April 10th, 2008

Obama levels new attacks on McCain

Obama criticized McCain's new mortgage relief plan Thursday.
Obama criticized McCain's new mortgage relief plan Thursday.

GARY, Indiana (CNN) - Barack Obama had strong words for Republican John McCain's economic speech Thursday, saying the Arizona senator's plan to assist homeowners doesn't include "any real answers" to the housing crisis.

Speaking to an audience in Gary, Indiana, Obama said, "I'm glad he finally offered a plan. Better late than never."

"Don't expect it to actually help struggling families," he continued. "Because Senator McCain's solution to the housing crisis seems like a lot like George Bush's solution to the housing crisis, which is to sit by and hope it passes by while families are facing foreclosure and watching their home values decline."

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds was quick to respond.

"Unlike Senator Obama, John McCain doesn't believe that writing checks with other people's money is the solution to every problem," Bounds said. "He has produced thoughtful, near-term solutions that provide a bridge to a stronger economy that replaces workers' fears of losing a job with a pathway to opportunity and prosperity for their families."

Later while taking questions from the audience, Obama was asked if he would withdraw any remaining U.S. troops from countries other than Iraq in order to spend the money in better ways.

Obama used this question to further attack McCain, this time for saying he would be willing to keep a U.S. presence in Iraq for a 100 years as long as forces weren't being killed. Obama has said he would not put any permanent bases in Iraq.

Obama said of McCain mockingly, "When I criticized him he said, 'Wait, wait, wait. That's not fair. Don't criticize me. I didn't say I wanted war for 100 years. I said if US troops weren't being injured or killed we could have them there for 100 years, just like in Korea.'"

"Understand, that would cost us a trillion dollars or more," Obama continued. "That means investments that we are not making here in the United States. And so he doesn't even take into account the costs that are involved as well as the message that is sent around the Middle East if we have permanent bases there."

Earlier in his speech, Obama touched on President Bush's comments that he plans to halt current troop pullouts.

"This war should be coming to an end. But President Bush announced today that he was going to put a pause on the withdrawal."

"It's estimated that we will have at least 140,000 troops there until the end of the year. In other words, there is no end in sight under the Bush policy. If that isn't enough for you to want change, I don't know what is."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Philly Kid

Then JULIE, you would have failed your party and the people who most share your values. Obama who I could care less about is far closer to Hillary than McCain will ever be so he gets my vote in the end. Wake up sweetie, it's not just about you.

April 10, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  2. Nina

CNN,

I'm sure you won't post this but as an independent since you can post what you want from my comment.. I hope making me look like I was bashing one canidate and not talking about all of them in my comment was worth it because you will lose me as a follower of your news online!! You are a pathetic excuse for blogging. Nothing in my comments were bad. I expressed my view on all canidates and for you to post one line out of contest is wrong. You are not my homepage anymore nor will I follow the news on line with you anymore.

April 10, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  3. Keefer

Why would anyone that has half a brain vote for an African-American – how about an American!

NoBama talks about Change – how much Change does the best country in the World need!

April 10, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  4. Geof

Hey CNN.. I checked ALL POLLS for today April 10- they all show Obama ahead of McCain and McCain ahead of Clinton . There is no such AP poll that you have on your web suggesting that Clinton is ahead... ?!! Please correct your mistake, or tell us the truth that it was sent to you by Clinton camp..You have to be very careful with such numbers.. because ALL POOLS are available online and it's easy to compare with 'what 'you are using... Thanks,

Geof

April 10, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  5. Philly Kid

"Obama the great deceiver" What? you live in box mate?

April 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  6. Shelley

Those polls are so inaccurate. I can't imagine a single Democrat voting for McCain no matter who the Democratic nominee is.
    Those numbers are fale fale false!!!!!

April 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. R.I.F.

Nina,

Obama sat down with the Chicago Tribune and gave a very detailed interview about Rezko and has also talked about Wright on a number of occasions. Some of you really need to take time to read and research for yourself and stop listening to Fox.

April 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  8. GrannyRyan53

McCain is clueless on the economy. I cannot wait until McCain has to debate Obama. He will surely loose his temperand show how he is too far past his prime to make any real change.
    Go Obama!!!!

April 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  9. Anthony Hunter

Obama is the clear choice... especially over John Mc-Bush!

April 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  10. Philly Kid

Mike do me a favor and chill out with the arrogance bit. Obama takes a stance and calls his opponent out and all you see is arrogance? Are you O.K?

April 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  11. Marva, SC

I'm an Obama supporter and will vote for him in November, but I think Hillary is going to win PA. Yes the polls are getting closer, but don't count your chickens... She will win, but then he will win North Carolina, and hopefully Indiana.

I just know PA is going to be tough. Now trust me, if he wins I'll be the first one screaming and jumping up and down. But we have two weeks to go, and Hillary hasn't thrown the PA kitchen sink yet. Look for more comments about Barack's pastor, and some new dirt. After all this is PA and Clinton must win. Her henchmen are digging up things as we speak, probably racial. Be strong Obama supporters, you know it's coming, especially since Hillary has no scruples, or morals, or decency.

We can take her.

Obama 08

April 10, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  12. Jodie

Why are we in Iraq? I thought we went to remove Saddam Insane from power. Didn't we already accomplish that? Now we have a bigger mess that we think we can clean up. How long have Sunni and Shiite malitias been fighting? Oh for only about 7000 years. Are you kidding me? We think we can end it in 7? Whatever!!! It is not going to happen. We think we can build pride and patriotism into a people who do not even like us. What kind of a dream world are we living in? McCain does not even know the difference between Sunnis and Shiites. How can he even begin to understand the thousands of years of hate that has gone on between these groups? It is time to leave Iraq and let the people who live there live their own lives. We need to focus on our real enemy in Afganistan. As an America citizen, I do not believe Iraq is a good investment. We need to allow Iran to help stabilize the country, and Barack Obama will work to do just that. Because I guarantee the war will not end otherwise.

April 10, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  13. California girl

Only Hillary can beat McCain in the general election. The republicans will fight tooth and nail with Obama and swift boat him. The Republicans are afraid of Hillary because they know she can win.

Smart Dems will vote for Hillary.

April 10, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  14. Randy - Denver

Julie it is not egotism when it is true, the simple fact is unless Ms. Clinton wins ALL remaining states with better than a 60-40 split AND no more than 100 of the remianing superdelegates (a little over 400) go for Mr. Obama she will lose and he will have sufficient numbers to win.. the math is simple it is Ms. Clinton who is so egotistical that she cannot see that and the Clinton News Network who are trying to make everyone believe this is a close race so they can pump up their ratings.. sorry but these are the facts, check it out even CNN has a delegate counter program that will show it to you.

April 10, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. NickNas

Ask yourselves this....

Why when the government gives Billion Dollar Companies you tax dollars is it GOOD for the economy and great Government.

BUT

Give a few bucks to TAXPAYERS so they can stay afloat long enough to KEEP PAYING TAXS it is Welfare????

April 10, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. Willy

Here come the liberals. All slander and no facts. Some of you do like that liberal sour grapes Kool-Aid....

April 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. Barry, Boise

Elisabeth,

There are lots of people with common sense in jail. Hillary is not special because she has common sense. All the candidates do. Barack connects with people and that goes a long way.

No, Hillary should go home, count her millions and leave the rest of us alone.

April 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Concerned Florida Voter

I am confused. CNN is so busy filing stories about Obama's job at an ice cream parlor and his vibrating phone that they forgot to tell us what Obama's plan is for the housing crisis. I only remember hearing Hillary talk about. a plan. Obama's criticisms are paper-thin when it comes to McCain. Obama is a Marxist when he comes to the common man, but an oligarch when it comes to his own private ambitions. In fact, all the candidates are oligarchs. Let the best oligarch win!

April 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  19. Myke of Maryland

Obama = Modern Day MLK!!!!!!!!!!!

The O in 08!!!!!!!

April 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. Cat, Costa Mesa, CA

People claim that the money used to bail out the irresponsible "homeowners" will not come from the taxpayers but from the $500 Billion we save from tha war in iraq..

NEWSFLASH!!! Who's paying for that?!?! The government in itself has NO money, only what it takes from it's citizens. So whether you spend it in Iraq or to those who should have never even been allowed in a bank in the first place, it's all coming from the same source!

April 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. Lets get ready

Okay, Republicans you have been playing the Democrats for weeks. The time has come and the rest of the world is ready for the Dems to remove the Republicans from the White House.

April 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. Grif

The USA will always be at War! It's a Super Power, that's how it got that way... The only way you keep what you have, is if you fight for it.

Borack Obama is a Wimp. That's why he Freeloads in the USA.
    He's never fought for any Country in his life. Leader??
    No just a Bleeder....

April 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  23. james

what a sad day for the grand ole USA when all we have is a old fart done past his prime a smooth talkin black guy that hasn't done crap to speak of and Bill's wife. we are in for 1 bumpy ride for years to come after retard leaves office. As Americans we deserve to have someone in charge that is truly for the People, but that will never be...I say Vote for none of the above........

April 10, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  24. Myke of Maryland

McCain is an elderly man with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Do we really need this running the country at such a sensitive time in history?

I say NO!!!!!

April 10, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  25. ron

Yes we can! Obama can screw up this country more than it is
    Change we can believe in! Of course for white people since he will consult with Wright as to what to do with you "typical white people".

Obama = bigger governement, bigger affirmative action laws, drivers licence to illegal immigrants, withdrawl of our troops regardless of the concequence.

Obama = Wright = Ayers = Farrakahn = Michele Obama