April 9th, 2008

Obama recounts first job—and the funny hat that went with it

CNN

Watch Obama discuss his first job.

MALVERN, Pennsylvania (CNN) – It's tough wooing women when you're wearing a brown cap and standing behind an ice cream counter, according to Barack Obama

He's speaking from experience. At a town hall in Malvern, Pennsylvania Wednesday the Illinois senator answered a question on Social Security by discussing the payroll tax, which led him to the topic of his first job.

"I was working at Baskin Robbins scooping out ice cream," Obama said. "And it was actually kind of embarrassing because you had to wear like the brown cap and stuff and the apron."

"Girls would come in. You'd be trying to talk to them. They wouldn't give you the time of day because you were in this cap."

"I was making… maybe a hundred dollars a week or something and they were still taking all this money out. I thought, man, that's the payroll tax. So it's already regressive. I don't want to raise the income tax on people who are not making a lot of money already."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Dr Ray from Ohio

The way Hillary has run her campaign so far, she isn't even qualified to run a Baskin Robbins store. She will probably run it into the ground. She $120 million + on her campaign so far and what does she have to show for it? A second-place finish in the Democratic nomination process and blaming everyone and his pastor for her problems. Time to close the door on the Clinton and Bush dynasties.

Irish for O'bama! Obama-Pelosi '08!

April 9, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. Mary

I am so sick of Hillary and all her lies that I can't even stand to look at her anymore.

April 9, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  3. Tom,des moines

Hussein Obama/Osama Bin Laden 08! I think not. Good bye Hussein Obama,Osama,Louise Farrakhan and Rev.Wright.
    Hussein Obama should go back to work at Baskin Robbins store. Why? Because that is what he good at and is the only people will hire him back.

April 9, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. Jill

I like his fresh appeal to the audience. It is such a change when you don't have to read between the lines, or decipher the codes. Hillary should try this sometime.

I can't wait to vote for him.

And to all the haters, he not a god, or a saint, but a real person who wants to do the right thing for America. You Hillary supporters should try it sometime, vote smarter.

April 9, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  5. Vince Los Angeles, CA

Mike April 9th, 2008 4:02 pm ET

You know its bad, when a true Democrat will vote Republican, simply to keep you from becoming the next President.

I can speak for 50 or so of my friends (all Professional, hardworking individuals), you simply lack the experience.

You're right "Mike"...it IS bad.....SPITEFUL, VENGEFUL BIGOTRY IS UGLY IN ALL IT'S FORMS.

sTOP the hate.....unite the party

OBAMA '08

April 9, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  6. Mary

Obama has more experience than Hillary !

A PROVEN FACT !!

April 9, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  7. Skipper

Obama lived in downtown Honolulu and went to a private school. You call this a rough life?

April 9, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  8. Buddy

Why want he talk about his career when got involved with Tony Rezko.

April 9, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |