April 10th, 2008

Obama levels new attacks on McCain

Obama criticized McCain's new mortgage relief plan Thursday.
Obama criticized McCain's new mortgage relief plan Thursday.

GARY, Indiana (CNN) - Barack Obama had strong words for Republican John McCain's economic speech Thursday, saying the Arizona senator's plan to assist homeowners doesn't include "any real answers" to the housing crisis.

Speaking to an audience in Gary, Indiana, Obama said, "I'm glad he finally offered a plan. Better late than never."

"Don't expect it to actually help struggling families," he continued. "Because Senator McCain's solution to the housing crisis seems like a lot like George Bush's solution to the housing crisis, which is to sit by and hope it passes by while families are facing foreclosure and watching their home values decline."

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds was quick to respond.

"Unlike Senator Obama, John McCain doesn't believe that writing checks with other people's money is the solution to every problem," Bounds said. "He has produced thoughtful, near-term solutions that provide a bridge to a stronger economy that replaces workers' fears of losing a job with a pathway to opportunity and prosperity for their families."

Later while taking questions from the audience, Obama was asked if he would withdraw any remaining U.S. troops from countries other than Iraq in order to spend the money in better ways.

Obama used this question to further attack McCain, this time for saying he would be willing to keep a U.S. presence in Iraq for a 100 years as long as forces weren't being killed. Obama has said he would not put any permanent bases in Iraq.

Obama said of McCain mockingly, "When I criticized him he said, 'Wait, wait, wait. That's not fair. Don't criticize me. I didn't say I wanted war for 100 years. I said if US troops weren't being injured or killed we could have them there for 100 years, just like in Korea.'"

"Understand, that would cost us a trillion dollars or more," Obama continued. "That means investments that we are not making here in the United States. And so he doesn't even take into account the costs that are involved as well as the message that is sent around the Middle East if we have permanent bases there."

Earlier in his speech, Obama touched on President Bush's comments that he plans to halt current troop pullouts.

"This war should be coming to an end. But President Bush announced today that he was going to put a pause on the withdrawal."

"It's estimated that we will have at least 140,000 troops there until the end of the year. In other words, there is no end in sight under the Bush policy. If that isn't enough for you to want change, I don't know what is."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Marie in California

What??? Obama claims to actually have an "idea?" I'm amazed!

No Obamination in the presidency.....ever!

Hillary or McCain – 2008

April 10, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  2. MC

Heaven help us if another Republican takes possession of the White House! We have had 8 years of total decline.
    Obama is the answer for all who truly love this country and want equality.

April 10, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  3. Eric

I love it!

One poll shows Hillary doing better than Obama and all of a sudden Hillary supporters are paying attention to polls.

If you look at ALL of the polls it is very clear that Hillary should have dropped out after March 4th.

That is the truth. Those are the facts.

When do I get to start donating to Obama's General Election fund?

I can't wait!

Obama '08!

April 10, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  4. loyalty

After the way the democratic party treated its loyal base...denying the vote to lifelong democrats- don't expect any loyalty come Nov.

My loyalty is to my country, my ideals and to the candidate I believe to be the best for this country.

That is NOT Obama.

April 10, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. JSmith

This is for all the Clintonistas to think about:

Why has Hillary Clinton stood by her husband even when her husband was found philandering?

Hillary Clinton is nobody, if you take away her last name. The only great act of judgement she ever did was catch hold of Bill and marry him. Hillary Clinton became a senator because she was a CLINTON.

If you remove your blinkers and see Hillary without the name Clinton attached to her, she is but a very ordinary woman. She speaks in cliches. She has nothing new in her reportaire of policies. All those policies of hers are run of the mill left of the center policies. To be fair Obama is also like that.

But Hillary Clinton cannot be a leader. She could well end be a good manager but never a leader who can inspire a vision for a bunch of people let alone a nation.

The way she has handled her campaign is proof positive how she will mess up being a president. I for one do not want an easily irritable person as my president. I dont want a president who will cackle on being asked a tough question.

Hillary Clinton is none but a run of a mill politician who has only 7 years of experience as an elected representative. She got elected simply because she was a Clinton. For 8 years in white house she served as a cheerleader to Bill, as a feel good factor for American public to maintain illusions of the virtues of a good family.

Hillary Clintons experience as a first lady, as sniper gate showed us, is all hat but no beef.

And Clintonistas have the gall to call us sexist. Nancy Pelosi would have made a far better president than Hillary Clinton.

April 10, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  6. Nebyu

did you know that we Americans ashamed of saying 'I am an American' when we travel abroad, because of stupid white house politics???
    did you know Obama already changed the Image of America all over the world???? don't tell me cowboy history on the 21st century ..... the 21st century Americans are coming to white house with Barak Obama!!!!!

April 10, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. serena1313

Threatening to vote for McCain if Hillary does not win is foolish.

How many of you are actually republicans trying to convince others to believe Hillary is the best one to go up against McCain. Republicans want Hillary to run. They have been preparing for this for two years.

Look whomever wins the democratic nomination - Hillary or Obama will be trashed by the republicans.

If we do not want another 4 years - a 3rd term Bush only on steroids - we need to unite and stop this petty bickering.

Obama is my choice and Iam solidly behind him. I will vote for Hillary if she wins - although the math is not in her favour.

I can only hope the posters on this site will think again about what you believe is best for the country. If you want McCain because of his "experience" - well, think about Cheney & Rumsfeld's decades of experience and look where we are today because of their so called "experience."

I choose judgment over experience. I choose intelligence over ideology.

I chose Obama because he has both: intelligence and judgment.

Those whom say otherwise have not been paying attention.

Voting for McCain is voting for more of the same. He is not the pragmatic moderate as he and the traditional press portray him to be.

April 10, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. loyalty

This windbag is all played out.

Nov is what counts.

The disenfranchised will never vote for a charismatic leader who can inspire the youth to such hatred as we've seen in this primary season.

Germany and Italy were in the same place in the 1930s- a once great power reduced to financial ruin- as the USA is today.

They fell for the inspirational charismatic leader who reached the youth with his message of change. Yep... we all know where that led.

April 10, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  9. MC

Heaven help us if another Republican takes hold of the White House. We will be doomed for 4 more years. I say 8 years of mistakes is more than enough!!

GO OBAMA08!

April 10, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  10. 1930s

USA today= Europe in the 1930s
    disillusioned
    demoralized
    once great power
    on the brink of finacial ruin

Out came the charismatic leaders who rallied and inspired the youth with promises of change and a return to glory.

Sound familiar? Just like Obama.

And we all have read the Hatred the Obama supporters spew.

How can good come of all this hate?

In Nov- anybody but Obama

April 10, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  11. Tired Of IGNORANT PEOPLE

I AM JUST SICK AND TIRED OG IGNORANT PEOPLE NOT SEEING PAST THEIR FEARS AND DIVISIONS...IT IS JUST STUPID, ARE YOU KIDDING ME! THE FACT IS ALL THESE COMMENTS THAT ARE ANTI OBAMA ARE SO EMPTY...LET'S STATE FACTS OBAMA DOESN'T NEED TO COPY FROM THAT LIAR CLINTON, SO PLZ SPARE ME THE IGNORANCE IT IS CLINTON WHO IS MORE IN A MESS AND WOULD LIE ABOUT MORE THINGS!!!!THINK ABOUT NAFTA PEOPLE!!!!CLINTON WILL SAY WHAT IT TAKES TO GET ELECTED AND WE WILL ALL SUFFER IF SHE AND BILL IS BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE, WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN.MCCAIN POLICIES WILL SINK OUR ECONOMY SO FAR THAT WE WILL BE 2ND WORLD COUNTRY!!!!!PLZZZ STOP BEING SO RIDICULOUSLY IGNORANT!!! I HAVE WATCHED THIS RACE AND MY MIND IS MADE UP OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT AND LETS GET BACK TO WORK IN REBUILDING A SHATTERED ECONOMY!!!!!!NO SPACE FOR IGNORANT CLOSED MINDED DIVISIVE PEOPLE

April 10, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  12. Bridgette

It is time for Democrats to come together. Let stop all of this bickering. If Obama is the nominee we should support him and if it is Hilary then we should support her. Let's stop this foolishness if my candidate is not the winner then I will just vote for the enemy.

April 10, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  13. Debby

Obviously McCain's better late than never is working he is ahead of Obama in the general and Hillary is ahead of both of them.

April 10, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  14. Shalinka florida

I can not vote for Obama because I am afraid of what he will do to our country. Our country is in a terrible mess with high unemployment, high foreclosure rates, a war in Iraq that costs us US citizens $5000 per second. I like senator Obama I think he is one fine looking, talking man. I just think he needs to get some experience then come back in the next election and try again. Oh yeah, and while he is being the Senator of Illinois he needs to attend some work days and vote for what he believes in so us folks can see what he is made of.
    Clinton 08

April 10, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  15. attack

Yep... the new politician...

play the race card

disrespect the grandmother who nurtured and raised you

Bully your way to a slight lead

Attack, attack, attack

Not my kind of change.

April 10, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  16. kevin

let's make obama our savior and then allow us to fall into despair. Remember, a politician is not our salvation. Obama's plan is as shallow as McCain, and yet both sides think they are great. What a funny, funny sitation.

April 10, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  17. "50ish" white Joe from Pa.

Update from the Great State of Pennsylvania – Obama is closing the gap, and remarks like these further are showing Pennsylvanians:
    1) this man's charisma
    2) his ability to see problems as complex that can't be fixed by simple "canned" solutions
    3) that he is the antithesis of the "decisive", shoot policy from the hip current present we have, who:
    1) has made my life worse off in 8 years
    2) costed the US billions upon billions on an un-needed war, thousands of US lives, and just as importantly tens of thousands of lives of decent Iraqi people, while managing to greatly destabilize the region.
    Barrack is a highly intelligent man, who happens to be half black, who has the potential to lead our nation, not manage it. He is the most refreshing political candidate since Bobby Kennedy, and somewhere, Lincoln is smiling, because if we are lucky, this is the next Abe. Go Obama 08.

April 10, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  18. Now for Obama

Hillary should learn from Obama. Attack your opponent (Rep) not your fellow Democrat. But I forgot that she is purposely trying to divide us all.

Do you hate America that much Hillary?

April 10, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  19. Now for Obama

I live in Dallas, TX and there are countless amounts of different Anti-Hillary groups. Many have previously voted for her, but know they detest her. People really don't trust her around here. Thousands of people have switched to Obama. If she gets the Democratic nomination or even is on the ticket or has even a cabinet position in the White House, then I don't know anyone who would vote Dem in the Fall.

April 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  20. obama is a liar

Sure Obama speaks in words I can understand. So do the other candidates. What's different is that the other candidates give us ideas on their plans on how to fix the mess America is in right now. Oborme hasn't said how he will fix it. Just that there is alot to be fixed. Well duh. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
    As usual he sits and waits to see what everyone else proposes then waits for the people who are really running his campaign to tell him what to say.
    Like that old lady used to ask.... where's the beef? He's an empty suit.
    And no he hasn't answered why he lied about Rezko, Wright, his college days.. he hid out on an island . Typical politics.
    Just keep voting present.

April 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |