April 11th, 2008

Clinton laughs off Colombia questions

CNN

Watch Clinton laugh off a question on Colombia.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Hillary Clinton used her trademark laugh Thursday to deflect a question about the $800,000 her husband earned in 2005 giving speeches for a Bogota-based group that supports the Colombia free trade agreement - the same trade deal she currently opposes.

Asked by CNN if those earnings represented a conflict of interest given that she has dipped into her family's pocketbook to pay campaign bills, Clinton threw up her hands and laughed loudly for several seconds.

"How many angels dance on the head of the pin?," she responded, continuing to giggle. "I have really, uh, nothing to ... I mean, how do you answer that?"

The New York senator explained there are different sides to the argument over trade, and re-emphasized her own opposition to the trade deal, assailing the Colombian government's "outrageous" record of "targeting labor leaders."

"I am against the Colombia free trade deal," she said. "It doesn't matter who talks to me. It doesn't matter any circumstances. I have been against it. I am against it. I will be against it absent the kind of changes in behavior that I have been calling for from the Colombian government."

Earlier in the press conference, describing her husband's advocacy for the trade deal, Clinton said: "Everyone is free to express their opinion."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. M. Mitch

I wonder if she is going to laugh like that when the nomination goes to Obama? What a fraud...

Obama '08

April 10, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  2. Linda

Oh and Penn was fired because of this......what will you do to your husband?

Darn I forgot, they are both still helping you out.

April 10, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  3. Carl from Pa

ha ha and she wonders why SNL has so much material to work with.

April 10, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  4. fair tax in la.

LETS SEE JIMMY CARTER WANTS TO TALK TO PEOPLE?
    DID THEY CUT YOUR HEAD OFF YET??
    YOU MUST NUKE THE BASTARDS JIMMY!!
    PROTECT MY GRANDKIDS THRU STRENGTH!!!!!!!!
    McCAIN 08'

April 10, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  5. Ben

yah it is a life.

April 10, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. Sara

Talking in circles and never answer a direct question. Business as usual for Clinton. Of course there was a conflict. What a phony.
    OBAMA 08'

April 10, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  7. John Smith

Oops, so answer the question: Is there a conflict of interest regarding the monies accepted by Bill?

Well, what if one of the disciples had taken the 30 pieces of coins that Judas got for selling Jesus? How is this different?

April 10, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  8. Brian from NYC

I am sure she's not misspeaking now right? C'mon now when will people realize her experience is nothing more then tea parties and running from imaginary bullets! She is ruining this year so she can run in 2012 – with 100 plus million earned and more on the way from foreign funds she can afford too. But can we? NO WE CAN'T So VOTE OBAMA and YES WE CAN change the future of this country!!!!

April 10, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  9. jps

"I have really, uh, nothing to … I mean, how do you answer that?"

Well, in your case, you aswer that by saying, "Yes."

April 10, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  10. concerned citizen

Clinton threw up her hands and laughed loudly for several seconds.
    "How many angels dance on the head of the pin?," she responded, continuing to giggle. "I have really, uh, nothing to … I mean, how do you answer that?"

ummm how about with the truth?
    Hard day? Don't cry... How bout some soft balls...
    Answer me these questions three...
    WHAT is your name? WHAT is your quest? WHAT is your favorite color?

April 10, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  11. E1944

And my opinion is you're a dirty liar. Cannot possibly understand what's

April 10, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  12. FACTCHECK

IF YOU OBAMABOTS WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH...

Obama advance: 'Get me more white people'

From the account in Carnegie Mellon's paper, the Tartan, of a Michelle Obama event in Pittsburgh:

While the crowd was indeed diverse, some students at the event questioned the practices of Mrs. Obama’s event coordinators, who handpicked the crowd sitting behind Mrs. Obama.

The Tartan’s correspondents observed one event coordinator say to another, “Get me more white people, we need more white people.” To an Asian girl sitting in the back row, one coordinator said, “We’re moving you, sorry. It’s going to look so pretty, though.”

“I didn’t know they would say, ‘We need a white person here,’ ” said attendee and senior psychology major Shayna Watson, who sat in the crowd behind Mrs. Obama. “I understood they would want a show of diversity, but to pick up people and to reseat them, I didn’t know it would be so outright.”

I'm not sure there's any real reason for outrage here; every campaign, at least implicitly, includes race in the staging of events like this - even a campaign whose supporters chant "race doesn't matter." But they don't usually get caught doing it this explicitly.

And (if you didn't pick it up from the bowling) it does give you a sense of the community Obama's trying to reach in Pennsylvania: whitefolks.

April 10, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  13. Aaron

"How many angels..." ... ... ... ... ... Is she mentally stable?

April 10, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  14. ellianna

"Save the Last Dance for Hillary"!! Will it be a "Cha Cha Cha??"
    or a "Rumba"? OR, better yet - "A Barn Dance"!!! Go ahead and cackle, Hil, your chickens are about to come home to roost?!!!! In fact, in the minds of many of us, THEY ALREADY HAVE!!!

April 10, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  15. Nikole

Umm, she never came out and said that it was a conflict of interst, WHICH IT IS!

April 10, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  16. Ralph

She seems to be in her best spirits when she is caught with her pants down. Kinda wierd. Maybe she likes the challenge of appearing unconcerned when she has every reason to be. Is it me or are the Clintons just getting creepier by the day?

April 10, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  17. demo crazy

She laughs off at everything that requires an explanation, she knows she has to cover up and make up lies to cover more lies.

this is very very sad state of politics in this country.

PLease someone in the party stand up to the clinton machine, before is too late, or McCain will be our president.

April 10, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  18. Scott

This is a serious question, a question that is really really important. People are voting for Hillary in large part due to her husband.

How can you trust her if when she is faced with an extremely important question she just laughs it off.

She keeps giving more reasons to not vote for her every day.

April 10, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  19. demo crazy

blah blah blahy the lady has lost it for good.

April 10, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  20. tell the truth

I guess Clintion support will beleving anything. She laughed. This is not funny. I do not think lose jobs,gas prices, and everything else Bush has mess up over the last 8 years is funny. Stop and think people please vote with facts. Ask yourself a question do you think by voting for McCain instead of Obama is going to hurt Obama. No it going to hurt me,you and your famiy. It is not going to hurt him. Think about who is important here. I could careless about Obama,Clintion and McCain. I voting for myself and family. I want to end the war and reduce gas prices and put money back into the US worker pocket. Are those the things you want? I have been reading some of the comment and they do not make sense. Please people stop and think. Is this the way you want your children to act. I know I went off the subject.

April 10, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  21. Len

Fight on Hillarious Clinton.

McCain 08

April 10, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  22. E1944

up with you. You laugh and expect anyone to believe you're
    telling the truth? Missy you are the joke. Please, just go away.

April 10, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  23. LatinObamaMama

She is against, Bill is for and "everyone is free to express their opinion." Unless you are Reverend Wright and Obama, that is. Obama is not allowed to disagree with his pastor, yet Hillary is allowed to disagree with her husband on a major, major policy issue with serious human rights implications? And last I checked, Obama did not receive anything (certainly not half of $800,000 in speaking fees) notwithstanding his opposition to Wright's strident opinions. Hippocrisy, thy name is Hillary.

April 10, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  24. Lonesome Texan

You people better wake up it's Obama that lies. Ask him why he spent that time in Pakistan. Also ask him his feeling about Israel. He is against Jews. HILLARY 08

April 10, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  25. John Smith

Although not possible, as soon as Hillary starts to gain in the polls, it will excite the Republican base enough for us to begin to see their war machines. There are many Repulicans who are praying to have the chance to "get back at the Clintons directly." Indirectly, they got both Gore and Kerry for the sins of the Clintons, now they want to draw blood and they are waiting for the dems to be dumb again by having Hillary as a nominee!

April 10, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |