April 5th, 2008

Clinton: 'I don't quit'

Clinton campaigned in Oregon.
Clinton campaigned in Oregon.

HILLSBORO, Oregon (CNN) - Hillary Clinton repeated her intentions to stay in the presidential race at a campaign event in Oregon Saturday.

“One thing I hope you know about me is that I don’t quit,” Clinton said, adding she will continue to campaign “hard” in the final ten primaries.

Clinton also again pushed seating the delegates from Florida and Michigan - the two states penalized by the Democratic National Committee for moving their primaries ahead of February 5.

“Some say their votes should be ignored, and discounted…well I have a different view.”

Clinton added that ignoring the 2.3 million democrats who voted in those primaries would hurt in November: “We cannot afford to give up on Michigan and Florida.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Wilma, Georgia

GO HILLARY ! WIN BIG. I KNOW YOU ARE NOT A QUITTER. WE NEED YOU TO LEAD THIS COUNTRY.

April 5, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  2. Paul from Texas

If someone thinks that the democratic party is in trouble now, then just wait. If the superdelegates step in and select someone before the primaries are over, then there will be a revolution in the democratic party. The DNC should tell everyone to hold on until the primary election is over.

If the superdelegates step in before the primaries are over, I will personally try to organize people in all the states whose votes are not valued into demanding that the DNC steps down.

April 5, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Mike in CA

"'One thing I hope you know about me is that I don’t quit,' Clinton said." Yes, Senator Clinton. We know. Believe it or not, some of us in America are indeed smart enough to realize that you just don't quit. No matter what. At any cost.

I just wish you wouldn't keep *trying* to take the high-road with your "I can't believe SOME people are trying to disenfranchise the Michigan and Florida voters" approach. There are some of us who remember that you didn't seem to have a problem with discounting those states' delegates back before the primary season began.

It disgusts and offends me the way that Clinton tries to play martyr, victim and savior, when she is in fact the most ruthless candidate of the three with her relentless approach to winning. There was a time when I supported her, but I unregrettably switched my support when I saw the desperate direction she has chosen to take her campaign.

Now let's see if CNN publishes my comment–they have yet to do so after MANY attempts.

April 5, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. Matt

She needs to quit, Obama all the way!!

April 5, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. lou

I don't quit,even if it means tearing this party in 2. I don't care. It is always about me. And Bill of course.I don't care if I hand McCain the election as long as I can keep lying and making million$$$. Ya know... I was pinned under Sniper fire again this morning... What a joke and a disgrace to all women in the world. Some day you will have a real Candidate. Not a corrupt, Divisive LIAR!!!!!!!

April 5, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  6. Gerald - London, Uk

Fl and Mi didn't matter to Hillary when she was leading Obama and carrying herself around like an incumbent.

She and all the other candidates agreed not campaign there since it wouldn't count. Obama's name wasn't on the michigan ballot.

Now! all of a sudden, she cares so much for those primaries to count because she's found herself in a position she never expected.

If she insists on bringing the democratic party down with her just because she's losing, she will end up losing both the nomination and her respect within the party.

There's always tommorrow.

April 5, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. NW

Mike,

Not sure if you attend the same event in Hillsboro, Oregon as the rest of us.
    Because from your post, it seems that Sen. Hillary Clinton was discussing only these 2 points. This is not true.
    You fail to mention that she was talking about eliminating tax credits for companies who shipped our jobs to China. She talked about creating green jobs that can not being outsourced. She was talking about making college affordable and improving education system in general, many other specific issues that concern Oregonians and all Americans.

April 5, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  8. Anonymous

No ...you just lie and change the rules to fit the games you play.

I bet you can't even bowl a 37...LOL

A L

April 5, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  9. aware

Good for you Hillary! :)

Obama's so called "spirit of reconciliation" is a sham. He is a down and dirty, obfuscating, power-hungry, ego-driven and arrogant politician. He is also lopsided in his racial ideology, and is extremely divisive. :(

Hillary the HOPE of 08 or McCain! :)

April 5, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  10. Shannon

thank god she doesn't quit, why does Obama hate democracy. Why suppress the vote in FL and MI, why cut the primary season before everyone has a chance to vote. What is he afraid of, and why does he call himself a democrat. The democrats I was raised with, think everyone should be allowed to vote. It must be part of the politics of hope and change, to keep millions from voting.

April 5, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  11. Jackie

why quit when i can lose and try to take down my party?

April 5, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  12. M. Turner

We need a president who is not a quitter; one who doesn't just take the easy way but is, instead, always looking for another way to solve a problem whether that problem is overcoming lagging support from her party or seeking an alternative action that is better for the country. That kind of tenacity could have led this country to find a better way to proceed after the 911 crisis–something more sensible than declaring war on Iraq. Hillary has shown her leadership characteristics on many fronts, and for once, I would like to see this country have collective good sense and support a candidate that is proven to have constructive rather than destructive leadership abilities. We voters must be less emotional, more informed and intelligent, and think about who could best lead the U.S. Sex and race shouldn't even be considerations, but advanced age and a hot temper should be. I'm approaching my "senior" years and believe there should not be age discrimination, but for a job that is as demanding as that of the president of the U.S., advanced age and all the problems that go with it DOES matter. Most people are retired at McCain's age, and in addition, a man with his hot temper does not need to have his finger on the "red button." I believe that Hillary has proven she is tenacious, loyal, and so importantly, capable in many arenas. What a shame it would be for the U.S. to miss having her lead this country in these most difficult times and for the voters to be duped, yet again, by slick political salesmen with personal agendas and little regard for this country and its citizens. The U.S. is in crisis on so many fronts that only someone with Hillary's strengths has any hope of leading us through them.

April 5, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. Paul

No...you just lie and cheat to make the political games fit your wishes for more power.

You and your husbands legacy will be laughed at as pathetic by my grand-kids.

April 5, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  14. cc4obama

Maybe she doesn't quit, but she sure knows how to lie!

April 5, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  15. shirley riley

i wish you people out there would leave the clintons alone?please all of you obarm people please go away?

April 5, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  16. Patricia

In 15 years the only democrat that has been able to beat the republicans has been a Clinton. Even Gore and Kerry were unsucessful. The democrats would have to be very foolish to try and stop Hillary Clinton from winning the nomination.

April 5, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  17. Philix in NV

Obama/Clinton 08

Remember Regan / Bush 80

Keep the Dream Alive!!!!

April 5, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  18. Nanc, MN

Hillary supporters already know she's not a quitter.

So what is CNN's purpose in having this same article again. To engender the same cat fights that go on weekly on a dull Saturday night?

How does this give any new news to anyone? Do you like all the blood it draws from both sides? The inane, moronic, cultish insults? Is it not a good weekend without a good bloodbath?

Jesus wept, please stop this kind of crap.

Please post this comment, I simply can't be the only one to find that flailing Hillary, as a sport on your network, is becoming tedious at best, anti-gender at worst.

As for rules, isn't one of the rules that if you want to win you have to keep going!! Maybe the decomcrats need this so they can find their butts with both hands come the next election.

April 5, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  19. Mk

What bothers me MOST about her constant rant about counting the votes of Florida and Michigan is this; She was in total agreement with DNC when they first decided that these two states would not have their votes counted if they proceeded with moving their primaries up. If she REALLY and TRULY believed that those votes should matter then why didn't she speak up at the outset?
    She appears to ONLY be a fighter when it suits her.
    That is NOT the president this country needs now.

April 5, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  20. orlando

Good. My family and I will support until the end.

April 5, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  21. Bill Hilton

The Clintons think this nomination belongs to them and they will stop at nothing, including destroying the party to get what they want.

In fact they have already damaged the party. Many will not vote in the November election if she takes over the hard way.

Self destruction.

April 5, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  22. Tom

Sometimes you're supposed to quit. This is one of them.

April 5, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  23. Nelson

Especially when there's a chance to cheat. She is the most evil person on the planet. I want her to continue the race, so that the world will know Barack won in a fair manner.

Obama 08

April 5, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  24. Matt

Quitting and accepting defeat are two different things. You need to realize you can not win.

April 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |