April 11th, 2008

Clinton laughs off Colombia questions

CNN

Watch Clinton laugh off a question on Colombia.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Hillary Clinton used her trademark laugh Thursday to deflect a question about the $800,000 her husband earned in 2005 giving speeches for a Bogota-based group that supports the Colombia free trade agreement - the same trade deal she currently opposes.

Asked by CNN if those earnings represented a conflict of interest given that she has dipped into her family's pocketbook to pay campaign bills, Clinton threw up her hands and laughed loudly for several seconds.

"How many angels dance on the head of the pin?," she responded, continuing to giggle. "I have really, uh, nothing to ... I mean, how do you answer that?"

The New York senator explained there are different sides to the argument over trade, and re-emphasized her own opposition to the trade deal, assailing the Colombian government's "outrageous" record of "targeting labor leaders."

"I am against the Colombia free trade deal," she said. "It doesn't matter who talks to me. It doesn't matter any circumstances. I have been against it. I am against it. I will be against it absent the kind of changes in behavior that I have been calling for from the Colombian government."

Earlier in the press conference, describing her husband's advocacy for the trade deal, Clinton said: "Everyone is free to express their opinion."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. JBecky

It just goes to show how strong this lady is. She is not going to let
    anyone change what she believes in, she will fight to the
    end for the American people.

She is a TRUE AMERICAN>

April 11, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. non-voter in pa

liar liar, camp on fire.

April 11, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. Tamika

Funny thing is.. it was a cross between a villianous laugh and an "I -dont- believe- you -had- the- nerve- to- ask- me -that sort of laugh..she believes she is beyond approach

April 11, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  4. O Man

The woman and her campaign was bogus from day one. When she said "i am in it to winner it!" to me and any sensible person listening that this campaign is not about the voters. It is about her and her double dealing fomer presidential husband lining their pockets at the expense of american people. I voted for him twice. You Hilary voters better take heed.

April 11, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  5. Phillip from Little Rock

Typical HillBillary nonsense: laugh at what you don't want to answer, cry when you want to turn the tide, lie when you think it'll help, and plead ignorance to a wall of facts staring you in the face.

April 11, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  6. "Trademark Laugh"????????

Thanks CNN. Keep pushing for Obama. The more you do, the more voters (including lifelong democrats like me) will just saty home in November if Obama is the nominee!

April 11, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  7. Joe Green

Hillary "Giggles" Clinton. Just what we need in the Whitehouse.

"Tee-Hee, I'm just a Girl!'

Hillary, setting back the woman's movement another 20 years....

April 11, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  8. sonya

Clinton is the biggest fake ever, you Clintoniacs are really being fooled, time to open you eyes and see Clinton true colors

Obama 08

April 11, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  9. rich st paul

I am Shocked SHOCKED. Bill took $800K and she is now saying she was aginst it before she was for it spent the money from it. It contributed to he IBS disease. That would be inflated butt syndrome.he but is growing faster than their bank accoutn. Why not have a whale for PRES???

April 11, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  10. Kevin Pennsylvania

if anybody still supports Hillary and think she is trustworthy after the bosnia sniper lie and now this nonsense and still think she is capable of being commander in cheif ? her suppporters are either very racsist or a as the polls suggest uneducated ...I mean come on look at her supporters comments NO facts NO counter arguments they just say some stupid chant like the mindless cheerleaders they are if she is our nominee we deserve to lose the general election we deserve to have the economy plummet and deserve to dwindle the resourses of the most powerful military on earth fighting a unwinnable in Iraq instead of going after bin laden you blind uneducated faux feminist racsist Hillary supporters will be the downfall to this country open your eyes

April 11, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  11. Xavier of Saint Louis, MO

Her new approach to questions: laugh-it-off when she is caught in her lies.

April 11, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. rob

angels....pinheads.....?

that's the worst phrase I've ever heard

April 11, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  13. Patty

Not funny. What an idiot.

April 11, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. Stay home in November!

Obama gets treated like a prince. Clinton gets her head bashed in day in and day out.

CNN needs to get over Obama. It is a joke.

April 11, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. OH

Hey Hillarious....keep laughing. They're coming to take you away..ha .ha. They're coming to take you away.. ha . ha. They're coming to take you away .. ha ha. They'e coming to take you away.. ha ..ha. They're coming to ........................................................................

April 11, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  16. Anne

Bill Clinton gave speeches for a company who supports the free trade agreement. So what?????????
    Hillary's position is VERY CLEAR. MOVE ON and get to
    the important stuff.

Hillary/Edwards.....MY dream team!

April 11, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  17. Rob - Canada

it's 3am and the phone rings in the whitehouse

how do you answer the call?

throw up your hands and laugh – how do I answer that?

this hypocrite is laughing all the way to the columbian bank.

April 11, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  18. NJ Executive

How could she allow her husband to support her with money on something she opposes? How can you trust someone who's actions show something different than she states? I believe there is a conflict of interest. She even knew Penn's business, his focus, his contracts and yet employed him. It shows something about her willingness and the Clinton's willingness to win at all costs.

April 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  19. Kevin - IN

I'm not getting the joke. If she's using her private income to fund the campaign, it's relevant to ask where that money is coming from. She shouldn't have ever dipped into her own money to begin with.

If Hillary can't see that this is a reasonable question (and valid concern), she doesn't have the judgment to lead a country.

April 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. Becky in In.

How many of you would like your tax forms gone through with a fine tooth comb. It is none of your business how much Bill makes , you are soooooo jealous of anyone who you think has a a little more than you!
    And as far as lies go you, the media get on television every day and spin what you call the news. But I call it lies and half truths especially where the Clintons are concerned. You all need to get a life and shut up. Hillary will make the best PRESIDENT, but you all are afraid she will make all former Presidents look inadequate. Barack is a fine man but she would be better. Sooooooooooooooooooo shut up!!!

April 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. Anne

Did anyone read the lastest national poll????

Obama vs. McCain are EVEN.

Clinton vs. McCain....SHE'S 3 points ahead!!!!

You Obama people only hear what you want to hear.

Let me tell you...he's unelectable.

April 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  22. Jean

How do you answer answer that, Hillay: Sinple: I say one thing, my husband preaches other thing and my campagin stragegist does other thing too by lobbying for the colombian government for free trade. All that without me knowing. What a wicked liar. This lady will do anything to get elected.

April 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  23. Spirit of America

Why not just ask her when her husband stopped beating her?
    The question is as legitimate and relevant as her excellent response.
    "How mand angels sit on the head of pin" was the great theological question of the Dark Ages. Seems like that age never disappeared for the Clinton haters. Go Hillary! Vaya con Dios!

April 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  24. Barb Canada

She was laughing at the frustration of saying for 10 years she was against Free Trade, and still having to answer it 200,000 times in this campaign! Be thankful she can laugh, I would lose my friendly exterior at this point!

April 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. jj

Just a question, is he saying that only Bill had income during that time?? I thought that she had her own income that she loaned to her nomination party?? It was really a very STUPID question. Ask about the issues DUMMY. She has said how SHE views Columbia, not her husband.
    Another posting asked a ligitimate question,"What would it take for a black man to become president" All it would take is for someone to be honest and have some experience before he just jumps in and uses race and push tactics to get the nomination. Obama had a good start but there wasn't enough known about him yet and he didn't have the experience others did have. What has come out about going to a church for 20 years, listening to race being pushed down your throat every week. If he had waited until 2012 or 2016, he probably would have made it because he does give good speechs, BUT his race speech didn't answer a lot of questions but put the blame on racism. It looks like racism is preached in black churchs, I really don't believe that's true of all black churchs, I really hope that most people have gone beyond that.

April 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |