April 9th, 2008

Pelosi again says joint ticket won't happen

Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.
Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.

(CNN) - A presidential ticket including both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would surprise many political watchers, but none more so than House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The California Democrat has repeatedly called such a ticket "impossible," and in an interview with mtvU student journalists Tuesday, she said flatly, "I don't see it."

"In this case, I don't see that as politically expedient," Pelosi said. "New York, Illinois…either one I believe are going to be strong Democratic states. I think it is up to the nominee to choose his or her vice presidential candidate."

Pelosi also seemed to suggest the two current Democratic presidential contenders wouldn't feel comfortable together on the same ticket.

"The person that is good is the person the presidential candidate feels comfortable with," she said, adding later, "I've just been involved in politics for a very long time and I just don't think that would be the ticket."

1. Not a chance

Considering the completely different philosophies on the ways to deal with their political environment, I cannot see any way Clinton and Obama could be on the same ticket. In any case, with Bill in the picture, and his inability to stop meddling (he doesn't seem to realize he's not running for president) any ticket with Hillary on it is going to be challenging, not only to Hillary (how do you tell your husband, politely, to shut up?) but also to her VP. I don't think Obama would care to be in the middle of that. In the case where Obama led the ticket with Hillary as VP, the Bill factor is still there, and Hillary is such a strong woman I do not believe she'd be able to be a good, mindful and respectful VP.

Additionally, there's been so much venom between these two and their supporters, I cannot imagine them being able to put differences behind them and work together.

April 9, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. Reality check #1

Obama needs to explain his relationship with William Ayers. How do you maintain a friendship with a domestic terriost that attempted to bomb the Pentagon and still run for President? Obama needs to be disqualified. And why does the media ignore this story? The only one who will report on it is Fox News.

April 9, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  3. Andy Blakely, Duluth, Georgia

I am a supporter of both Hillary and Barak. I for one would love a dream ticket!

April 9, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. kathy in ohio

good ........................She can pick someone more qualified

Hillary 08

April 9, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  5. Independent in FLorida

I tend to agree. It just would not work with Bill Clinton in the middle negotiating free trade agreements.

April 9, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. Mike Cairo, NY

Sorry, but two "wrongs" don't make a "right."

April 9, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  7. nancy

Pelosi has no clue. She even support the slave master Dalai to rebuild the slavery in Tibert. Polititian has no idea what she support.

April 9, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  8. Jody

I think Pelosi is gunning to be Obama's VP. She really should stay out of this, but I don't think she can help herself. She wants to be the #1 Woman in the U.S. government.

April 9, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  9. Ifeanyi Azubike Houston Texas

Pelosi has consistently shown remarkable wisdom inspite of whatever her detractors may say. If anybody in America can picture Hillary as VeePee then they must be residents of wonderland. The Obama/Clinton ticket is only one of Bills attempts to undermine Obama's qualification and to think anybody bought is only a confirmation that some people still believe the Clintons. Well, Barack deserves the right to select who he can work with. The talk of a dream ticket thankfully will be what it is: A DREAM. Wake up people.

April 9, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  10. Eric

ALL HAIL QUEEN HILL-LIE-ARY, BOW DOWN TO YOUR QUEEN AMERICA. KISS HER RING FOR MERCEY OR YOU ARE FINISHED

ALL HAIL THE QUEEN

April 9, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  11. Ken in RI

Despite all of the blathering about "dream ticket," this pairing was never a good idea. Neither of these candidates have credible experience in foreign policy or the military. Pairing them up does not fill that void. When Obama is finally officially granted the nomination he has already so clearly earned and won, he will need to pick someone with some serious foreign policy bona fides (Richardon, Biden, or someone I've never heard of).

April 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  12. Teddy

Thank God!!! Hillary isn't fit to be a gutter cleaner. In fact, her campaign is operating out of the gutter.

April 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. So Cal Gal

Hillary's ego won't let her take second place where she belongs. She has too much baggage please, please drop out and go away!

April 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  14. WhoCares?

Pelosi... no one cares what you have to say.
    You are clearly in the Obama pocket.

How much $$ has he tossed your way via PAC's?

April 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  15. Herman LA, CA

I agree with you Ms. Pelosi it will not make a good ticket and I tell you why. Hillary has alienated the demarcate base with bring race into the campaign, I just wish that she would have ran a clean campaign and it would have been the best ticket on the planet.

Hillary have flip flop so many times and have told so many lies that I think voters have really caught on to you for who you really are. How many times has she changed her campaign slogan, website, and everything else?

I will be so glad when this is all over and Barack receives the nominee for the democrats so that we can move on and take on McCain.

Obama 08!!!

April 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  16. NickNas

She is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!

If ANYBODY is truely honest with themselves you cannot deny this. How can you expect ANYONE to want Hillary? Not to Bash but Seriously!! After all of her antics ( I am trying to be nice here) how could you expect ANYTHING to be done with her around. She is out of touch AND control. I am still wondering how she plans to keep her Husband in check. He is pushing MAJOR programs that SHE says she is AGAINST!! IF and I say IF we are to believe this how is she going to keep Bill from useing the Whitehouse to push his own private agenda designed to make them Richer?? Did we all not learn from BUSH and his OIL and Big Pharma Buddies??

Would ANY of you actually invite a person into your HOME who has slandered and lied about you and attacked your character as she has attacked Obamas?? Let me help you NO!! You would be waiting on the porch with a shotgun.

So WHY shoud Obama ask her to be the number 2. It is like asking a enemy to watch your back and being STUPID enough to trust them to do just that.

That is how bad I feel about Hillary and the Clintons after so many years of supporting them. She would only want the VP spot to undermine Obama and then run against him in 4 years.

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  17. bob

pelosi

go away...you sound like bush when gore wanted all votes counted

let the voters and democracy decide

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. Bukky

Stop asking her the same freaking question. She said it many times already. And stop posting it on here that he has yet to change her mind.

Anyone with half a brain knows that these too can not be on the same ticket. Hillary has just been EVIL

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. Eric in New Mexico

I agree. Both are dominating figures and cant imagine either willing to be co-pilot. Obama cant afford to have her on his ticket and still extoll the virtues of change; she wont win the nomination. Come on PA!! The Democratic Party needs your consolidated voice!

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  20. Colie Brice

Seems to me that Pelosi is aiming for that spot on the Obama ticket..

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. RYAN

Noboby will put a lying Billary on any ticket-that will be a failure........

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. EAM

I believe Chelsea should answer the question not dismiss it. Her answering the question would certainly help other women who have and/or will experience similar situations. Chelsea could answer the question from her perspective and how or what her mother did to overcome the ordeal.

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  23. Chris from San Antonio

re: fred April 9th, 2008 12:34 pm ET
    Thank God!!! I wouldn't want Obama on any ticket!!! Obama isn't fit to be dog catcher!!!

Yeah, not fit to be dog catcher, just editor of the Harvard Law Review and a professor of Constitutional Law.

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  24. Adam

Pelosi is the one spliting the party.

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. Frank, Missouri

Right ! Absolutely right ! What a nonsense to suggest a joined ticket.

You cannot have the power hungry, double faced Clintons in the WHite House ... and who would want to be in the White House with them ? Who would be the VP ? Bill or Hillary ?

April 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |