April 7th, 2008

Greenspan supports McCain

Greenspan said he is supporting McCain.
Greenspan said he is supporting McCain.

(CNN) - Former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan is supporting John McCain's White House bid, CNN has confirmed.

"I am a Republican and expect to vote for the Republican candidate, but I am not involved in politics," Greenspan said in a statement issued to CNN by his office.

The statement follows comments Greenspan reportedly made to a Spanish newspaper on Sunday.

"I support John McCain, who I know very well and who I respect a lot," he told El Pais.

McCain has previously indicated he will seek Greenspan's council on economic issues should he win the presidency. At a campaign event in South Carolina last fall, the Arizona Republican even said he would take him "alive or dead."

"If he's alive or dead it doesn't matter. If he's dead, just prop him up and put some dark glasses on him like, like 'Weekend at Bernie's,"' McCain joked. "Let's get the best minds in America together and fix this tax code."

Greenspan served as the U.S. Fed chairman from 1987 to 2006.

In a statement, McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said Greenspan's support is "of enormous importance to John McCain."

"It should reassure voters that, while John McCain is humble, he is still the best qualified candidate to keep taxes low and get our economy back on track," Bounds said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. California Voter

Not a surprise.

GO HILLARY 08

April 7, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. Obama Richardson

Both men are old and need all the support they can get, lol.

April 7, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. Key West Sun

You know! no republician should every use the phrase " tax and spend" the republician party motto should be "cut taxes/spend less" but instead it went to "spend and spend more and more and more"

April 7, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  4. David

Figures they would mislabel the photo as "Greenspan said he is supporting Obama"...what a convenient mishap for an Obama biased media.

April 7, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. Chris, Fairfax, VA.

The quote from Greenspan makes this whole story awfully pointless. He says he's voting for him just because he's a Republican, but doesn't want to get mixed up in politics. Sorry, CNN, but I don't think that really constitutes news.

April 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  6. Linda

It is obvious that some in the Greenspan do not like Democrats. Mr. Greenspan's wife needs to take a leave of absent until November. Her colors are showing and are getting very tiring. You can't even watch the Today show anymore without her whinning about Hillary.

April 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  7. Patriot

Greenspan. Thank you for your service. You made me a ton of money, because I bailed out when you said the Housing bubble was going to burst. Laughed all the way to the Bank. Come Back.

April 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. TF

This is the man that did nothing to stop the housing bubble and the dismal economy. Why should we listen to this old old man.

April 7, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  9. truth seeker D.C

of course he is supporting him, they have been neighbors for over 3,000 years and invented the wheel together.

April 7, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. Ca Native

I like John McCain – and will likely vote for him. But I can already hear the critics... a dead Greenspan will still know more about economics than a living John McCain.

John John John... most of us know you were joking – but sometimes the jokes can get turned on you.

April 7, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  11. John in WA

Before anyone spouts off about Greenspan, I suggest you read the book "The Age of Turbulence" by Mr. Greenspan. A very interesing read....and I hate economics! I would have to say Mr. Greenspan has pulled more politicians' irons out of the fire than anyone realizes.
    As far as he supports McCain....he's a republican from the old school and it's hard to go against years of being in one particular camp. As a republican myself, I am so close to going with Obama it won't take many more mis-quotes by Mr. McCain to pull me out of my long time relationship with the republican party......

April 7, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  12. Jake

Alan Greenspan is without a doubt the greatest economic mind of our time. For all the work that he has done, I truly believe him to be such a man that is beyond political labels. As far as his affiliation with the Republicans, I see it as about the same as mine. I am a Republican mainly because I believe in free markets with as little govenrment intervention as possible. The tax and spend fiscal policies of the Democrats are only going to aggrivate our current situation. Recessions are inevitable, but in the long term our economy still prospers. I think McCain has it right when it comes to the economy, that now is not the time to panic and institute big government like Obama and Clinton undoubtedly will.

April 7, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  13. Jenn

I adore Greenspan, but of course he is going to vote for McCain. Just the same as I will vote for whoever the dem candidate is. There are all kinds of issues on a platform, we pick and choose which are most important to us. For Greenspan, most of his align with the republican side so that is how he votes. For me, almost all align with the democrat side so that is how I vote.

What would be newsworthy is if he for some reason decided to go against his established party. Saying that he is voting for the same party he has always supported? Not newsworthy.

April 7, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  14. Okra Mouth

Yeah ! Right !!!!!!!!

Republicans who do not think always vote Republican.

I never expect this guy to just follow that kind of crowd

April 7, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  15. kathleen

Bad joke about Greenspans age, McCain. Laugh all you want.
    No matter who you choose for Vice President (hint, Condeleeza), you will not win,
    unless you cheat or call Rove.

Rove and Hannity are already bashing Obama every chance they
    get. Rove is not employed by Fox. I guess they know Hillary won't
    win, so they are continuously elevating any story that can come up
    with fay bashing Obama.

A Republican is a republican is a republican and they do not care
    about the American "people" just the rich man

Obama 2008.

April 7, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  16. J

A guy who doesn't understand economics who believes that advisers do as much good dead as alive?

Great.

April 7, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  17. kathleen

Excuse me, Rove is NOW employed by Fox!!!!!!!!!!

April 7, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  18. Joe

Wow. Another old white guy heard from. Of course Greenspan supports McCain (they are the same age).

April 7, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  19. Moderate Dem

Great. The man whose idea it was for our economy to overvalue subprime mortgage based securities. Compelling endorsement.

April 7, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  20. April in Texas

Sorry Hillary this wont get you off the explanations of some other topics. Unaccounded funds from your tax returns. NAFTA and the Mark Penn issue and why hes still in the campaign period. The debacle of the hospital story. I will bowl against you if you will drop out when I win. I have never been to the whitehouse nor make 109 mill. I do own my own shoes ball and bag and make 30k..

Obama 08

April 7, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  21. maynard

greenspan ruined this country along with bush and past presidents who didn.t listen to the people.

these old codgers should be kicked our of office. only when this happens, the usa will be on recovery from the latent leadership we have had TIME FOR TERM LIMITS

April 7, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  22. Richard, St. Paul, MN

Great.... an endorsement from the man who's responsible for the housing bubble and our economic downturn under idiot Bush. It seems like his Alzheimers has been in overdrive for at least the last eight years and is really kicking in to gear now!

April 7, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  23. Obama2008

All you people talking about Obama's pastor make me think you are all pathetic and immature. It's not even words that came from Obama's mouth.

Sen. Clinton has told a bunch of lies now. For example: Bosnia sniper story, Ohio Pregnant girl story, and that she didn't ever support NAFTA.

Sen. McCain first opposed bush's tax cuts, now he supports it, he said he wants to be in Iraq for 100 years, but now says he didn't mean it in that way.

How silly, i bet the news media wants Hillary to continue on, so they can make money out of the Ads, I bet CNN won't post this post, but atleast the moderators there will see it. Everyone knows that Obama will be our next President. The whole world knows it now.

April 7, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  24. Jim B

This proves that McCain will continue the economic policies of Bush.

April 7, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  25. Jack Hicks, Fort Myers

McCain use movie metaphor to address such a critical consultant.

We're really in serious trouble.

Where are the Libertarians–do they have someone we can vote for instead of Huey, Duey, and Louie!!!

April 7, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |