April 7th, 2008

Clinton predicts more 'twists and turns'

Clinton campaigned in Montana Sunday.
Clinton campaigned in Montana Sunday.

MISSOULA, Montana (CNN) – Hillary Clinton on Sunday predicted “more twists and turns” in the primary battle with Barack Obama during a campaign event in Montana - one of the last two states to weigh in on the Democratic presidential race on June 3.

At a town hall meeting in Missoula, the senator from New York said the race is so close that “we don’t know how it is going to turn out.”

"This campaign has been exciting and incredibly energizing - for people all across the country - and I believe with all my heart that it is good for the Democratic Party to give the people of Montana a chance to vote in June, to have your vote counted and your voices heard," she also said.

While listing her credentials to be president, Clinton also said people vote for different reasons, including how a person looks or their hairstyle.

"And that is another difference, you know how long it takes me to get ready than my two opponents - I mean really just think about it," she joked. "I think I should get points for working as hard as I do plus the time it takes to get ready."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Dori in AZ

Hillary gives us a lot of credit for how we choose our country's president, doesn't she? VERY junior high school girlish! Was she having a flashback?

Definitely NOT presidential! Definitely NOT giving the American voters any credit to think for themselves and make decisions about the issues, either.

With as much energy as this campaign is generating – and, as many registered voters who are truly interested and involved in the process, and following the debates and the speeches – one would think she'd realize that it isn't about hair and makeup and wardrobe. (That would be a beauty pageant, Senator!) But, well, you know, keep talking, Hillary!

Si se puede! Obama 2008!

April 6, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. Joseph

She is behind 140 pledged delegates. Since March 4th she's LOST one super-delegate, and Obama has narroed her lead from 100 to under 30. Who believes this race is close?

April 6, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Tex

Even when Hillary jokes, she's really saying "I am entitled to be President because I am Hillary...because I am a Clinton!

April 6, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. Penny

Hillary, you can try to look your best at all times but it won't do any good. The people of the country now know what you will do to get elected. You tried to lie about Bosnia and the sniper fire. What a lie that was and you even had the nerve to put your daughter in the lie with you. Shame on you and everyone that would want a BIG LIAR FOR THEIR PRESIDENT!

April 6, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. nancy

Looking at this whole page there is almost every story about Hillary how bad she is nothing at all about Obama who the media thinks is the best thing since peanut butter and jelly now you tell me that CNN does not just love obama and does not want to say anything good or bad becuase people again would say something about Wright and media does not want anyone thinking about Wright anymore.

McCain 08

April 6, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  6. Jamil, Dearborn, MI

In other words, vote for her because she is a woman. I give her credit – it is hard work to come up with so many lies, make arguments for changing the rules she agreed to, pretend the race is close when she is being blown out, say she is more electable when she is losing by every measre (states, votes, delegates), etc...

April 6, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  7. gerald strother

Clinton drops hospital story , they have no shame and will do any thing or make up speechs that is not true is this what it come down to ?

April 6, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. Bayou Joe

Twisting and turning is called Squirming. Both her and Obama are weasels. They jump out of one frying pan into the other. Put a different spin on what they said and life goes on for them. Put it bluntly they are POLITICIANS. That is what they do for a living because they talk a good game but can't produce results.

McCain on the other hand is more like JFK. Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

That is why JFK was the last Democrat I have ever voted for.

The Obamas, Bidens, Pelosis, Clintons have stolen my party from me. Hijacked is more like it.

Everyone I speak to today laments the same thing. The Democratic party is out of touch with the Country and the Honest hardworking people whose sons still believe this is the greatest country in the world and are willing to die for it. Semper Fi.

April 6, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  9. David

I thought Hillary claimed she wasn't going to use the race or gender card. Yet here she is, slipping in a veiled reference to the fact that she is a woman and that, because of it, it takes her longer to get ready in the morning than her male opponent, and that because of her gender disadvantage she should be given extra "points."

How much more desperate can you get? Here Mrs. Clinton, who has incessantly criticized the discrepancies between words and actions, has become yet once again ironically the perfect case study of the very discrepancy she decries, failing to act in a manner consistent with what she claimed she would not do.

April 6, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  10. Rusty

Clinton, needs to get a dose of reality. The race isn't that close...to even tie in delegates and popular vote she would need 60/40 wins in all remaining states and that is near impossible.

It's to her advantage to claim its close, make it sound like she shouldn't quit because its a neck to neck horse race, but reality is she's behind by several lengths.

April 6, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  11. Cami

"And that is another difference, you know how long it takes me to get ready than my two opponents — I mean really just think about it," she joked. "I think I should get points for working as hard as I do plus the time it takes to get ready."
    -----------------------------
    Hillary, PLEASE stop playing the gender card. Statements like yours just make it harder for all women to be treated equally. With $109,000,000, surely you can afford a personal hairstylist, make-up artist, and fashion consultant. Please stop whining.

April 6, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. PA

Are you SERIOUS?????????????? As a woman, I don't even know what to say, except HUH??? Extra credit for doing your hair??? ARE YOU KIDDING!?!

April 6, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. Ahead of the game

Honestly this woman will do and say anything to win, First she repeated the joke "maybe we should offer Barack a pilllow" to get sympathy for the "so-called" media bias, then she joked about the sniper fire in Bosnia to make the fact that she lied seem trivial, and now she jokes that she should be credited for the extra effort it takes to put on lipstick and mascara...and we should sympathize with this? So who is injecting gender into this race? First it was the tears and now this!
    Look lady, Edwards had more hair than McCain and Obama and was always perfectly groomed. I'm sure he put some effort into it and you didn't hear him whine! Hillary C. Clinton...C for Calculating.

April 6, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  14. Shirley

Ok white women of certain age let's all vote for Hillary because we are sympathetic with how long it takes her to get ready to go out. This is another gender tactic delivered as a joke.

April 6, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. s yacenda

The world is burning up - with predictions that we have a few years to save the planet. People all around her are slowly starving to death or slowly dying due to poor sanitation and sans drinkable water, here at home in the USA the government covertly tortures, spies on, and detains whomever it chooses to, and Hillary speaks of needing points for time spent on getting dressed. Really set an example HRC: cut your hair off, give your millions to the poorest of the poor, and wake up. Folks need to grasp that it's being sexist if you give someone power because of the sex he or she happens to be; a particular sex gives a human neither innate wisdom nor morals.

April 6, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. Only Hillary damages Hillary

Great. Clinton is at it again. Attack, Attack when things aren't going my way. Distract, Distract, because not as many people are voting for me as I always thought they were. But, Daddy, I want it NOW!

April 6, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  17. Juanita

Some earlier commentor said this race was better than any other reality show on TV and wow was that commentor correct!!!
    It's like the Soap Operas that leave you on the edge of your seat at a crucial moment and you HAVE to watch it the next day.
    What other devious, sneaky, underhanded, vile thing does Clinton have in mind? I HAVE to keep watching to find out!

April 6, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  18. Mark-TX

I agree that the voices of all of the voters should be heard. The campaign isn't truly over until everyone has had their say, after all.

Clinton really needs to shut up about the pledged delegates being able to change their votes, though... isn't that against this whole "let everyone's voices be heard" argument? After all, there are more than 4,000 people in America that deserve to have their opinions heard, but if pledged delegates could change their minds and vote however they wish, then the delegates are free to ignore the voices of their constituencies and vote however they please.

I wouldn't mind Clinton being the president, but her saying these two opposite statements at the same time can't be good for her credibility.

April 6, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. David Dotson

Okay, Clinton has been a great a fierce competitor in the very beginning of this process. But "how could you vote for someone who consistently lies, use the race / gender card and exaggerates every truth there is for an edge"?

People are not voting for her because they think "she is qualified". She is getting votes from older racists democrats "who are not interested in change or interested in seeing a black man in the white house".

April 6, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  20. Jordan Fitzpatrick

Hillary says: "I think I should get points for working as hard as I do plus the time it takes to get ready." How is that not playing the woman-card? Pathetic.

April 6, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. XMS

OH YEAH I'M SURE THERE WILL BE MORE TWISTS AND TURNS. ALSO AND ENDLESS SUPPLY OF DRAMA IF YOU ARE ELECTED. I WILL VOTE FOR YOU HILLARY IN NOVEMBER IF YOU ARE IN THE GENERAL AS I DEMOCRATS NEED TO COME TOGETHER BUT RIGHT NOW I'M VOTING FOR OBAMA.

April 6, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  22. TedM

I'm sure Mrs. Clinton will provide plenty of twists and turns herself as she tries to twist the truth and turn the tide away from Obama.

April 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. jim

She finally found something she can do-- Go back to Arkansas and work on ur hair!!!!!!!!!!!
    Who needs a politician who tells Lies constantly ==every day on the campaign trail??
    Watch Barack Obama- consistant=== truthful– and down to the level of the Pennsylvania blue collar workers............
    Go Obama in Pennsylvaia

April 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. marty from Indiana

Hillary needs to spend even more time getting ready. She has been looking tired and old of late. In fact, she is starting to look like John McKean.

April 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  25. Debra2

No comments. CNN censores in order to help Barack Obama!

April 6, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |