April 11th, 2008

Clinton laughs off Colombia questions

CNN

Watch Clinton laugh off a question on Colombia.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Hillary Clinton used her trademark laugh Thursday to deflect a question about the $800,000 her husband earned in 2005 giving speeches for a Bogota-based group that supports the Colombia free trade agreement - the same trade deal she currently opposes.

Asked by CNN if those earnings represented a conflict of interest given that she has dipped into her family's pocketbook to pay campaign bills, Clinton threw up her hands and laughed loudly for several seconds.

"How many angels dance on the head of the pin?," she responded, continuing to giggle. "I have really, uh, nothing to ... I mean, how do you answer that?"

The New York senator explained there are different sides to the argument over trade, and re-emphasized her own opposition to the trade deal, assailing the Colombian government's "outrageous" record of "targeting labor leaders."

"I am against the Colombia free trade deal," she said. "It doesn't matter who talks to me. It doesn't matter any circumstances. I have been against it. I am against it. I will be against it absent the kind of changes in behavior that I have been calling for from the Colombian government."

Earlier in the press conference, describing her husband's advocacy for the trade deal, Clinton said: "Everyone is free to express their opinion."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. Deborah

Giggle and Lie Giggle and Lie

Giggle and Lie

Hang up your freaking hat Pantsuit Lady

You are not right for America

Liar Liar Pantsuit on Fire

No More Hillbilly Billary Hillary

April 11, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  2. Kimberly in Texas

What a cow!

April 11, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. bonna

Just another lie!!!!!!

April 11, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  4. Jeff

"Everyone is free to express their opinion."

Except Bill's will cost you 800K ....

April 11, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  5. She lost my vote

I have lost all respect for this person. It is becoming clearer every day that Hillary has un-treated mental problems.

April 11, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. YOU NEED TO KNOW

Oh you have got to be kidding me. Hillary must think we are really stupid. This really boils down to one thing and that is MONEY. She's against it alright but she has reaped the monetary benifits of Bill's dealings with the Columbians.

If she was really against it she would FIRE Mark Penn not just demote him and she should also Fire Husband Bill. I see a complete conflict of interest in her campaign and if she doesn't have the JUDGEMENT to eliminate the conflict then what does that say about her being ready to be President. THINK ABOUT IT!

April 11, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. Richard, St. Paul, MN

Hillary's rictus grin and her donkey laugh are almost as infuriating as Bush's weasel face. I can't stand to see either of them on TV anymore because they come across as 'real' as Spongebob.

April 11, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  8. Natalie

Hillarys life-style is supported primarily by her husband's speaking engagements in support of Columbia's trade deal. Conflict of interest is an understatement.

April 11, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  9. SayNoToHillaryBillaryCheslaryClintrous

Every time she get busted she starts to giggle. He husband make 800,000 from the deal. Any body who thinks she is telling the truth is either an idiot or oragant.

April 11, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  10. vjh

Pathetic ! I really hope Obama wins PA !

April 11, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  11. Alex H

V in CA April 10th, 2008 8:45 pm ET

Good job, Hillary. It's all just laughable, ridiculous stuff out there. I wish we had journalists who went for the tough questions, who really got after all the candidates, who held them accountable.

You know what? I think it's about time to re-watch "Network." Come on, everyone, "I mad as h*@l and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!!!!"
    ---------------------------------

Last time I checked, the question "is it a conflict of interests..." IS a tough question, holding her accountable. A question about her ethical integrity is not 'laughable, ridiculous stuff'. You just applauded her dodging a question that you just wished people were asking. Well aren't you a walking contradiction.

April 11, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  12. DD

PA please end this pain, America is looking to you to save us from HRC and company, please please, save the nation.
    Thank you PA.

April 11, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. Lee WV

She just laughs off things like it don't matter.She is going to be laughing all the way back to New York.Some people who write in here need to seek some help...

April 11, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. Prayers from Texas

She knew what Penn was working on. She just didn't think she would get caught.

She is not trustworthy.

The next news story will be about Maggie William and the Housing Mortgage Company she caused to go into bankruptcy..

CNN will not report this however FOX and MSNBC has already reported this under the radar......

April 11, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. D.Kimbro OHIO

That's because she will only oppose it until she gets elected (if) and then it;s right into bed w/the Colombians. Didnt we have that relationship before in the war on drugs. How did that work out???.

April 11, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  16. J from MD

So, if Hillary Clinton becomes the next POTUS, and the press ask her a tough question about US soldier dying in the Middle East, is she going to laugh at that too?

April 11, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  17. Le troubadour

She is laughing all the way to the bank with that hefty $800,000. Hell, I'd even throw in a dance if I had that kind of money. Cmom Hillary, you made your money, give the struggling american people a chance.

PS. Hillary, don't you ever say again that words are cheap.

April 11, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  18. Levae

They are such frauds. The clintons are done.

April 11, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  19. Mike Glenn

I'm truly sorry it had to end like this, but Ms. Clinton destroyed any and all credibility with me when she trotted out her 'sniper' fantasy. I no longer consider her electable, nor do I any longer consider her newsworthy.

April 11, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  20. Candi SC

Hillary this is not a laughing matter. People are voting for you on issues and if your husband who lives with you have different views on big issues, how can we trust that you want let him persuade you to change on these issues. This is serious suff. I wish that you two can see eye to eye on theses issues. Laughing or stirring away from the subject will not answer what the American people want to hear on these views. Please be respectful of the people who ask you questions and who vote for you. Sorry we don't see eye to eye on your big mouth as if the matter is not serious but rather a big laugh like oh that is nothing we do this all the time.

April 11, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  21. ECHEWEOZO

her laughs means lie

hahahaha lie lie lie

April 11, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. Jen

VOTE FOR CLINTON

GO CLINTON

GO HILLARY

OUR NEXT PRESIDENT

WHO IS OBAMA?

April 11, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  23. Les

I ask everyone to step back a second and ask themselves, who are the fanatics here? Obamaniacs or Clintocrits? Polls recently suggest Clinton beating McCain by 3 points but Obama tying him. Could it be that Obama supporters are actually here for the party and more willing to vote for Clinton if she respectfully wins the nomination, yet Clinton supports are less likely to do so for Obama if he should get the nomination? I think this is a major factor and one of the predominant arguements for the fact that Clinton is destroying the democratic party. She actually has her supporters thinking Obama is worse than McCain, several time she and her husband have slyly suggested that McCain would be a better president than Obama. If the Democratic Party does not win the general election the Clinton will go down with the ship. They will be known as the family who ruined the party and put us back 20 years.

April 11, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  24. Gunnar

Don't worry. When she's had a couple of days to figure out an answer to this question, she'll claim she merely 'mis-cackled'.

April 11, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  25. marty

Her laugh is like a cackle of a crow!! She is such a Liar and a Cheat. " I FEEL YOUR PAIN" after announcing they made 109 million in 8 years. Yeah sure!! Tell us, more about VINCE FOSTER and the phoney PARDONS Bubba gave right before he left office!!!

April 11, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |