April 8th, 2008

Clinton: 'I grew up on pinochle and the American dream'

Clinton’s new ad, “Scranton,” focuses on her Pennsylvania roots.
Clinton’s new ad, “Scranton,” focuses on her Pennsylvania roots.

Hillary Clinton's campaign hit the airwaves in Pennsylvania with five new ads Tuesday, including spots that feature two of the state's most high-profile Democrats - Gov. Ed Rendell and Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter - and one that plays up her roots in the state.

(Full scripts, as released by the Clinton campaign, after the jump)

"Scranton" (Scranton Market)
TV :30

Hillary Clinton: This is me in Scranton, where my father was raised, and my grandfather worked in the lace mill.

Every August, we'd pile into the car and head to our cottage on Lake Winola.

There was no heat, or indoor shower-just the joy of family.

I was raised on pinochle and the American dream.

I still have faith in that dream

It's just been neglected a little.

We all need to dream it again

And I promise we will.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

"Get It Done" (Philadelphia Market)
TV :30

Mayor Nutter: I know. You want to know why I'm supporting Hillary.

Easy.

She gets it... and she gets the job done.

As mayor, I know that's what we need from a President. We don't have a minute to waste.

Hillary's got the depth and breadth of experience to really help folks get jobs, put more cops on our streets, educate our kids, reduce the dropout rate, and invest in our communities.

I know Hillary and I know she cares about us.

She'll get the job done right now.

Hillary Clinton: I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

"Spectacular" (Philadelphia Market)
TV :30

Governor Rendell: It's gonna take a fighter to get us out of the mess this country's in. And that's what Hillary Clinton has always been-a fighter. A doer.

She's got what it takes to revitalize our economy, create jobs, cut taxes for the middle class, and to bring affordable healthcare to all of us.

I've known Hillary for fifteen years. She's spent her life standing up for people. When she believes something has to be done, she just won't quit.

She'll be a spectacular president.

Hillary Clinton: I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

"Falling Through" (Harrisburg, Johnstown/Altoona, Pittsburgh, and Erie Markets)
TV :30

Hillary Clinton: The Bush economy is like a trapdoor.

Too many families are one pink slip, one missed mortgage payment, one medical diagnosis away from falling through and losing everything.

The oil companies, the predatory student loan companies, the insurance companies and the drug companies, have had seven years of a president who stands up for them.

I intend to be a president who stands up for all of you.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

"Nuestra Amiga" (Our Friend – as translated from Spanish) (Philadelphia Market)
TV: 30

Our voice and our vote will elect the next President of the great country.

Our candidate is Hillary Clinton because she respects our culture and understands the problems that affect our community.

Millions of Hispanic families live with the fear of not having health insurance.

The economic crisis and the cost of living are of concern to all of us.

Hillary is our friend and will help us.

Let's vote for Hillary on April 22nd and we will have a better life.

We are with you!

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approve this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. dennis

What really saddens me is that Hillary continues to LIE!(NAFTA) LIE! (ALLEGED BOSNIA SNIPER FIRE) LIE!( IRELAND). Clearly she can't be trusted. Just ask the youth of America who, by the thousands, are convincing their parents to vote for OBAMA.

And she stooped to a new level for asking America (mostly women) to give her some POINTS because it takes longer for her to dress up and get ready than men. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

April 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  2. gerard morei

John Smith, you say that you are catholic? and you are supporting a guy that said in an speech "I won't punish a teenager with the born of a baby" PUNISH?. I do not think you are a catholic, not even a Christian.

April 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. Tommy, TX

just saying April 8th, 2008 2:14 pm ET

Wow! Hillary is a real leader? More like the biggest liar right behind George Dubya? We don't need more of the same that we've had for the last 8 years.

April 8, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Now we know

The reason most news agencies won't report anything bad about Obama, even the truth, is because lots of them are getting death threats if they do.

It's not just that they are against Hillary, they are afraid to say anything else

April 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. KHAL Houston,Texas

Liar,Liar...pant...s on fire!!

April 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. Peter in Canada

I hope that anyone who wastes his/her time watching that Sinclair video on YouTube, like I did, do not believe that garbage. That guy is as crazy as a loon. He apparently lives in a subsidised housing project in Wisconscin, failed his vaunted lie detector test etc..
    He is a NUT plain and simple!

April 8, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. Ben-Portland

Lol & others- how come she can't put Obama away? How come she can't run a successful or even well managed campaign? How will she win in November when she can't even beat, basically, a JV player for her spot in the game? Although lots of people claim to be "Clintonists for McCain" there are still many more democrats out there who realize that either of these folks are better than more of the same, and most of her primary supporters will gladly vote for Obama in November. We've watched her campaign for longer than any other primary since the dawn of the 24 hour cable news and internet blogging world. We see that she's got money problems, poor leadership, no control over her people... She can't perform so poorly in the primary and expect the superdelgates to reward her with their vote. All she can do from here on is drag out Wright for the right and damage our nominee before the Republicans can even take a shot.

April 8, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. Julie

I am from Scranton- Hillary still has family there, she has visited the area with Bill each year for a long time, and when Bill was president, Scranton did well. The people in Scranton really like Hillary- so anyone in this forum who is criticizing her for her new ad, you have NO clue about her ties there, but the people in Scranton do, so mind your business!

April 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. Ilona Proud Canadian

Folks,

Please google the Huffington Post!!

I have been wondering when we would be hearing who, and what countries paid Bill Clinton all those millions of dollars for overpriced speeches. Well I just found out who paid him $800,000. I am sure we will be hearing a lot more.

Luis: You should tread very carefully when you make such disgusting comments, have you ever heard of "defamation of character"? The only people who would give you the time of day on your disgusting comment are per***ts!!!

April 8, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  10. mary, Dallas, Tx

It always seem to amaze me how people justify wrong in people they like. I prefer to like the person inspite of their short comings. No one really knows who Hilliary is because she has made up so many stories. It amazes me that senior citizens, white females and uneducated people are drawn to her. According to her tax report, her relative received a loan which has to be paid back with interest. How many of you treat your family this way?

She states that she fired Penn but she has others in her camp working on the same deal. Do you honestly believe that these people are working for nothing. Most of the superdelegates that she has is because they owe Bill from when he was president and they are currently paying him back. I hope that the governor of PA was wrong in stating that his citizens would be more concern about race and not vote for a black man. Just remember, he is not totally black, just half.

Vote OBAMA!

April 8, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  11. Shane

I just do not understand why some people will follow the person saying" I am for change" when that supposed to be leader never talks about changing what or how. Even if Obama were to be elected he would need the backing of congress to change whatever he thinks he can change. Hillary is a flat out crook who pays herself all the while claiming it went to charity (her own that is). Change what OBAMA? Hillary will not let you!!!!

April 8, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  12. Rightshored

I think you are all missing the point about a trade agreement with Colombia. There is no trade agreement with india or China and this is where all your jobs are going. Companies like Cap Gemini and IBM are happily moving jobs to these and other lower paying countries while everybody looks at Canada and Mexico.
    How come none of the contenders for the Presidency are talking about keeping American jobs in America.
    If the Pols dont want to do this, then ordinary people need to get together and start purchasing American made products only and stop purchasing cheap, potentially hazzardous products from countries where labour and environmental laws do not exist.

April 8, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. MAKE HER LEAVE NOW

BARACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!!!

BECAUSE HONESTY MATTERS !

BECAUSE INTELLIGENCE MATTERS !

BECAUSE INTEGRITY MATTERS !

April 8, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. Joyce memphis, tn

This is crazy. The obamabots will spit hatred regardless what Hillary does. Now they are jealous that she and Bill are worth 109million dollars. Did you know that they were in serious debt when they left the Whitehouse? Oh, and their salary was just under 200thousand when they got in the Whitehouse. They made their money from books and speeches and I applaud them for that. Okay, her family was wealthy in the 50s...BIG DEAL!!! So where the Kennedy's. She has done more for the minority population then the other two candidates. But I guess that doesn't matter to the Obamabots. They will be the reason why McCain will win the GE.

CNN Please Post!!!!

April 8, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  15. Colleen McCloskey

Excellent job – kudos to script writers – focus is on what every intelligent person recognizes as Hillary's strengths. – She is a brilliant, focused, leader with an indomitable spirit. Two years from now her Presidential approval rating will be commendable and we will wonder "what were we thinking by entertaining the notion of less-abled people." Thank you Hillary for weathering the silly/senseless obstacles the talking heads enjoy to create.

April 8, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  16. Judy

What makes you think that Hillary is ruining the election for the democrats? I think it takes two to tango! Obama should also take half of that responsibility! He is also causing people to re-think about voting a democratic ticket. He could also stop this!
    America is a free country! If she wants to run, who are you to say she should drop out for his sake or for the sake of the democratic party!

April 8, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. maca

Go Hillary '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't need ANTI-AMERICAN PRESIDENT AND ANTI-AMERICAN FIRST LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  18. Ron

T from Missouri.
    No, thank God I have not managed to become an habitual Liar.

April 8, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  19. kelly

I find the Hillary bashing despicable! Are you all Republicans or Obamartards? Just Hillhaters, regardless.

Obama may have never "won" Hawaii or Kansas if he did not claimed to have lived there.

Hillary has roots in Penn. and has every right to claim it as home.

April 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. change1

ALWAYS RUNNING FROM THE TRUTH AND WILL NEVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. ALL SHE DOES IS EITHER USE ADS OR "BLAME IT ON OBAMA" TO DIVERT ATTENTION FROMHER GROSS IRRESPONSIBLITY. WHAT ARE YOU TEACHING TODAY'S CHILDREN? YOU WANT TO GO BACK TO THE WHITE HOUSE AND SETTLE YOUR DEBTS??

April 8, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  21. Jimmy SC

I just want to say that I was a huge Hillary supporter and it took a while but I eventually saw through her for what she truly is ( and can't use the kind of language on here ) and would never vote for her now! If Obama doesn't get the nomination I am voting for McCain!

April 8, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |