April 9th, 2008

Postal workers back Obama

(CNN) - The American Postal Workers Union announced Wednesday it is backing Barack Obama, a boost to the Illinois senator two weeks before the crucial April 22 Pennsylvania primary.

“Sen. Obama’s message is one of hope and change,” APWU President William Burrus said in a statement. “His message is special, and the timing is right.”

“We are most impressed by Sen. Obama’s commitment to eradicating the undue influence of special interests in the political process,” he added. “Our current political system does not allow for the voices of average citizens to be heard over the demands of lobbyists and big-money campaign contributors.

APWU is an affiliate of the AFL-CIO which says it represents 300,000 postal workers. The AFL-CIO could not reach an agreement on a primary season endorsement last year, though the more of its branches have endorsed Hillary Clinton than Obama.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Raf

when was the last time clinton got an endorsment?

April 9, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. M. Mitch

Hillary is going to go p....l over this. I bet she says their endorsement does not matter.

April 9, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Chuck

Good for you Obama. I see many Union workers and organizations are finally finding out that the Clinton's involvement with the sweat shops in Columbia places yet another hole (in addition to Hillary's support for NAFTA) in her claim that she supports and sympathasizes with the American worker.

April 9, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. JOSHUA

OBAMA GO ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE.WELL DESERVED.
    YOUR SPEECHES ARE VERY INSPIRATIONAL.WE NEED CHANGE AND HOPE.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.GOD BLESS YOU.

April 9, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Tom

Excellent. Obama is the one who offers genuine, positive leadership to help us make life better for everyone in society and make America a model world citizen again. I'm glad to see more and more groups recognizing this officially.

April 9, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Karen in Cape Cod

Has everyone in this country gone mad? This candidate has almost NO experience. I also question his judgement not only about the church he attends but many other issues!

April 9, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Postal Worker Indiana Terry

Hillary 08 As a disabiled Vet and a AFL-CIO member an a postal worker I support Hillary. Burrus is black, it didnt suprise me or my co-workers he supports obama even going against the votes of the union for Hillary . Burrus for the last several years has done what he wanted to do and not what the workers wanted and thats the reason why thousand of postal union workers are getting out of the union.

April 9, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Justin

Just enjoy your ride for now Barack, because it's coming to a screeching halt in November.

April 9, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. Michael

But wait, ever since Hillary was a little girl all see could remember being was a postman.

Hillary said " I remember sitting on my porch, it was a small porch cause those days, times were hard, we only had two houses then. There I would sit and wait for the postman. He would walk up the drive, give me a big smile. He would spend hours with me telling stories. Then one day as I waited, I noticed the sun starting to set as I looked west towards our neighbors house 4 acres away. As I sat, it dawned on me, he wasn't coming today. As I ran in the house, tears steaming down my face, calling for my dad, I saw my parents sitting by our upstairs fireplace with grief on thier faces. Thats the day they sat me down and broke the horrible news....we getting a P.O Box."

This story was brought to you by..

"Fairytales, you can make them up too"

April 9, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. Marine

Eliminate the influence of special interests in politics, HAH. Every candidate has been saying that for years but when they get elected they donot walk the walk.

April 9, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  11. christine

there goes another support for obama, change is so much needed now

April 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. Pam Washington

Iam so happy to see the postal workers backing Mr Obama. I think he's the right man for the job. I also think he really cares about the American people's. That is what we need, someone who really cares.
    Our economy is in such bad state right now, We really need someone who will bring our troops home. I love our troops they are fighting everyday for us and our country. I also have a young niece over there that has a husband that's also over there. They both have a young 2 year old son. May God bless and keep our soliders safe. Obama 08

April 9, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. suzy

Bob – I don't think that's why........

April 9, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. Jack in ND

I still want Obama to win, but there is a silver lining to Clinton getting the nomination.

She'll motivate Republicans like only a Clinton can to turnout in November, resulting in Republican gains in Congress...perhaps even a retaking of one or both chambers.

In a deadlocked Congress (and especially in a Republican controlled one)...Hillary won't be able to do anything.

April 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. CW4Barak

Yeah for Obama....nay for Billary!

Obama '08!