April 9th, 2008

Clinton: I have different attitude than my husband

Clinton campaigned in Pittsburgh Wednesday.
Clinton campaigned in Pittsburgh Wednesday.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Wednesday she has long disagreed with her husband on issues of free trade.

"I have a long record of being on a different attitude toward trade than my husband does," she said in Pittsburgh. "I don't think any married couple I know agrees on everything. And we disagree on this."

Bill Clinton has indicated in the past he supports free trade with Colombia. The New York senator is now sharply critical of the measure and said she will work to see it is not authorized by Congress.

Asked Wednesday if she had talked about this issue with her husband, she said "we talk about everything."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. McCain 08

I've been a strong conservative for more than 30 years. I followed Hillary and Obama for more than 8 months now......

Why would anyone vote for Hillary or Bill? McCain is still my candidate for now, but Obama may get my vote.

PA

April 9, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  2. BR

I really don't buy that...at all.

April 9, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  3. Joseph

Has she hired George Orwell to replace Penn?

Hillary's double speak is endless. She wants to credit herself for every aspect of the past Clinton Aministration, except those disasters–NAFTA, her failed attempts at health care revision–that actually speak to who she is and what she stand for.

Enough lies. It's time to move on.

April 9, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  4. t

Thats fine that she think differently than her husband but he is a former president that cant keep his mouth shut. HOws this going to play in the oval office?

April 9, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  5. Gerard

When did you disagree with him on this one Hillary?
    Oh yaaaa, this morning........opps..

How did you disagree?
    Honney, this NAFTA was so good until Penn quit. Because of Pannsylvania, I should disagree from now...just beween you and me, it is a good trade agreement though honney.....

shiiiiiiiii.........Who say SNIPPER???

April 9, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  6. arthurW from Virginia

Well.. Penn had to resign over this issue... what will she do with Bill –
    finally a good reason to divorce?

I am joking of coursey; all these aids falling on their own swords has been a bit too much.

April 9, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

This woman will say anything!!!! Everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie.
    Bill Clinton pushed for Nafta and pushed for Columbian Free Trade
    agreement and Hillary is saying she had nothing to do with agreeing
    with it and in the same breathe she says she is "experienced'" because
    she "helped" shape the nation!!! Does Hillary think Americans are
    crazy like her, or dumb like her. Why now, does she not agree with
    Bill. This woman is a pathalogical liar.

April 9, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. Veterans For Obama

I agree...I liked your Husband. He was HUMAN.

April 9, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. Diing, Washinton, DC

You choose your husband!. Hilarious!

April 9, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  10. Watching on the Sidelines from Texas

Only when you get caught Hillary. Only when you get caught.

Where is Mark Penn anyway...still working hard on your campaign no doubt.

April 9, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. James

In other words, all those people voting for Hillary because they miss Bill and wish he could have a third term as president - you're making a mistake.

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. Jenny Sprowl

Hillary, Please just let it go!!! How many times do you think you can fool people. It is just another pile of B.S. like you always say. If she wins and goes to the White house we are all in big trouble. She says Penn is gone but he is still there with her. And the sniper fire story..I almost bought that one but I saw the light when the truth came out. If I want to cry like the Hillary people I could always say no Hillary, I will vote for Nader. But unlike the Clinton people I will not cut off my nose to spite my face. Now they want to drag up The Wright Issue again. Is that the best she can do? How about, Hillary, Whay have you stayed with youe cheeting husband so many years? He can't keep it in his pants and you can't keep the lies from coming out of your mouth.

Please just give it a rest already. I used to really like you.. I am ashamed for ever being so stupid and blind. I am now Behind Barack Obama all of the way. You have always known and aproved f Whit Bill does with free trade deals. You knew what Penn was doing. You were all for NAFTA. And you still are. You just keep trying to cover it up so you can call yourself a winner. Forget it, Forget you..

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. Mandy, OH

She has a longer record of lying. Don't believe her America.

Obama 08

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  14. SueB

So, she runs on how good the economic record of the Clinton years was-but she disagrees with Bill on trade. Hmmmmm? Maybe....just, maybe those good economic years didn't have anything to do with Hillary. There goes another claim to experience.

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. ProudIndependent

Do you really believe that Bill is not going to be involved in setting policy. How does it look to the rest of the world when the President is going in one direction and the "First Man" is actively supporting another direction. This woman doesn't have consensus in her own household. She can't even convince her own husband to support a viewpoint. How can she convince Republicans and the rest of the nation. Forget about reaching across the aisle. You need to reach across your own dinner table first.

OBAMA 08

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  16. t

dont you love it too, the first somewhat positive story ( not even really that much of a positive) and the clinton supporters are coming out in droves " yea hillary!!! blah blah blah," shes done people

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. Jot

Lanny Davis is right, Obama needs to explain more about his paster "Wright". He used a speech about race to cover up the whole story. He was baptized by Wright, we don't know what his religion was before then. Obama come clean you will spoil the chances of the Democtratic party to win the presidency if you are the nominee. Republicans have your pictures in the church waiting to show up with you and the Wright in the church saying God D..,,America. Wake up people press for answers

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. pj

this is SUCH a staged issue. this is ALL to prove that she was against NAFTA even though Bill was pushing it.

open your eyes, dont even believe a word the Clintons say, its all their political game.

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  19. For the love of this independent

How can you convince congress about NAFTA and CAFTA when you could not and cannot convince your own husband and former top campaign strategist (now advisor).

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  20. Jamaal Kansas

Clinton is a Liar and i would move to Tibet Before I salute her as President.

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  21. April in Texas

If your so opposed to NAFTA and this Colombia free trade issue then WHY is Mark Penn still involved in your campaign at all? Your husband who also strongly supports what you claim to be against is still campaigning for you? If your campaign supporters and such continue to judge Obama by his FORMER reverand then please explain the difference you are doing. They are quite the same except for one small factor the word FORMER meaning in the past tense...

Obama 08

April 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  22. Tiffany J, Cinci

... "we talk about everything."

Is that so? I seem to recall a rather large snafu that I'm pretty sure Bill never mentioned to Hillary...

I don't trust either of them. Bill outright lied to the entire nation, repeatedly, under oath, on live TV. Why should I believe him now? Hillary seems to conveniently misspeak about things that only a looney would not be able to remember correctly. Not to mention that she turns her back on voters after the tallies come in. Greed, corruption, misleading, backstabbing, blatant lying, attempting to ride both sides of an argument, and twisting of the facts. That's all you will get from this delinquent pair.

I will move out of this country if that woman gets elected. I sincerely distrust her THAT MUCH.

Don't vote for Hillary.

April 9, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. Karen, TN

I don't believe for one second she feels any differently about this than he does. But even if she did, the fact is he WILL be in the White House with her and will have a lot of influence as her husband AND as former President. A lot of people ARE voting for Bill when they vote for Hillary no matter how many people want to gloss over that. Remember those bumper stickers that were all over the place when Hillary was running the Bill White House that said "Who elected her?" Back then her attitude bothered people. Let's not forget it.

April 9, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  24. Peter in Canada

Precisely the reason why spouses should be prohibited from running for your presidency!
    Anyone who thinks that the influence of their spouse is insignificant, has never been married.
    These sorts of questions are precisely why monarchies are a very very bad idea! She can cover for her husband and he can cover for her...truth and America's best interest will inevitably take a back seat to their personal aspirations. Again, if you really believe her opinions on free trade vary that significantly from Bill's you should WAKE UP!

April 9, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. MW Los Angeles

For all you NO BAMA folks...read it an weep!!

The American Postal Workers Union announced Wednesday it is backing Barack Obama, a boost to the Illinois senator two weeks before the crucial April 22 Pennsylvania primary.

OBAMA 08 – YES WE CAN