April 10th, 2008

Obama: I'd take a vow of silence if I could

Obama said Thursday he’d lay off the speeches for a while if he could.
Obama said Thursday he’d lay off the speeches for a while if he could.

LAFAYETTE, Indiana (CNN) – Democrat Barack Obama told an Indiana audience Thursday afternoon that he doesn't like hearing the sound of his own voice as much as some people might think.

After first mentioning that there was a time when presidential rival Hillary Clinton was "really hammering away" at him by saying he was more of a talker than a doer, the Illinois senator said, "She's not doing it as much now. I guess because it wasn't working."

But, said Obama, it's "not just because I like hearing myself talk."

"I promise you, after 15 months (on the trail so far) I would be happy to take a vow of silence and not say a word. I'd be happy just to sit in an office somewhere and solve all kinds of problems without ever having to give a speech."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. mike

This fellow will get my vote. why? he is really different. He is more rational than Hillary just by pondering his view on the Beijing Olympic. Hillary is full of politics by voicing boycott. Frankly, given what's at stake, I doubt her ability to lead. For God's sake, given our economy status now, could we handle the problem without the China's help? Please do not be naive about this.

April 11, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  2. Bernice

MR. PRESIDENT, I FOR ONCE LOOK FORWARD TO LISTENING TO THE STATE OF THE UNION SPEECH AS WELL AS ANY AND ALL PRESIDENTIAL SPEECHES YOU WILL DELIVER

GLAD TO BE RID OF THAT CHICK, YOU KNOW THE ONE THAT SOUNDS LIKE AN OWL WHEN SHE TALKS. SHE IS SUCH A THING OF THE PAST I CAN HARDLY REMEMBER HER NAME OH YEA H. ROTTEN CLINTON, SHE WAS MOST ANNOYING I WOULD RATHER READ THE REPORTS THAN LISTEN TO THE SOUND OF HER VOICE

THEY SAY IF YOU IGNORE A PESTY PERSON THEY WILL SOON GO AWAY!

April 11, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  3. mdude

why can't we just have obama, clinton and McCain in the white house.
    Can't we all get along? lol!

April 11, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  4. Kathy

Who is he really? A talker or a listener, while we need someone who walks the talk like Hillary.
    She doesn't have to comment on this anymore, because we all know it.

April 11, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  5. mike

We are still with you all the way no matter what it takes!

April 11, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  6. Anonymous

I would rather hear Obama than listen to his rival who lacks integrity, honesty, and dignity.

April 11, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  7. bsdhaliwal

Clinton haters can you stay on the message? This article (news) is for Obama. Democrats should thank Clintons for the their service to the democratic party. What ever the democratshave is because of them. Obama is not electable period.

If he keeps quite for next seven months, he will be doing great service to the democratic party.

Hillary 08 and 12

April 11, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  8. Tammie, Princeton NJ

Obama, should have taken a vow of silence a long time ago. Never to late to start so do it NOW.

April 11, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  9. KEN FROM MICHIGAN

I have always been a devoted Democrat past 35 years, but now I am really not sure. I have been reading or trying to read all the different blogs on the Cnn web site past couple of months, and the Dem. Party really makes me extremely sick. I cannot believe the VILE things that Obama Supporters say in the many different blogs - most sound like RANDY RODES on Air America. Also all the big boys in the Dem. Party telling Hillary to step down - who are they and where in the HELL do they get off telling someone to drop out. Also I am extremely disgusted with Cnn and MSNBC as they all are in the tank for Obama it makes me sick. Only one I will watch on CNN is Lou Dobbs - at least he is FAIR. It would just be really nice to hear someone on CNN or MSNBC say something nice or positive about Hillary. As I have stated - as an EX Obama Supporter this VERY, VERY TYPICAL WHITE PERSON will vote for McCain just so Obama does not win the General Election. Obama is sneaky, unAmerican and a complete Raciest. Here's to McCain in 08. The Dem. Party has completely destroyed my faith in them, and I as a TYPICAL WHITE PERSON do not want to have anything to do with the Dem. Party, and I know many people who feel the exact same way. EX. Dem. from Michigan

April 11, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  10. John Smith

After so many months of debates and special meetings wherein candidates TALK about their specific positions on a range of issues.

After all the postings of the specific positions of these candidates on their web pages,

Only Idiots keep asking candidates about positions on issues? My reading of this blog shows that this comes MORE from Hillary (uneducated supporters) than Obama's (educated) supporters.

I will continue to keep count!!!

April 11, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  11. Joseph in PA

I think someday, we will look back on Sen. Obama's speeches with the same affection as we do FDR or JFK. He is a gifted speaker, and very intelligent man, and so far, pretty honest and straightforward.

I was a Sen. Clinton supporter a year ago, but I intend to vote for and am working with the Obama campaign now. Sen. Clinton not only lost my vote, but more importantly, Obama has earned it. But I value them both for their service. I just think Sen. Obama has what we need right now: integrity and solid ideas on economics and foreign policy and a patriotism that tries to build bridges, not canyon's between Americans.

But, I do wonder how Australia manages to do countrywide elections in 6 weeks and we take nearly two years? Uggh.

April 11, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  12. Cherie

Why are all the Obama-bot voters just so mean and nasty? Could it be that they cant stand the fact the Obama might just lose???? Oh, but he brings inspiration....tell me...does he really have a plan? I know Hillary does..I've been to a rally and I've checked out her website...She not only has everything that she plans to do once she is in office but there are also pdf files actually telling how she will fund everything! Does Obama?
    No! Yea, he's got on there some ideas that are about 1 paragraph long! Have you ever noticed that when he's speaking at a rally he sounds so good but, when he's caught off guard he stumbles and stutters! See, all fluff and no substance...wake up people, stop living in his fantasy world!

Vote for real change~Hillary '08

April 11, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  13. Bob

It is time for Hillary to take the vow of silence after telling all the untrue stories . In addittion she lied too. If she speaks more it is not good for democratic party. The party has become so spinless with out a good leadership. Republicans are benifitted from all this infighting.

April 11, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  14. Mary in Oklahoma

It would be wonderful not to hear another word out of Senator Obama. I don't like to listen to boastful promises and out-right lies.
    And I don't believe you again when you say you would like to stay silent. You are only in this campaign for yourself, certainly not for the benefit of the average American family.

It is starting to seem as if the American people know you are only talk and not a candidate with intergity, judgement and experience to solve our problems.

April 11, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  15. Brian from Iowa

The plain truth of the matter is neither Obama or Clinton will win! Clinton won't get 25% of those who support Obama and Obama won't get 33% of those that support Clinton...all this means is that McCain will win, unless something drastic happens!! But my fear is McCain will follow Gates and state he is up for phased withdrawal from Iraq (which would be good in of itself) and the economy would get better by November (which will probably happen, and is good also)...which will make McCain our President with deeply divided Democratic electorate!!

April 11, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  16. Chidi

Some people simply hate for the sake of it. Obama makes speeches that are worth listening to, and his policy statements are there for all to see. Just go to Obama.com, and you can get it all. For those of you suggesting that he step down for Hillary, you definitely have to be out of your minds. America and the world are about to change for the better with President Obama. Go Obama, 08!!!

April 11, 2008 02:09 am at 2:09 am |