April 9th, 2008

Pelosi again says joint ticket won't happen

Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.
Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.

(CNN) - A presidential ticket including both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would surprise many political watchers, but none more so than House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The California Democrat has repeatedly called such a ticket "impossible," and in an interview with mtvU student journalists Tuesday, she said flatly, "I don't see it."

"In this case, I don't see that as politically expedient," Pelosi said. "New York, Illinois…either one I believe are going to be strong Democratic states. I think it is up to the nominee to choose his or her vice presidential candidate."

Pelosi also seemed to suggest the two current Democratic presidential contenders wouldn't feel comfortable together on the same ticket.

"The person that is good is the person the presidential candidate feels comfortable with," she said, adding later, "I've just been involved in politics for a very long time and I just don't think that would be the ticket."

1. Harvard Alumni for Obama

You're very mature Fred....

The truth of the matter is that the only way Hillary is going to get the nomination is if she steals it, and that will cause an uproar. Bottom line, she's never going to get it, but if she does, she will need him on her ticket.

Obama is not going to put her on his ticket, because he wants change in Washington, and Hillary is not that change. Nope, he won't ask Hillary.

And that's the truth Fred! Can you handle that?

April 9, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  2. Adam

Basically, if Hillary somehow wins, Obama wouldn't want to be VP in name only behind Bill, and if Obama wins, he wouldn't want to have to deal with all of Hillary's negatives.

Makes sense to me.

April 9, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Chelsea

Pelosi is right. There is no way Dems will stand for Hillary to be on anybody's ticket, much less Barack's, after her disgusting performance of a human being.

DNC really messed this one up.

Obama 08

April 9, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. Nick from TX

Obama/Richardson

Clinton/Biden

McCain/doesnt matter

April 9, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. Maxine

I agree it won't happen. If Obama wins, Hillary would not take a second seat. She is trashing him so bad, why would he run with her. Nothing like pulling the dems together Hillary.

Nancy is one smart lady.

April 9, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  6. George, Los Angeles

Go Hillary!

April 9, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. Aaron

Why would Obama choose a running mate that is helping John McCain?

Hillary has a about a 1% chance of winning the nomination. And her chances of winning the general election would be .0001% after a controversial convention. If she cares so much about ending the war, the economy, etc., why not get behind Obama, who still has a chance to beat McCain?

April 9, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. Ken

Clinton will be a spoiler on Obama's ticket!
    Vote for change 08', vote for Obama!

April 9, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  9. Smith

of course that would be ridiculous!

the two are incompatible

That comment from Fred is contradictory to language we heard from philandering Bill who said Barack would be a fine running mate with his pudgey wife .

I can't wait to read a psychological dissertation on the profile of Hillary supporters.

April 9, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. Anti-Obama

If she is on the Top, then that's fine to me. Otherwise, McCain will be the one I am going to vote for!!!!!!!!!

April 9, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  11. Mike M

After all the damage the clinton campaign are doing to the democratic party right now, I don't think Obama would want her as his V.P

Go Obama 08

April 9, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  12. Rose - Baltimore, MD

Yes Fred, Go Hillary! The only going she has is back to New York. And by the way Fred, Hillary would want Obama on her ticket but Obama wouldn't. He doesn't need her.

Obama '08!

April 9, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. ed

Fred,
    I wouldn't want Billary on Obama’s ticket, too much baggage... She isn't fit for dog catcher, pig farmer or cow milking. But she does make a good Pinocchio though!
    Everyone keeps bringing up Rev. Wright a man that is older than Obama so why does he have to answer for what someone else has said? But nobody will make Billary answer for her many lies...
    Your choice against the republicans.... possible Rev. Wright problems and a try to tie into Rezco canidate (Obama) or a problem with Bosnia lie, problem with Nafta lie, problem with Kosavo lie, problem with adviser lie, problem with claim of lady with no health care lie and the many, many other scandals that the republicans along with Karl Rove will bring up! And don’t try to say that Obama stayed with the church is a problem then the issue should also be; why did Hillary stay with Bill when 99% of the women would have left their man after going through that many relationships with other women?

April 9, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. lawrence

for those hillary backers stop been stupid there is no way she going to beat Mr. Obama so stop been stubborn.

April 9, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  15. Jacques

Pelosi is right. Also its not wise to consolidate all the power the democrats hold. Whomever loses will rise to a top leadership position and a strong voice in the senate. If they are forced to to pair up, dems will lose some strength in the senate.

Plus both candidates are strong enough to win alone, and their VP choices will be elevated to the spotlight, thus creating another star democrat.

Its much better for the party for them to go their separate ways when this ends, just the loser should campaign hard for the winner until November to help smooth over the rough edges.

April 9, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  16. wwf

It would be interesting to know the age of some of the posters on here based on their intelligent remarks.

April 9, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. Mike, Milwaukee, WI

If Clinton had bowed out of this race when she had lost 10 states in a row and it was clear she would NOT catch up to Obama, She would have been a shoo-in for VP. Now Obama would be a fool to pick her. She and her husband have bitterly divided the party by injecting race and she even has implied that John McCain is more ready to be President than Obama. She cannot be on Obama's ticket. If she is, I will not vote.

April 9, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. Key West Sun

No way Hillary take Obama as a VP, he is to damaged and would hurt her in middle america. This black liberation theology from his chuch is a bomb waiting to go off, not sure at this moment who I would want to see,,,think maybe a southern or far west , have to see how it plays out over the summer.

April 9, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. josea

Duh!

April 9, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. Independent in OH

FRED – "Thank God!!! I wouldn't want Obama on any ticket!!! Obama isn't fit to be dog catcher!!!" -- Seriously???? You REALLY trust the Clintons (and believe me, if you get Hillary you are SURE to get Bill too!!! – and Chelsea, I guess) to change the problems our country is facing without selling us out? Obama or not, the Clintons need to fade away!

April 9, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  21. Obamana

I Fully agree with Pelosi. Hillary is a very smart woman and knows what she is doing.

Hillary my next president. GO HILLARY!

April 9, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  22. maya

Pelosi- you need to BUTT OUT. WHY do you KEEP BRINGING THIS UP?! How does this help anything? What is your purpose? I can tell you now- If Obama wins and YOU are the VP- I will have a hard time voting for that ticket. Seriously.

I think you, Pelosi, are DIVISIVE and destructive and I no longer support you.

April 9, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  23. HILLIARY LIES

I would not want a back stabbing, lying and stealing HC on my ticket either!!!!!!

OBAMA 08

April 9, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  24. Rob,NC

Pelosi just needs to keep her mouth shut and stop making comments. I still would like to know who she is voting for as a super delegate. If she follows the will of the people from her state it must be Clinton, but I think she is a closet Obama supporter from most of her comments.

April 9, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  25. josea

Obama as dogcatcher? How about Hillary as town liar oops I mean crier. Obviosly these 2 hate each other.

April 9, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |