April 9th, 2008

Pelosi again says joint ticket won't happen

Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.
Pelosi doesn't see a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama.

(CNN) - A presidential ticket including both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would surprise many political watchers, but none more so than House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The California Democrat has repeatedly called such a ticket "impossible," and in an interview with mtvU student journalists Tuesday, she said flatly, "I don't see it."

"In this case, I don't see that as politically expedient," Pelosi said. "New York, Illinois…either one I believe are going to be strong Democratic states. I think it is up to the nominee to choose his or her vice presidential candidate."

Pelosi also seemed to suggest the two current Democratic presidential contenders wouldn't feel comfortable together on the same ticket.

"The person that is good is the person the presidential candidate feels comfortable with," she said, adding later, "I've just been involved in politics for a very long time and I just don't think that would be the ticket."

1. leapfrog

Goodness fred, you'd think he burned your house down. Don't you think you're taking this a wee bit personally?

April 9, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  2. Chris

No way Obama will have Hillary on his ticket. Why will he want a Bush as a VP? Hillary is the worst person that i know of. Wolf in sheep clothing and Hillary supporters are so naive to believe every word she says.

Hillary should just quit before she losses her respect.Opps..too late.

The fact is. Obama is already winning the nomination. Why should he care about having Hillary on his ticket? Besides, I am sure a lot of Hillary supporters will say , "I am voting for McCain". Fact of the matter is, that will amount to only about 5 % of hillary supporters and Obama will be getting a far larger percentage from the Republicans. So it does not matter if "a small number of hardcore" hillary supporters were to stupidly vote for McCain. I say, go and be ashamed of yourself at the end of the day.

Hillary/Chelsea 2016 – (hahaha..i had to laugh at that)

April 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  3. Micah

I don't understand why Pelosi is so hellbent against this ticket. I think it would heal the Democratic party. I'm supporting Hillary Clinton for President, but if Barack does get the nomination I would be much more comfortable with Hillary as his VP. It also isn't Pelosi's place to be making such a strong stance on this, it isn't her business right now. She's normally so focused on opinion polls and being politically correct, she just needs to sit back and be quiet. Personally, she's been such a disappointment to me. I was so excited when she became Speaker but she's just kind of blah these days.

April 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. Pat Va

CNN...it has been WEEKS since anything I've posted has shown up on a blog. I adhere to the posting rules and yet if I post something that's not PRO-Hilllary...it never shows up!!! You've created an extremely slanted point of view by doing this.

In any case, here is my post (ONCE AGAIN) on this topic: having Hillary as VP on a ticket headed by Senator Obama would be likened to handing over the Presdency to McCain on a silver platter!!!

Now, CNN...was that so hard to swallow???

April 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  5. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

Fred,

It's Clinton supporters like you who make it nearly impossible for the voters to unite over the important issues.

April 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  6. Jeff

Watch "Hillary The Movie" on You Tube!!!

For both supporters and non-supporters. You may be surprised. Theres no surprise why the Clintons have blocked release of this movie.

Bill was the first president to be impeached. Hill was the first, 1st lady to be involved in a criminal investigation.
    Lets give them another shot??

April 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  7. joann

Yeah Pelosi keep your big Honker out of it – you're the one splitting everyone up. I hope you're gone when we get a new pres. Go Hillary and NoBama!!

April 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  8. YOU NEED TO KNOW

Hillary says she's against CAFTA and Bill Clinton is for CAFTA......why should we have this DRAMA in the white house.

Obama 08....HE's against CAFTA...that's all you need to know...there's no conflict there.

PA you should really do your homework on this one.

April 9, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  9. T L

What does Pelosi have anything to do with the ticket? Well, unless she wants to be part of it.

And CNN, this is an old news, please talk about something else, and please report ALL news, and report them accurately.

Hillary Clinton is leading in PA by 18 points. Obama is leading in NC by 10 points.

April 9, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  10. Are You Kidding?

No thanks Nancy, we can do without Hillary. Maybe you can ship her to China and she can help the government stop the Tibetan protest.

In case the monks are shooting, she's a great warrior and will duck any incoming sniper fire.

April 9, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  11. Angus McDugan

Wait a minute... I just figured this out... Pelosi is hinting that she wants Obama to select her for his running mate. Why did I not pick-up on this earlier?

April 9, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  12. maya

Pelosi- BUTT OUT. Who are you to say anything about this?!

You are DIVISIVE and destructive and I question your motives (trying for VP to your saint Obama?)

I no longer support you.

April 9, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  13. kyle

fred, what is wrong with you? people like you on both sides of the political spectrum are what is wrong with this country. i'm guessing you're a conservative blogger intentionally posing as a hillary supporter to stir up some controversy in this race. well STOP. vote with your heart and see what happens this summer. if your candidate doesnt win move on and vote for the other. barack and hillary have almost identical positions as far as actaul issues go. democrats, STOP FIGHTING AND START UNITING!

DEMOCRAT 08!

April 9, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  14. Suzie

Speaker Pelosi just wants more attention, she needs to shut her mouth. If she cared about her party she would be doing everything to get her party in the white house, not splitting her party!!

April 9, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  15. Dee

Yes, there is no way Obama would have Clinton as VICE Prez. He wants to win in November.

No more Clintons!

Obama

April 9, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  16. Fabienne

Indeed, Obama won't need Clinton as VP.Pelosi couln't be more right about this!

April 9, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  17. Darrell, PA

She sides with John McCain and wonders why we just don't like her. She's a moron and our team can't use her, like she's trying to use the American people. Pawn her off on the GOP, they work well with vipors.

April 9, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. What is wrong with her???

Pelosi – why don't you just be quiet. You are really an annoying person. I a democrate, but you have absolutely NO INFLUENCE IN THIS RACE – so please let go of your 5 minutes of fame ok!!!

April 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. Denis

Not being able to make comment on Lanny Davis' questions about Obama and the Rev Wright because the "add comments" was again closed quickly, I have to say that I agree with Mr. Davis. Obama to this point still has not given a satisfactory answer as to why he continued to be a member of the church and why he rewarded Rev Wright with a position in his campaign. I am convinced that Obama does not think the way Rev wright thinks but why ddi he support him and not quit.

This is the essence of why I cannot vote for this man (Obama)!!!!!!

It completely baffles me as to why his supporters don't get it!!! This is a very serious and imprtant issue of Obama's Credibility and JUDGEMENT!!! Why do his supporters think that this issue (Rev Wright) is not important are they blind??

April 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  20. EBC

I don't know what this is even still an issue.

The fact of the matter is if Sen. Clinton gets the nominee, she NEEDS Sen. Obama in order to get the African American votes and the votes of the younger college population.

If Sen. Obama wins, he DOE NOT need Sen. Clinton to win the Presidential election because he can CHOOSE whoever he wants, who could be someone who could very well BRING MORE to the table than Sen. Clinton.

There ARE better candidates for VP than Sen. Clinton. So it's not a must for Sen. Obama to select her at all.

April 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  21. len

Obama would be out of his mind to consider Hillary as his vice-president and that he is not. Just the opposite. Geez, who would like to get mixed up with the Clintons anyway?

April 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. bill

It is time for the party to come together. Both of these candidates are great. I think Obama has ran a very good campaign. He is indeed a once in a life time leader.

April 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. Alonzo Demetrius

Who elected Pelosi to be Queen, anyway?

April 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. Gil - California

Hillary sucks, there is no politically correct way of saying that. She has been against the military and the military vet since her days in the white house and this democratic vet would NEVER vote for her if she was anywhere on the ticket. Obama is hope, Clinton (either one) is hopeless.

April 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  25. Kel

Nancy Pelosi and her friends DO NOT want a democratic president! Why is she so scared of winning??

April 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |