April 9th, 2008

Pelosi again says joint ticket won't happen

Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.
Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.

(CNN) - A presidential ticket including both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would surprise many political watchers, but none more so than House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The California Democrat has repeatedly called such a ticket "impossible," and in an interview with mtvU student journalists Tuesday, she said flatly, "I don't see it."

"In this case, I don't see that as politically expedient," Pelosi said. "New York, Illinois…either one I believe are going to be strong Democratic states. I think it is up to the nominee to choose his or her vice presidential candidate."

Pelosi also seemed to suggest the two current Democratic presidential contenders wouldn't feel comfortable together on the same ticket.

"The person that is good is the person the presidential candidate feels comfortable with," she said, adding later, "I've just been involved in politics for a very long time and I just don't think that would be the ticket."

1. Beau from Denver

Their is a lot of bitterness that I see dividing the Democratic Party. I don't think Mrs Clinton being added to the ticket would help Obama win in november but I do think it would benefit her to but Obama on the ticket. Either way the bitterness needs to stop. Mrs Clinton supporters are getting rabid and many Obama supporters aren't any better. They are both good candidates and deserve a fair shot. I am all for Mrs Clinton staying in the race as long as she feels she should so long as she remains focused on the Democrats beating McCain in the fall and not on tearing down Obama.

April 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  2. Union worker in Indiana

Hillary can't manage a primary campaign. She's 8.7 million in debt to small business owners and schools who held rallies for her. She's can't effectively manage her campaign staff. She has no consistent message. She makes nearly daily "misstatements". Her campaign was centered around 35 years of experience, most of which has been debunked.

Obama doesn't need to carry the Clintons to the presidency – he's doing fine without them.

Obama 08!! =-)

April 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  3. Be Truthfull

Hey how about a Hillary and Monica ticket, probably make bill happy

April 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. Charlotte

Obamas' picture appears to be his stump speech, "I did not vote for the WAR."

April 9, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. Scott

Clinton could never fit her over-inflated ego into the VP slot. Glad to hear she won't be there. She needs a break after all of this anyway and learn how to run a large administration. Hers is clearly in trouble.

April 9, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. Tyrone Brown, Seattle, WA

We are beyond the question of a joint ticket.

Obama '08

Tyrone Brown
    37th Legislative District State Candidate
    Seattle, WA

April 9, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  7. NJ

Does she realize that comment like this are divisive and hurtful to whoever becomes the nominee? What agenda does she have? This woman is destructive to her party every time she opens her mouth.

April 9, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  8. JB

The reasons many Obama supporters have decided to support Obama, is to avoid the "Hillaryesque" type of candidate.

If Obama picked up Clinton as his VP, I would question my vote for Obama in the GE. The main reason to pick up a VP is to gain traction in areas they are having difficulties. Hillary would not do that for Obama. She would only hurt him.

If a Clinton/Obama ticket was forced down our throats, there is no way I would vote for Clinton as Prez, and many Obama supporters agree.

That card would ensure John McCain's success.

The only people that would want such a card are the Hillary supporters who know they are about to lose anyway.

April 9, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  9. Willam from Texas

Nancy, the question I would like to see you answer is,

"Would you back a dream ticket between the two candidates?"

Now maybe you're talking this way because you don't personally want to see them run together. And being a politician, you know that weak minds are easiy swayed. Maybe you are trying to infuence readers of these columns, I don't know.

Please stop.

April 9, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. Linda. Boston, MA

They wouldn't! At this point, I don't think they even feel comfortable in the same room. But I don't know why people are still beating this drum. Don't people understand that a VP has to believe in the Pres, and the Pres has to believe in the VP? Clinton has already made it clear that she thinks Obama is less qualified than McCain to be commander in chief. That makes a joint ticket (however you define it) one without any credibility.

What I find particularly amusing is the Karma of the situation. 2 months ago, the idea of Hillary being Obama's VP would have been AMAZING! (I would have LOVED it). But she has gone so uber-negative as of late that she's made that impossible. I realize that she wanted to make history as the first female Pres (and I'm still eager for that day to arrive, because "Madame President" sounds very cool! :)) but she still could have made history as the first female VP. Her own nasty behavior, however, has eliminated that possibility. She has no one to blame but herself.

April 9, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  11. Paula

I am hoping people who enjoy writing negative comments for either candidate are also researching both Hillary & Barack. John McCain will try in the end to use scare tactics & his past military history to win this election. All of us will have to join in together to keep the party strong & not divide it. By the way I am a registered Independent but will be voting Democratic hoping to ensure we do not stay in Iraq another 4 plus years.

April 9, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  12. Dave C - NJ

Good, thanks for the update.

April 9, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  13. PA

The only way that Hillary would be offered a spot on Obama's ticket is if she, Bill, and Mark Penn said that they are sorry for all the negative things they have said about Obama. They could admitt that they would do and say anything to win. But then, they would be unelectable. They have set this up for themselves, now they have to live with it.

April 9, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  14. hugh

I don't think that Hillary has the ethics that Senator Obama is looking for in his vice president. The lack of financial transparency out of Bill and Hillary is of grave concern.

April 9, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. Republicans

Before some of you real Democrats start blogging remember there is a lot of Republicans pretending to be Democrats writting bad things about Obama and Hillary. Forget about it Republicans your day is coming very soon!!

April 9, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  16. An Agnostic Democrat

Fred:

Figuratively speaking of course, he obviously is not only more fit to be dog catcher than you know who, but he has caught more dogs. He's even excelled at it and bagged the biggest dog of them all – The Hilldog! (The other thing is he's less likely to eat puppies, and then try to defend it, distract from it or misspeak about it in order to get elected than lie-a-day Hillary).

April 9, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  17. No Clinton

That is great news! Clinton's floundering campaign would surely bring its baggage to an Obama/Clinton ticket. Anybody but Clinton!

Obama 08!

April 9, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  18. The truth

Fred, you wouldnt want Obama on HRCs ticket? Thats the only way she will win. Come on buddy. Get your head out the sand and come back to earth. You know how unlikeable Hillary is? She can't win an uno game much less the presidency. Stop being angry with yourself and embrace Obama.

April 9, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  19. Kenneth M.

OBAMA/PELOSI 08!

April 9, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  20. Bryan from Michigan

President Obama would be having to babysit Ms. Clinton on every issue.

She wouldn't be someone that could "share" the limelight.

Besides, I think the majority of Americans would sleep much better knowing she wasn't even anywhere near the white house.

April 9, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  21. Jack

I disagree w/ ol' Nance... she said she'd have the troops out too

I think a Clinton-Obama ticket will draw the entire Dem base and enough Independents (maybe not as much as McCain, but enough Independents) to win the election (the conservative base of the Republican party will not show up to vote McCain)

April 9, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  22. Deb

Why would a viable candidate want a VP who isn’t?

I'm praying for the Obomanations to go away-I'm really tired of their "Hate" messages everywhere!

April 9, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  23. sw

This pelosi creature is trying everything she can to help Republican, what a crazy woman!

April 9, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  24. gc

fred,
    I was very upset when Bush jr stold an election and strong armed his way into office. I don't understand why you think it is ok for Hillary. She lost my support because of her Bush like tactics.
    I am the white, 40 something educated female she used to carry.

April 9, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  25. MovingOn

Everyone knows it won't happen, why keep asking about it? Obama has the nomination locked up, it's just a matter of time until all the primaries are complete. Even if Florida and Michigan were counted as is Clinton can't win (which they shouldn't be, rules are rules). So how would Obama benefit having someone on the ticket that is exactly what he has campaigned to change? Let it die people...

April 9, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |