April 8th, 2008

Obama chipping away at Clinton's Pennsylvania lead

Obama is gaining ground in Pennsylvania, according to several polls.
Obama is gaining ground in Pennsylvania, according to several polls.

(CNN) - Barack Obama continues to chip away at Hillary Clinton's lead in the crucial state of Pennsylvania, a new Quinnipiac poll out Tuesday shows.

The New York senator's lead over Obama now stands at 6 points in the new poll, 50-44 percent. That compares to the 9 point lead Clinton held in a similar survey released 5 days ago, and an 11 point lead in a Quinnipiac survey late last month.

Specifically, Clinton has lost ground among white voters and men: She now holds an 18 point lead among whites, down from a 25 point gap in last week’s poll, and trails Obama by 4 points among males. Last week, the two drew equal support from men.

But Clinton continues to remain strong with her core voting bloc of older voters and white women, and likely Pennsylvania Democratic voters rate her more favorably than Obama - 71 percent for Clinton and 67 percent for Obama.

With the latest Quinnipiac poll, CNN's poll of several recent surveys show Clinton's lead over Obama in Pennsylvania now averages 6 percentage points. That gap is 1 point less than Monday’s poll of polls and 5 points less than a CNN poll of polls on Friday.

What's behind the shift?

"Obama has outspent Hillary Clinton three to one just on television advertising in Pennsylvania. He spent more than $3 million trying to get his name out and his message out to Hillary Clinton's $1 million," said Mark Preston, a CNN political editor.

The Illinois senator has also heavily benefited from the Service Employees International Union, which according to recently filed FEC reports has spent well over $700,000 on get-out-the-vote-efforts there.

1. Kris in PA

What about the SurveyUSA poll that still has Clinton up by 18 points?

April 8, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  2. I Used To Love her, PA

Hillary's tendency to be 'for something before she was against it' has crossed over to me and many other former supporter. 'I used to be for her but now I'm against her.' We don't need another LIAR in the WH!

April 8, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. California girl

Obama is NOT change w/ the endorsment of Senators Kennedy, Kerry, Daschel, etc. (this is old school politics as usual). Also, Obama lied about fund donations from BIG OIL companies. Per Meet the Press on Sunday, Mr. Russert stated Obama did in fact receive big money from the Big Oil Companies. Who's lieing now?

April 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. HILLARY 08!

Um, isn't that what "they" said about NH and Texas?? Polls are not perfect! Polls do not talk but people do–when they vote. The public really needs to possess a healthy skepticism about polls. Really, now how can they project the votes of an entire nation by talking to only a thousand or so people? They do not talk to everyone but instead they take a "sampling" from it. If you really believe they talk to every single person then you are not very smart people. The media is also to blame for this poll stuff b/c they do not do a better job of educating the public.

As for me–I'll not get all giddy or nervous when it comes to polls.

April 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. Changing to Independent

I personally think Sen. Clinton is a good candidate. She really shouldn't keep talking about the spending though, because her's is a household name, he has to spend the $ to get his name out. I think she is too good a candidate to have to keep dealing with all the spin!

April 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  6. Mr. J

What would you expect. All the false adds Mr Obama has dumped on penn will no doubt sway some of those who are to lazy to do the research for themself. I think it's just amasing Hillary has done as well as she has concidering how biased the media has been. Mr Obama might be handed the nomination but he'll be distroyed by the republican machine. Anyone voting for the most qualified would not even concider Mr Obama. Lets just hope the remaining primaries get it right and send Mr Obama packing.

April 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. Anna, Pittsburgh

April 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. Eric in Ca

How can Hillary win the general election when she hasn't and isn't winning the primary election?!
    Please Dems stop saying you'll vote McCain if Hillary doesn't win the primary (as though you're holding us hostage).
    Vote McCain, then watch your sons and daughters be drafted because you spite Obama!

April 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Brian

Know what? It ain't advertising money, CNN... it's Hillary's constant lying and negative campaigning.

Americans and Pennsylvanians are realizing that voting for the Clintons means having to put up with another four years of their nonsense.

Meanwhile, Obama's voice has been positive, clear and consistent. Vote for real hope and change!

OBAMA '08!

April 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Reality Check

The Obama supporters on this website are so absolutely negative and seem to be hatemongers. They make the most personal attacks I've ever seen towards a candidiate. All they ever do is attack Sen. Clinton in the most base and nastiest way. If that's what Obama is about, then I say no way Obama. We deserve better than that.

April 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  11. mk

Obama 08? No, I don't think so...

April 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. checkthisout

OBAMA IS GOING TO CHANGE IRAQ.
    That is about the only thing he can change.
    HE WILL GIVE BACK IRAQ TO AL QAEDA.
    While we all stay at home to pray with Jeremiah Wright.
    ALLAH AQBA !!!!

April 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  13. dem08

I'm confused. Penn's dealings had nothing to do with Hilary's campaign, but Obama's racist pastor-as you so eloquently put it- is directly related to Obama's campaign? How is that double standard working for you?

Quite frankly, Hilary's narrow lead in PA is a defeat for her. Obama doesn't need to win, he just needs to even the playing field so that Hilary does not win a majority of the state's delegates.

April 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  14. stillwaiting

When he was running for the position he has now, he was in a 4th of July parade. He was smiling and shaking hanbds and telling the people "I can help you, you need jobs here, I can do it. You need lower taxes, I can do it, you need better schools, I can do it, just vote for me and I will get you all on the right track." Well, we voted for him, and what has he done. Let's see, went on book tours, and voted present and set his sights on being president. Well, we heard how you can help us....we are still waiting.

April 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  15. Alexandra

Shame on you CNN for puting a negative spin on Obama catching up to liar Clinton in the polls.
    He is winning not becaue he is outspending her, but because her lies are catching to with her.
    Even my 5yr old son, knows that is the reason why Obama is catching up to her.
    Shame CNN

April 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  16. Farren Ballanst

Justin PA

My ADD won't allow me to make it through your manifesto. Next time, could you cut it down to 2 or 3 chapters?

April 8, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. MsCjay

Dear God, Thank you for making a way where there seems to be no way. Please make the "Clintons" go AWAY! Amen

April 8, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  18. B from Indiana

ELE (Everybody love everybody) Whether, Sen. Obama or Clinton wins the spot, i'll be voting Democrat in November. Time for a shift in leadership. No one candidate is perfect or will have all the answers, wake up people...God is in Control!

April 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. Dan

I would like to believe that the Clinton's motives for seeking, or re-seeking as the case may be, the presidency are in the interest of working America. But somehow, their $109 million pot of gold and their rather venonous campaign tactics tell me, power and privilege is the real driver. Let's see what some new blood can do. Hillary (and Bill) stand down and let fate run its course.

April 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. Randy - Denver

Chris have you STILL not read Mr. Obama's platform? I thought we had put this "empty suit" discussion to rest ages ago, but it appears that not everyone has learned to read... platforms that is. Let me use small words to respond, Yes we can and Change are slogans, short easily remembered phrases that help identify the candidate (I would list Ms. Clintons as a reference for you but there have been sooo many of them) stump speeches are designed to get you pumped up about the candidate, the technical pages from ANY candidate would put you to sleep (I doubt you remember but one foo the largest complainyts about Mr. obama at the staart of this election is he was boring talked in too much depth about his policies and the issues) if you want that informtion you need to actually do the leg work yourself and look it up it is readily availiable on his web site (as is Ms. Clinton's). So to answer your questions NO he is not planning to change things with a slogan but with a plan... you are expected to do a bit of work and look it up yourself sorry life is not spoon fed to you.

April 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. Seriously?

If anyone thinks Obama doesn't have lobbyist under his thumb, you are SORELY mistaken.

Did Obamanistas actually know that Obama has donated DOUBLE what any other candidate has to SUPER DELEGATES?

Do your research. I am becoming more and more ashamed of my fellow Americans.

The anger and hatred spewing of Obama supporters.. its disheartening and unnecesary.

NEVER GIVE UP HILLARY !

April 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. Hillary 08

To Huffington's Huffers, tell obama to do the right thing and just go away. We need a strong leader like Sen. Clinton

April 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. To Anna

"Anna, Pittsburgh April 8th, 2008 1:08 pm ET

I dont believe this poll. My whole community outside of Pittsburgh is supporting Hillary overwhelmingly. I can tell she has deep support all over Pittsburgh which is suppose to be an easy win place for Obama."

That's right Anna, please don't let data get in the way of your belief. GW Bush certainly doesn't.

Geez, why are so many Clintonistas unable to grasp basic math? I think some of you went to college, right?

April 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  24. Michael

A recent SurveyUSA poll shows that Clinton leads by 18. If anyone knows anything about election year polling, SurveyUSA is one of the most accurate polling companies out there. I would put far more stock in it than other polls.

April 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  25. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

Hillary and Bill donated "charitable funds to themselves". Oh my!
    Hillary and Bill lied to Americans about Canada. Canada apoligized
    to the Americans. Bill was in Canada at the time the lie was "set up"
    Obama won 14 states and Hillary lied to Ohio to win their vote. Fishy?
    Hillary is a habitual pathological liar. So is Bill.
    America have in the past made heros our of skunks and liars.
    Old Politics don't work no mo!!!!!!! no mo, no mo.
    Look at Bill's record on Columbian Trade Deal. His support of it!!!! Yes he did!!!!
    Hillary wants to support Columbia Trade Deal but it might really hurt
    her right now.
    Hillary WILL OWE Her Campaign $20 Million if she quits today.
    Obama man you go. you go, Man!!!!!
    Hillary, Don't you come back no mo, no mo, no mo. Don't you come
    back no mo!!!!! We love Obamaman!!!! No matter what!!!!!!!

April 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |