April 6th, 2008

Bush saddened by Heston's death

Charlton Heston had symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's disease.
Charlton Heston had symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's disease.

President Bush issued the following statement on the death of Charlton Heston:

"Laura and I are saddened by the death of our friend, Charlton Heston. Charlton Heston was one of the most successful actors in movie history and a strong advocate for liberty.

"Widely acclaimed for his long, award-winning film career, he also had a profound impact off the screen. He served his country during World War II, marched in the civil rights movement, led a labor union, and vigorously defended Americans' Second Amendment rights. He was a man of character and integrity, with a big heart. For all these reasons, in 2003 I was proud to award Charlton Heston the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Nations's highest civil honor.

"Our prayers are with his wife Lydia and the entire Heston family during this difficult time."

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Sarah

God bless Charlton Heston...

April 6, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Sandy in PA

W seems to have a hard time separating fantasy from reality these days. He probably thinks Heston really was Moses.

April 6, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  3. Bush Sad?

I hope this sadness will continue to go towards the sadness of the troops overseas. Bring the boys/girls home now.

April 6, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. DSRobins

So Moses Heston is finally dead. No doubt it was long and painful and he was probably a vegetable like Ronald Reagan at the end. Frankly, it's just what he deserved for his gun nut extremism while he headed the NRA, the most evil institution in America. My favorite memory of Heston was when he was walking away from Michael Moore in Moore's wonderful movie about Columbine, the NRA and the American gun nut movement. As Heston disappeared back into his house, you knew that he would never be seen in public again. It was the perfect ending.

April 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Spider

I hope, just for the symbolism, someone pryed his gun from his cold dead hands.

April 6, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  6. julie

If Bush is so saddened, he should support stem cell research to help find a cure for Alzheimer's disease, which Heston suffered from.

April 6, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  7. love2008

One of the greatest actors of all time. Charlton Heston stands out, larger than life in great screen roles like "Ben Hur", El Cid, The Ten Commandments, Earthquake, True Lies, Any Given Sunday, Touch of Evil, to mention but a few. I remember growing and seeing him for the first time in films like Ben Hur and El Cid. Wow! He was trully the best. Do you know that the film "El Cid" inspired other great, successful movies like Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, 300 etc. He was a legend that will continue to live in our minds and on screen for generations to come. I predict that now in death, he will become even greater as an everlasting icon of truth, integrity, excellence and dedication to family and country. I shall miss him. The world has just lost again, one of its finest.

April 6, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. Nancy

Rest in peace dear soul!

April 6, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  9. kathleen

It is sad. Charleton Heston was a fantastic actor and played in
    "some of the best" movies. but, I did not know he was "a Republican"
    or a bff with Bush's.

Obama 2008

April 6, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  10. ALBO

I am sorry to state that PRESIDENT BUSH's declaration miss the
    point regarding HESTON's stance on firearms.

In the last weeks alone, dozens of innocent deaths, incl. children,
    wete caused by firearms available to non-criminal persons, which
    would this happened in other countries, they would have no access
    to them in their crisis moments.

Unfortunately, HESTON was co-responsible !!

ALBO

April 6, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. Bubba

Rest in Peace, Sir.

April 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. Puzzled

Charlton Heston had a long running disagreement with Ed Asner. Similar to Alexander the Great having a feud with Casper the Ghost.

April 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. Gnosticman

Heston is a true American Hero!

April 6, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. SUE, Michigan

Liberty meaning no restrictions on the guns you can own?
    While I respected Mr. Heston as an actor, I was diametrically opposed to his 2nd Amendment reading. But that's what makes me a Democrat.

April 6, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  15. Mary - Independent

Charlton Heston – one of the "old school" actors who made magnificent films.
    He gave subperb performances and spoke with a voice of conviction.
    A great loss to the film industry and a man that will be missed.

April 6, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. no to obama

I love Charlton Heston.RIP

April 6, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. Matt Canoga Park

Charlton Heston you have given us some of the best movies of all time. You have given all of us some legendary performances and we thank you for it.

April 6, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  18. Steven Furtado, Kunkletown PA

I may not have agreed with everything Mister Heston advocated, but he was still a good man and an awesome actor. My heart goes out to his family.

April 6, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  19. Justin from West Haven, CT

Yeah he is the head gun nut in the country, of course Bush would be proud.

April 6, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  20. I used to be a Democrat

Sad day for not only American history, but Earth history as well.

April 6, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  21. Robert New York City & Miami, Florida

Thank God this evil and crazy man is gone.

We need more guns like we need more of him.

April 6, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  22. Robert New York City & Miami, Florida

And only Bush and the Mrs. could be saddened by his death.

April 6, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. Steve

From my cold dead hands.

Rest In Peace.

April 6, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  24. Michael, Ms

He was a great actor from my generation he will be missed and long remembered for his acting.

April 6, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  25. Daniel, WA

I too would like to pay my respects to Charlston. He has been an unbelievable actor. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

April 6, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |