April 9th, 2008

Pelosi again says joint ticket won't happen

Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.
Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.

(CNN) - A presidential ticket including both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would surprise many political watchers, but none more so than House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The California Democrat has repeatedly called such a ticket "impossible," and in an interview with mtvU student journalists Tuesday, she said flatly, "I don't see it."

"In this case, I don't see that as politically expedient," Pelosi said. "New York, Illinois…either one I believe are going to be strong Democratic states. I think it is up to the nominee to choose his or her vice presidential candidate."

Pelosi also seemed to suggest the two current Democratic presidential contenders wouldn't feel comfortable together on the same ticket.

"The person that is good is the person the presidential candidate feels comfortable with," she said, adding later, "I've just been involved in politics for a very long time and I just don't think that would be the ticket."

1. marty from Indiana

In a few weeks the Clintons will find themselves in court and up to their necks in litigation over illegal fundraising. Hillary won't have time to run for the VP spot.

April 9, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  2. JCL, Kentucky

Pelosi is just afraid of losing her position as the most politically powerful woman in the Democratic Party–a joint ticket guarantees that Pelosi will lose that distinction.

Put your ego away Nancy and let a joint ticket unify the party!

Dream Team 08

Dream Ticket 08

VoteBoth 08

April 9, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. Will

Hey Fred, I'm curious. How in the world is Hillary going to win the nomination? Please explain to me how that would work.

April 9, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. Betty

I would not want Clinton on any ticket.
    She tells so many lies, I'm surprised her nose isn't 5 feet long!

Go Obama!

April 9, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. Jen

SHE IS NOT RELEVANT

April 9, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  6. Barb

I agree–no way. Barack is much to smart to swallow this. He and anyone else that would agree to be Hillary's VP know only too well that they would be 3rd in line. Bill is not going to give up and if he has to come in the back door to accomplish a 3rd term he will.

April 9, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  7. Dan, MT

Is it Groundhog Day, again? Why are we still talking about this woman? Will she ever go away? Really.

To answer your question–hell no, we can't stand her, and don't want her on Barack's ticket. She stinks up the place.

April 9, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  8. Vladimir Jeune

No democrat will want Hillary as VP
    Go OBAMA

April 9, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  9. Lee WV

This is good news again.Hillary just needs to finish out her time in the senate then go home to be a housewife.

April 9, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. SayNoToHillaryBillaryCheslaryClintrous

Pelosi know what she is talking about, we all know by now our democratic nominee is going to be Obama. If he pick Hillary for his V.P then he is violating his principles that he believe in. He should and he will pick a V.P who values his priciples and beliefes. Hillary will go back to her old job as sentor that is if she can win it again which I believe is unlikely.

April 9, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. Fed up in Texas

I like you Nancy Pelosi but I think you need to sit back and stay quiet before you make me change my mind.

April 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  12. Meryem/Orlando

Fred, Get over it, Obama will WIN and he will not have hillary on his ticket. End of story!

April 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  13. CW4Barak

Thank Godd!!! I wouldn't want Clinton on any ticket!!! Clinton isn't fit to be a dog catcher!!!

Go Obama!!!

April 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  14. CJ

I wish this lady would just stop talking and get stuff done.

April 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  15. fred's a moron

Fred, it's because of people like you that make the democratic party weaker. 'obama isn't fit to be a dog catcher?' are you serious man? why would you say that about such a brilliant person?

i don't really care if you support clinton or obama, it's a time for unity. the one thing republicans have cleaned our clocks with over the years is to use their party's influence to become unified behind one candidate.

i don't think it's unrealistic to say that if obama and hillary were republicans, the party would have made hillary concede weeks ago. put your best candidate front and center, and get behind them 100%. that's how you win in november.

April 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  16. SayNoToHillaryBillaryCheslaryClintrous

Pelosi knows what she is talking about, we all know by now our democratic nominee is going to be Obama. If he pick Hillary for his V.P then he is violating his principles that he believe in. He should and he will pick a V.P who values his priciples and beliefes. Hillary will go back to her old job as sentor that is if she can win it again which I believe is unlikely.

April 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  17. Sqj

Don;t necessarily want Obama on the ticket – but why is Nancy Pelosi weighing in on this???? Cool it, Nancy!!!

April 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  18. Ralph Sucher

I wonder how Ms. Pelosi has hurt me today. It is about time she get to work!

April 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  19. John Ainsworth

Fred,

If you think you have some disagreement with Obama... wait until the millions and millions and millions of both Democrats and Republicans alike who distrust, disrespect and flat out dislike Hillary and Bill Clinton show you what disagreement is all about, if Hillary finds a way to scratch and claw her way onto the ticket. Hillary Clinton is beyond unelectable. She is the Democratic Party's worst nightmare. Many of the parties top members knew that from "day one."

Does anyone remember "Fatal Attraction?" Down right scary.

April 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  20. MD

How can we trust either one (I already don't trust Clinton any further than I can throw a piano) if after all the bickering, they put one one in bed together?

April 9, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  21. anita mason

Presuming that Obama is nominated, there is no way he would want Clinton as his running mate. She could not tolerate being in second place and would do all she could, once elected, to undermine him. And then there is the ire of Bill Clinton, who will have been robbed of his seat of power in the White House. Not a pretty scenario.

April 9, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. Vladimir Jeune

I Just have a new plate for my car. I change it to GOOBAMA
    I know some police will stop me to give me ticket. But i don't care to pay that ticket for OBAMA

April 9, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  23. Peter

Nancy, you've "been involved in politics for a very long time" and you still aren't successful as Speaker of the House opposing an unpopular president waging an unpopular war.

Do your job and let the two candidates decide what works for them.

April 9, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. Angel

Pelosi is right......... Obama and Hillary have similar policies BUT their personalities are really different........they can't work together..........
    Hillary has been waiting for her chance to be president and I just can't see her taking the VP spot......
    Obama has stated time after time "our moment is now", I don't see him coming back to run again.......His wife confirmed that!!...........He also can't be VP look what happened to Al Gore..... Obama will have no influence because he would be overshadowed by Bill....... (Co-presidency). again Obama going for VP would totally undermine his whole message of the past (Clinton, bush etc) or
    future(himself

April 9, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. PA for Obama, because Clinton not truthful

No one wants to be on a ticket with Hillary. They will bring back more garbage back to the White house.

Hillary and Bill Clinton was behing the NAFTA flack and everyone knows it.

So when Obama when why should he take on Hillary no need to.

April 9, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |