April 9th, 2008

Clinton: I have different attitude than my husband

Clinton campaigned in Pittsburgh Wednesday.
Clinton campaigned in Pittsburgh Wednesday.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Wednesday she has long disagreed with her husband on issues of free trade.

"I have a long record of being on a different attitude toward trade than my husband does," she said in Pittsburgh. "I don't think any married couple I know agrees on everything. And we disagree on this."

Bill Clinton has indicated in the past he supports free trade with Colombia. The New York senator is now sharply critical of the measure and said she will work to see it is not authorized by Congress.

Asked Wednesday if she had talked about this issue with her husband, she said "we talk about everything."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Really I mean Really

All I can say is WOW some of these comments strike me as being not very well thought out. They only way she wins is by slinging mud and if she for some stupid reason wins the Parties nominee, then we are truly doomed. She will not win in the general election because of Negative campaign tactics. The Rev Wright has nothing to do with anything going on at my dinner table; he has nothing to do with the bills I'm paying just to stay ahead of the game. Rev Wright is not signing any checks down at the Federal Reserve Bank and he's not pushing any laws or bills or resolution through Congress. So drop it all ready. I'm pretty sure we can go back into every person’s life and pull up something hateful that they have said. Remember that’s what makes this Country so great everyone can say hat they want and not be judged right?????. Who defines what is right and wrong in America today. I really don’t care about the Rev Wright issue because it has no affect on my life what so ever. Just like Mark McGuire & Barry Bonds using steroids and not admitting it. I DON”T CARE about that stuff why because it does not affect my life. I think for my self and I don’t think Obama acts like or speaks like in anyway Rev Wright. If this is all you got then bring it on.

April 9, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  2. willis, Texas

ANOTHER LIE! SHE CAMPAIGNED IN SUPPORT OF NAFTA!!! SHE ATTENDED SEVEREAL MEETINGS IN SUPPORT OF NAFTA! SHE CONTACTED MEMBERS OF THE SENATE AND HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES TO PUSH NAFTA THROUGH!

MORE INSTANCES OF HILLARY SAYING ANYTHING AND DOING ANYTHING TO GET ELECTED!

ALTHOUGH SHE VOTED IN SUPPORT OF THE IRAQ WAR - SHE IS NOW SAYING THAT SHE WAS AGAINST THE WAR BEFORE OBAMA!!

FLIP FLOP - SAY ANYTHING - JUST WORDS!

THE WOMAN IS "BIPOLAR" AND A "PSYCHOPATH"!

April 9, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  3. gerald strother

Two top people in Hillary's campaign and life are for Colombia Trade and she is not Do you really believe that Bill is not going to be involved in setting policy HILARYS HAS NO SHAME WHAY DONT SHE FIRE BILL ?THEY DID PEN AGAIN NO SHAME Hillary and Bill are both liars

April 9, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. PA-The Last Stand

She does NOT AGREE with Bill but she IS WILLING TO CLAIM THE 800,000 THAT COLUMBIANS PAID HIM TO SUPPORT THE TRADE DEAL AS PART OF THEIR INCOME??? IS THIS WOMAN SERIOUS??? GIVE IT A REST HIL, YOUR GOOSE IS COOKED!

April 9, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. jl

IF SHE CANNOT CONVINCE BILL AND HER OWN STAFF ON FREE

TRADE- HOW WILL SHE CONVINCE OTHER DEMOCRATS-LET

ALONE REPUBLICANS- TO MAKE ANY OF THE CHANGES WE NEED

IN WASHINGTON????

She won't!!

Her great debating skills are not enough.

Her "experience" will not matter either.

It takes a UNITER to get things done and OBAMA has the

LEADERSHIP SKILLS and PEOPLE SKILLS to make that happen.

April 9, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. TIRED VOTER

What attitude is that? For once don't lie please!!!!!

April 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  7. Ephy

NO BILLARISNKY NO BUSH. PAGE TURNED.

April 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  8. Maaden

Both Hilary and Bill represent the good, bad and the lies. How can Hilary talk with a straught face that she doesn't agree with Bill and Mark Penn on Nafta/Colombia!

April 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. Elisabeth

The way Americans talk on these comments about articles, I hope that is not an example of your moral fiber! You need to see the good in all things, in all people and in yourselves. Both Dem candidates are good, good, good. Sure both made blunders ... um, haven't you, haven't we all? Can we please allow these people to be human beings and get on with making north america strong again? Hey, when crap gets aired, it's usually campaigners and the media. Doesn't mean you have to join the crap bandwagon!

I have never seen so much sexism in my life, as I have with this democratic race. If America gets either candidate as the next president you're sitting pretty.

April 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. Tom

Sure... they talk.... about how to "spin" everything.. and how to defuse a potential bomb.

But if they are truly talking, then someone is habitually not listening...,as these things always seem to come up as a surprise in her morning conference calls with the press.

April 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. Lance

She would sell Bill for cheap if that is what it take to win.
    She even lied about Chelsea's whereabout during 9/11 for a few empathy votes.

Incredible woman.

April 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. Al Ware

Senator Clinton has a very warped sense of reality and she is trying to play the american people for fools. Everyday it's something with either her, Bill, and/or her campaign. It's past rediculous at this point to even remotely think she is capable of being an effective president. If she can't convince her husband to be on the same side as her regarding politics, how in the world is she going to convince republicans to meet her halfway. I'll take my chances on Sen. Obama!

Obama 08!!!

April 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. Juan from L.A.

Sure Hillary Sure...people who support you need to wake up!!! You and your husband can't have it both ways. Can't be a snake with two heads. If he disagrees with you then pull him off your campaign trail. Its that simple. You do not see Maria Shriver campaigning for Arnold because she is a democrat and he is a Republican. Simple as that!!!

God I swear I cannot trust this woman!! Definitely will vote for McCain if she steals the nomination.

April 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  14. Pat Putignano, Huntington, NY

McCain – Keating 5, Savings and Loan Scandal...liar.
    Obama – I'm a law professor ... liar.
    Hillary is in good company if she's a liar too.

April 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  15. Scott

Riiiiiiiight, she is so independent from Bill that she made no attempt to influence him regarding his NAFTA plans even though she sat in on those meetings. The lady who posted that Hillary is a strong women is a simpleton. If Hillary is so strong, she would have divorced Bill, and ran for office under her maiden name. But no, she's not a political moron. She ran on the Clinton name, not her own. Bill helped her get into the office of Senate. They moved to New York under the FALSE pretext of Bill setting up a law firm, even though EVERYONE knew he was going to be disbarred because of perjury. So the only reason they went there was so Hillary could pull a Bobby Kennedy at get elected. If Hillary was so strong, she would not use Bill to help her campaign at all. Lets get real people, the only reason, and I mean the ONLY reason she is able to run is because of her last name, which she chose to keep by not divorcing the nitwit. Boxer and Feinstein have more of a right to run for President than she does based on their vast experience. They are strong women.....not Hillary who sold herself out to get into office. Wake up Saps!!

April 9, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  16. arthur -Boston

try an get a life you Hillary haters. She is a far better, more experienced and a more all around savvy person than this Obama fellow. get over the idea that a woman can't be in the White House. From where I sit, some of the world's best leaders have been of the female gender.. When a female says she is against something ,there is far less chance that she will change her mind than a guy. All you married guys should know that by now.

April 9, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  17. Rose - Baltimore, MD

This woman is like a chameleon. I just want her to pick one thing that she will stand by all through. She keeps changing with every audience. She goes by what she thinks people want to hear at a given moment.

April 9, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  18. Me

I like the idea presented above by Cayman Islands. Actually, Bill and Hillary retiring to the Caymans is one way that we could get the two of them on one Ticket (airline). How's that for thinking outside of the box?

April 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Martha, Georgia

HRC will try every lie to win. In 1990's she fought for congressional support of Bill Clinton's NAFTA plan. Second, if she disagreed with his NAFTA, why now is she disagreeing with it. She had two senate terms to try and change Bill Clinton's screw up. Thirdly, that was the highest point of Bill Clinton's presidency to push NAFTA, where was HRC, pushing congress to agree. HRC will say push any lie to win.

April 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  20. SUE, Michigan

Oh, viv, among others, if you are so caught up in what you think are Hillary's lies, you must be too busy to listen to your own candidate lie about his fundraising (oil money and lobbyists), his church "I wasn't there, except I was there," the war "I did not vote for this war" except he kept funding it...or do none of these count? Obama thought he could get away with flashy speeches, staying above the fray, and being the advocate for change. Well, he has thrown as much mud at others as anyone else, and is just as divisive to the party as you claim Hillary is. She will be a better President, and if some of you people would stop and realize that, counted or not, the votes in Florida and Michigan went to HER and that puts her in the lead on all counts. Only Hillary can beat McCain, so think about that too. But you won't-you'll keep reading the selective CNN polls and nothing else, and keep buying into Obama's charisma. Good luck with charisma when it's time to end the war in Iraq and move troops to Afghanistan.

April 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  21. jaylo

From Factcheck.org
    In a new ad, Obama says, "I don’t take money from oil companies."
    Technically, that's true, since a law that has been on the books for more than a century prohibits corporations from giving money directly to any federal candidate. But that doesn’t distinguish Obama from his rivals in the race.
    We find the statement misleading:
    * Obama has accepted more than $213,000 from individuals who work for companies in the oil and gas industry and their spouses.
    * Two of Obama's bundlers are top executives at oil companies and are listed on his Web site as raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the presidential hopeful.

April 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. Gigi

This is so flawed. Hillary disagrees with Bill on the Colombian and other free trade issues. However, she has no problems in enjoying the monetary fruits of these business dealings. Those two must believe that the American people are complete morons.

April 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  23. Saska

You can choose your pastor and you can choose your husband.

"And we disagree on this."

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

I want to take Hillary Clinton at her word that she opposes the Colombia trade deal and that she will vote against it. I don't actually hold the ACTIONS of her advisers or her husband specifically against her in this situation.

I do, however, think it shows a bit of a tin ear on her part that Mark Penn is still working for her campaign.

And I can't help being bothered by the fact that Colombia's president had such vicious things to say about Barack Obama's position on the trade deal, but nothing to say about Hillary's same position.

April 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Ron

We do think that you would be a much better president than Bill. Please fight on and do not let a bunch of people who just talk with hatred in their hearts rule the world. We are all with you!!!!

Go Hilary Go!!!!

April 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  25. willis, Texas

CAMP HILLARY SAY THAT "OBAMA MUST SHARE SAME OPINIONS" AS REV. WRIGHT!

SO WHY SHOULD WE BELIEVE "BILL AND HILLARY HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS"?

April 9, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |