good as a liar as your husband and you are not as politically savvy as your husband. Bill was a smooth liar, you are a blatant one. You are arguably the worst liar in history. But I will vote for you if you win, despite your lies, to avoid the older more senile version of Bush. I am glad, however, that that is probably not going to happen.
    Now on Obama, I don't claim his innocence, I just claim that he is a much better choice than either McCain or Hillary. I think the whole Wright fiasco was just plain stupid. Pastors across the nation of every religion and creed makes outlandish, extremist and stupid statements on a regular basis. They are used to having the eager ears of their congregation listen to what they say without impunity. After all these are people who believe that Jonah lived in the belly of a large fish. I think all politicians go to church for show anyway. I think it would be refreshing to see a non religious candidate.Buti digress....

April 5, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |