April 10th, 2008

Obama levels new attacks on McCain

Obama criticized McCain's new mortgage relief plan Thursday.
Obama criticized McCain's new mortgage relief plan Thursday.

GARY, Indiana (CNN) - Barack Obama had strong words for Republican John McCain's economic speech Thursday, saying the Arizona senator's plan to assist homeowners doesn't include "any real answers" to the housing crisis.

Speaking to an audience in Gary, Indiana, Obama said, "I'm glad he finally offered a plan. Better late than never."

"Don't expect it to actually help struggling families," he continued. "Because Senator McCain's solution to the housing crisis seems like a lot like George Bush's solution to the housing crisis, which is to sit by and hope it passes by while families are facing foreclosure and watching their home values decline."

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds was quick to respond.

"Unlike Senator Obama, John McCain doesn't believe that writing checks with other people's money is the solution to every problem," Bounds said. "He has produced thoughtful, near-term solutions that provide a bridge to a stronger economy that replaces workers' fears of losing a job with a pathway to opportunity and prosperity for their families."

Later while taking questions from the audience, Obama was asked if he would withdraw any remaining U.S. troops from countries other than Iraq in order to spend the money in better ways.

Obama used this question to further attack McCain, this time for saying he would be willing to keep a U.S. presence in Iraq for a 100 years as long as forces weren't being killed. Obama has said he would not put any permanent bases in Iraq.

Obama said of McCain mockingly, "When I criticized him he said, 'Wait, wait, wait. That's not fair. Don't criticize me. I didn't say I wanted war for 100 years. I said if US troops weren't being injured or killed we could have them there for 100 years, just like in Korea.'"

"Understand, that would cost us a trillion dollars or more," Obama continued. "That means investments that we are not making here in the United States. And so he doesn't even take into account the costs that are involved as well as the message that is sent around the Middle East if we have permanent bases there."

Earlier in his speech, Obama touched on President Bush's comments that he plans to halt current troop pullouts.

"This war should be coming to an end. But President Bush announced today that he was going to put a pause on the withdrawal."

"It's estimated that we will have at least 140,000 troops there until the end of the year. In other words, there is no end in sight under the Bush policy. If that isn't enough for you to want change, I don't know what is."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. phillykat

Yeah It's time to start on the McDrain campaign 'cause it's done with Hillary.
    "08AMA

April 10, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. Christi

Republicans do not deserve the Whitehouse. Their actions have proven they don't care about the average American. They believe in "big business" and everyone else is "on their own".

April 10, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. AJ

Obama can level all the attacks he wants. He can't win. He can't win FL, OH, PA and MI is doubtful. Without those states and the Clinton supporters like me who will support McCain if Obama is the nominee – he cant win! We will do what we have to do in order to defeat him. He is a disaster waiting to happen.

If not Clinton then McCain in '08

April 10, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  4. Enrique, Chicago

McCain=Bush

April 10, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. Mike

Absolutely right. Perhaps Obama can have his friend Rezo bail us out like he did Obama.

April 10, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. Jose'

Obama has no room to talk. He doesn't know anything about anything.

Democrat dirty tricks being played again!

We need a Republican in the White House if we are going to save this country!!

April 10, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  7. judy

GO, McCAIN! I'm going to vote for you if Hillary does not become the Democratic nominee. GO, HILLARY! GO, McCAIN!

April 10, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  8. Charles

He is correct yes. I kind of wish he answered the question though. Why do we have troops in Germany and Japan after all these years? Seems like the money could be better spent...

April 10, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  9. james

Obama will beat Mcbush by a landslide.

April 10, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  10. truth be told

Barb, go vote for PM Harper or Dion and leave Obama alone....

Feminist!

April 10, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  11. Dems be dopes

I can't afford my credit card bills or the payment on my SUV and wide screen TV.

Mr. Obama, can you bail me out of those also?

April 10, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. L. Jean Revis

McCain is delusional just like the entire Bush administration. What is going to happen to America? If things don't change for the average American citizen then America's own citizens of every race will revolt and it will not be pretty......

April 10, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  13. Mary

Sorry but there's no way in hell I will ever vote for Hillary.
    I will vote for the person best suited for the job and that is Obama.

April 10, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  14. cala

Right on Obama, McSame want to inherent Bush's policy. McCain has no solution of his own but to follow the disastrous policies of bush that lead us to war and this economic chaos.

April 10, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. Jan

I am a hard-working nurse and I want my income to pay for me and my family–not someone who refuses to work and already gets free health care–and I dont mean the disabled–I am referring to lazy people who want a free ride–McCain-2008

April 10, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  16. Kim

Obama has a plan for our ailing economy. Hillary has... a speech she gave in PA last month. McCain has, NOT A CLUE!

April 10, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  17. Edgar

Obama is who will unite this country and make us a leader in the world again. Hillary is trying to lie herself to the end and hope American people can fall for it. I mean comon now lie after lie,etc.

Bosnia, The hospital story, his advisor, and many more that are not even talked about.

For McCain he has no idea what his talking about. He has to learn basic economics before he gives a plan about our economy. His a hero but thats where it ends. His going to continue this war mentality and fear among people to become president.

Clinton should stop and support Obama and not make the party a mess.

April 10, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  18. gary

O.B. has no room to attack anyone. He is the most un qualified, arrogant, hypocritical canidate I have ever seen. He has only brought one CHANGE ,that is his O.B. supporters ,who are the worst haters and young childless little people I have ever seen.He has divided this country ,and brought more hate than I have ever seen and a race.HRC is the only canidate that is qualified and cares for our country.O.B. would be better to go back to his country Kenya.His smooth speeches and big changes ,have twisted our young people.

April 10, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. get real

To all you Obama supporters..... I know it is your first time to vote and all, but remember, we live in America and ALL AMERICANS HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE.

If all the surrogates and little Obamabots keep calling for Hillary to leave the race, their going to keep pushing Hillary supporters to McCain.

Honestly... You all keep saying how Obama is a candidate for change and running a new kind of campain. Bull Crap... He is just a little chicken who uses every body else to do his dirty work. Then, when things get tough, he and his pastor go on vacation. Sounds a little like George Bush, Jr. Oh, another thing he has in common with Bush is NO EXPERIENCE.

Hillary 08 or McCain, but no Obama!

April 10, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  20. Cat, Costa Mesa, CA

Obama opens his mouth and it becomes more and more evident...he just doesn't get it. Why won't he confront the issue of WHO really pays for these mortgage bail out?? Will it be China, or the US Taxpayer?

Answer my question Obama.

April 10, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  21. Cathy

Obama is always late with his plans also.He has to see HILLARY'S first to see how it goes and then he comes out with the same plan and takes credit for it.WAKE UP AMERICA.

April 10, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  22. Independent Now for Integrity and humility in Politics = Obama

Hey everyone,

I think Independents like myself and republicans should make a smart decision this election. We cannot deny any longer that the Iraq war is worth fighting. I'm all for fiscal conservatism and Mcain is one but the urgency to the end war in Iraq trumps any opinions I share with Mcain. We independents and republicans should suck it up this election and vote for the likely Dem. nominee. Ending this war is the single most important issue that will have a profound impact on a multitude of issues, including the economy.

April 10, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. Steve

Why attack McCain Obama, you won anything yet?

April 10, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  24. It's not McCains fault if your losing your home

This country cannot afford to continue borrowing money from China to pay for short term fixes that won't really fix anything. We are operating like a third world country's economy now and the more we continue to spend, the closer we will get to being one. It's a shame the Republicans did not keep their promises on spending, because in truth thats really what this economy needs. To stop spending money we don't have, personally and as a country.

April 10, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  25. ABG

Has Obama come up with one plan that he has not copied from Clinton?

Obama has no accomplishments to list in his days in the Illinois legislature or in the US Senate, except for his "mis-statement" about his nuclear plant bill that went nowhere.

Obama plays it safe. Offend no one and wait to see what others think before taking a stand. Anyone can do that.

America deserves better than that!

April 10, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |