April 10th, 2008

Poll suggests McCain-Rice ticket could win big

A McCain-Rice ticket could carry New York, a new poll says.
A McCain-Rice ticket could carry New York, a new poll says.

(CNN) – Condoleezza Rice has said she has no desire to be John McCain's running mate, but a new poll out Wednesday suggests that duo could beat the Democratic ticket in the bluest of states.

In a new poll conducted by Marist College and WNBC, a McCain-Rice ticket would beat a ticket that includes both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in New York - a state that reliably votes for the Democratic candidate. (In 2004, John Kerry beat President Bush there by nearly 20 points. In 2000, the margin between Al Gore and Bush was an even higher 25 points.)

But should McCain and Rice team up, the poll suggests the two Republicans would carry New York, defeating a Clinton-Obama ticket by 3 points (49-46 percent) and an Obama-Clinton ticket by 5 points (49-44 percent.)

The poll comes days after a leading Republican strategist suggested Rice, contrary to her own public statements, is engaging in a behind-the-scenes campaign to land a spot on McCain's ticket. Former Bush administration official Dan Senor made the suggestion on ABC Sunday, noting Rice's recent appearance at the weekly meeting of Americans for Tax Reform - a leading organization of Republican insiders - as evidence she is attempting to cozy up to the conservative elite.

That suggestion immediately had Beltway insiders speculating on the potential advantages Rice would deliver, especially in light of the fact the Democratic presidential ticket will either feature a woman or an African-American for the first time in American history.

Rice herself attempted to put the speculation to rest Tuesday, saying, "I very much look forward to watching this campaign and voting as a voter - I have a lot of work to do and then I'll happily go back to Stanford."

But with polls like this, it's likely some Republicans hope she reconsiders.

Watch: The Best Political Team ponders a McCain-Rice ticket

Filed under: Condoleezza Rice • John McCain
  1. Dave from SC

Sorry folks. Don't believe the hipe. wrong *ex, wrong rac*. McCain is old school. He olny believes in the, "Good old boy club."

April 9, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  2. MediaJunkie, Arlington, VA

Thanks for including the poll's margin of error. You guys must be dying for April 22 so you can stop running these dopey poll numbers.

April 9, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  3. NickNas

As soon as I heard this woman say that BUSH WAS ONE OF THE MOST INTELLIGENT PEOPLE SHE HAS EVER MET I Knew she was slightly off. If he runs with McSame I will convinced she is FULLY off.

April 9, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  4. franny

These polls mean nothing!!! Kerry was ahead of Bush by 17 points coming out of the primary and we all know what happened when a very fast and swift boat hit him. Only time will tell what happens to McCain and his Bush like ideas, once voters get to hear him and realize he is more of the same.

April 9, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  5. Deacon John M. Bresnahan

I'm not surprised at the poll. People I least expected would like a McCain -Rice ticket seem to love the idea. Maybe that is why so many liberals in the media and on-line are responding with what has become their usual foul-mouthed insulting vituperation when confronted with a suggestion they don't like.

April 9, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. Alex

As a New Yorker, I'm extremely doubtful about the validity of this poll. That CNN doesn't link to the poll itself seems fishy to me, also. If anything Rice would hurt McCain's chances in New York due to her direct involvement in the Bush administration.

April 9, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  7. CR

I don't think C Rice would add anything to a McCain ticket. And she has failed in her current job, so why would he want her.

April 9, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. Debbie

Yarn.

Has the Democratic party started? I'm bored.

April 9, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  9. Nanc, MN

Will someone please tell me how many times this woman has to say no before the pollsters will believe her? Enough already!

April 9, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. tom

maybe two wrong do make a right (pun intended)

April 9, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  11. Allen from Visalia

Do it Johnny do it! Please do it so that you will lose the redneck vote that makes up the base of the Republican party!

April 9, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  12. Michael W

What world are you living in? You realize they are both tied to the most unpopular war since Vietnam. This team would do more to ensure a Democrat gets the White House than any possible scandal of the Democrat front runners could. What voting block would Rice's addition to the ticket appeal to? I have though about this a lot and believe MaCain's best choice would be a Southener with impecable credentials someone like a Sam Nunn or even Jebb Bush. Anyway, it will be near impossible to overcome the enthusiasm of the Obama crowd which is appealing not only to the young and literate but also to middle of the road Republicans like myself.

April 9, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. Max

So an Iraq war failure sundae (McCain) is not good enough, but when you top it with an Iraq war failure cherry (Rice), it's now suddenly a tasty treat? Do we really need more of the same bad thing?

April 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. Rob

MCCAIN FOR PRESIDENT! If he can win by having Rice as his running mate I'm all for it. I really want Hillary Clinton to be our next president. But if it is between obama and McCain I'm all for McCain.

Hillary Clinton or John McCain for president!

April 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. Steven, NH

Caption:

Thank you Condi, I could use a nursemaid. Now my medication is over by the window.

April 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  16. Jack

Rice is unquestionably the leading candidate to be on the ticket and what we're seeing is the test-run in the press, which is obviously turning out to be a cakewalk. Despite that she may be the least intellectually-curious, and therefore most dangerous Secretary of State in history, she's articulate and highly skilled at precisely the kind of hatemongering nastiness that sells big to American voters. McCain-Rice is a knockout ticket, and one that will ensure the Republicans keep the White House. Take it to the bank.

April 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  17. David

Perfect....a Bush "act-alike" plus a Bush "enforcer"....have the American people learned nothing? What they haven't taken away in the past eight years they can finish in the next term. Truely, America is done. We have seen the enemy...and yes...it is us. Our enemies HAVE to be encouraged by our level of ignorance.

April 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. mike

She can't reconsider – she already said she wasn't interested. Of course she could have been lying – that's totally in keeping with her past under Bush.

April 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  19. David from SC

Why is it that no one ever asks why Clinton's (ex) campaign manager Mark Penn and McCain's current campaign manager Charles Black work for the same lobbyist firm (BKCH)? Furthermore, Penn is Black's boss. Isn't this conflict of interest? It also explains why both Clintons can make the satement that Obama was not Presidential material, while Clinton and McCain were. huuumm.

April 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  20. willard

No one wants four more years of Republican mismanagement. I have been a Republican all my life but would not vote Republican this time. They have truly ruined our economy and have put our children so far in debt that I don't think they will ever dig their way out. McCain stands for more of the same and Condoleza was one of the purveyors of deceit that has led to our present situation in Iraq.

April 9, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. Wise Dem.

To Tell the truth,

I could not agree with you more.

All those Hillary and Obama supporters who will vote for Mccain if their candidate is not the nominee are a joke.

They are either not true democrats or just plain ignorant.

April 9, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  22. Grif

Then why not set the Date???? It's never too Late...
    Quite a Partnership. What?

April 9, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. Bruce, Chicago

I love how everyone thinks Obama will destroy McCain in November because of the upcoming debates. You do not need to be a great speaker/debater to win an election. Hello? W? And besides, I'm not sure what debates you have all been watching but Obama is not a good debater. He is a great speaker, but Hillary did much better in the debates. All Obama has is orator skills, he's not ready.

April 9, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. Joe

The beauty contest polls mean absolutely nothing! Everything that I've seen says that the American people are sick and tired of anything and everything related to George W. Bush. With all the pictures of Condi, W, Cheney, and Rove that are out there, I think putting Rice on a McCain ticket would be like throwing a drowning man a cement block. As someone who can't wait to see "regime change" here in the U.S., I wholeheartedly support a McCain/Rice ticket. It would clearly ensure a Democratic victory in November (which will likely happen anyway).

April 9, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  25. Tom,des moines

McCain/Rice is a disaster. I would vote for McCain/Romney. if Hillary is not the nominee. Hussein Obama is not ready to be the commander in chief,maybe another 18 yrs on the job training. Hillary has the experience,knowledge and know how to get the job done in washington. Hillary/Edward 08!

April 9, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |