April 9th, 2008

Clinton: I have different attitude than my husband

Clinton campaigned in Pittsburgh Wednesday.
Clinton campaigned in Pittsburgh Wednesday.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Wednesday she has long disagreed with her husband on issues of free trade.

"I have a long record of being on a different attitude toward trade than my husband does," she said in Pittsburgh. "I don't think any married couple I know agrees on everything. And we disagree on this."

Bill Clinton has indicated in the past he supports free trade with Colombia. The New York senator is now sharply critical of the measure and said she will work to see it is not authorized by Congress.

Asked Wednesday if she had talked about this issue with her husband, she said "we talk about everything."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Dale, Indianapolis

So let me get this right........she can bring peace to the Ireland, but yet she cannot bring peace to her own campaign staff???? I mean really, c'mon people. All of you cat food chompin, carpet munching fans of Hillary who like to blame Obama for all her problems, even you have to admit this is just too much.

She can't run her own campaign much less the entire country.

April 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  2. Kareem From Hampton, VA

Why is she still in the marriage? I think she should leave? Isnt that what you Hillary supporters said about Rev Wright! Your spouse has more influence on you then your pastor! My my my how the tables turn!

April 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. Paula in WI

Arkansas will always need a good attorney...bye Hillary and Bill!!!

April 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. ky

I agree Hillary and Bill are too different people but I think the Clinton supporters need to understand that Bill Clinton isn't going to sit back and let his wife run the country without his say. Already he has taken a lot of money from the company that wants this trade deal to go through and is still for it. I think her supporters are deluding themselves in believing that she will be the only one in the White House running this country. I couldn't see her as First Lady taking a back seat she is too ambitious so I certainly wouldn't be able to believe that Bill Clinton the ex president will be the First Man of the White House and be the dutiful husband. Yeah....that would be fun to see.

April 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. Dorothy Mae

WE DON'T NEED BILL IN THE WHITE HOUSE AGAIN! HIS DAUGHTER IS SUFFERING ENOUGH!!

April 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. @americans

BILL AND HILL ARE JOINED IN THE HIPS TOGETHER!!!

IF SHE TAKES CREDIT FOR BILL's EXPERIENCE IN THE WHITE HOUSE, SHE SHOULD TAKE CREDIT FOR SUPPORTING NAFTA AND THE TRADE DEALS WITH COLOMBIA!

THIS IS A BOLD FACE LIE BY HILLARY!

April 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Michael

Can someone on Clintons' camp tell me why special interest groups paid 50 MM+ to Bill for his speeches? Wake up Clinton people, this kind of money comes from people who want to bribe politicians in a legal manner. Nobody pays 50MM+ for speeches. It's a legal way to get what lobbyists get what they want. Do you still believe Hillary will fight lobbyists when her husband has got 50MM+ from them?. Can't you see the conflict of interest here? It's $$$ not a difference of opinion between a couple. It's just pathetic.
    I hope i am not insulting anyone's intelligence but I can't believe Clinton supporters can not see this conflict of interest between what Hillary says and what her campaign manager and husband are doing. It's just doesn't feel right.

April 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Veterans For Obama

Susan from MO.....How again is Hillary a strong woman? She 's ridden her Husbands coattails for the last 15 years. She would not be where she is today if it were not for Bill.

Strong women do it on there own like Nancy Pelosi and Condaleeza Rice (although I'm not sure if she counts as female).

April 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. lil

Hillary said that she is the only one to end the war and not to believe
    Oboma when he said he would.
    I wonder whoses lying............ lets see name starts with a h end with
    a y Hillary.

April 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  10. max

Sure they disagree on Colombia, uh huh.

They do file jointly now don't they.

I'm sure all Bill's business contacts and million dollar speeches will have no effect on Hillary. I'm positive.

April 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. Norman

If the trade agreement with Columbia was received well domestically, She would probably say that she was the think tank behind NAFTA and all these other trade agreements. It is a bit too convenient that on every popular action taken by the Clinton administration, Hillary was at the forefront, while unpopular antics Hillary completely disagreed with. Give it some time and she'll jump on the NAFTA bandwagon again.
    Now, obviously we need someone who is willing to admit they have committed and error. That trait has erroneously been labeled as a weakness. Someone who sticks to their principles no matter what the cost as Bush did... well, the results speak for themselves. However, to maniacally lie to gain public favor shows extremely weak leadership skills and shouldn't be in the White House, much less the Senate. Watch for a Hillary reality show in the upcoming years.

April 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. Cheryl

Sigh. Bill, Hillary and Mark Penn don't have any respect at all for the ability of the American people to see through a load of BS. I used to call it spin, but that's too dignified a word. After while, there is a pattern. You can predict what's coming. For instance, today, in an effort to distract us and be more comvincing that they often disagree, we learn that they also disagree on whether Bush should go to the opening of the Olympics. Another red herring, and an attempt to change the subject.
    I really and truly liked Hillary for so many years, and waited for her to run for Pres. It has proven to be a cascading run of dissapointment for me and for so many other women that I know. I hope thet next female that comes along does not do it on her husband's dirty coattails.

April 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. Beau from Denver

Mrs Clinton is losing a few steps on this Columbian NAFTA thing. First her Chief Campaign Strategist turns out to be promoting the NAFTA deal with Columbia and she makes a big deal out of Stripping him of his title but he remains a major player on her campaign then it comes out that Bill is all for shipping American jobs to Columbia. Mrs Clinton if this is how you run your campaign how will you handle the country?

April 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  14. Ifeanyi Azubike Houston Texas

If this is all that she disagrees with Bill on then she must be too liberal, and people no longer should bug Chelsea. However, I just wish she sounds slightly more believable.

April 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  15. whyputaname

When Rev. Wright says things that are derogatory, Obama supporters don't waste time defending him and saying that what the Rev. says has nothing to do with Obama. EVEn though Obama has admitted to calling this man his uncle, and throwing his grandmother under a bus all in the same sentence! Going to his church for 20 yrs, but never heard the Rev. say anything of the sort. Literally "lies" on TV. to the American people, but that's OK!

You know what I call that; Literally lieing on a stack of Bibles!!!

I wonder how many of Obama supporters voted for Bush Jr. before they were against him. Because it seems like it is these very same people don't have a clue!

"Hillary 08"

April 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  16. Chief lagosboy, NJ

More lies, Clintonistas, dump this lady........move over to the winning team, what say ya! Hilary supporters are considered the least educated people in America, huh!

April 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. unions are not stupid

the postal workers union just jumped dropped there support under Obama it is funny to me that these crafty Clinton's can pull the wool over so many peoples and no matter what is reveled they still look the other way I mean support your candidate yes! follow them off a cliff no way! watch as the numbers in PA keep tumbling. some polls in NC have Obama at a 25 point lead over her and she must win all the remaining contest by double digits to even have a chance.If she loses in PA she might as well give it up or call herself independent either way as long as she has nothing to do with democratic policy not only do i not want her as president I no longer want her in the party!

April 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  18. AJ, IL

Interesting to see Hillary now try to squirm away from Bill Clinton's most unpopular stances whereas before Hillary was about praising the 1990s and her part (although menial) in it.

Hopefully the unions and Pennslyvanians are wise enough to see through the Clintons double-speak and lies.

Obama in 08!

April 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Wisconsin for Obama

They have different views on the very core subjects of the campaign but you still allow him to go all over the country and campaign for you. What message do you give him to tell (lie) to the people. Men, these two people are pathetic liars and this is what I am talking about the Clintons taking american people for kids, delusional kids. No, we are not!!!

April 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. Grif

What can I do, but wish you luck. Lady... I just hope the rest of the Females don't let you down.

April 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. Wolf

Obama lies....Michelle wants day care paid for by employers....Obama lies....and????

A vote for Obama is a vote for McCain..a vote for Clinton is a vote for the White House.

Let's face it – the only way Obama is anyplace in this race is that he is buying it with the PAC money etc. that he gets on the side! Wake up America – he is not the right guy for the job!

April 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Kevin, NC

HILIAR stop lying (smile)

April 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  23. T Collins

I am appalled by people's support of a man who does not give any kind of strategic path for America. Obama has laid out no plans that are feasible, he piggy backs off of most of Hillary's policies and adds something at the end.

He's a political wimp who doesn't have the experience to run a town, let alone a country, and yet you people are singing his praises. You speak of doing what's best for America by voting Obama, and then say that you'll vote for McCain if he doesn't get the nomination.

That's certainly what's best for America. Oh, but wait, I forgot, as long as you don't actually have to answer to what you say, you're fine to wave the flag. Just like your candidate. This is pathetic.

April 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  24. al/Alabama

This is just another Hillary ploy. She is now trying to distance herself from Bill. Too late for that. Or maybe she is just misspeaking. The evidence seems to strongly indicate that she supports NAFTA now and always has. She duped the voters in Ohio and now it is PA's turn. Don't be fooled folks.

April 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  25. John, Las Vegas, NV

Every day with Hillary in the campaign is a gift to McCain. The ONLY person benefiting from her continued campaign is McCain. Maybe that's the way she wants it. She is so ticked off at Obama for ruining her coronation that she will do anything to hurt his chances of getting elected.

April 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |