April 11th, 2008

Clinton laughs off Colombia questions

CNN

Watch Clinton laugh off a question on Colombia.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Hillary Clinton used her trademark laugh Thursday to deflect a question about the $800,000 her husband earned in 2005 giving speeches for a Bogota-based group that supports the Colombia free trade agreement - the same trade deal she currently opposes.

Asked by CNN if those earnings represented a conflict of interest given that she has dipped into her family's pocketbook to pay campaign bills, Clinton threw up her hands and laughed loudly for several seconds.

"How many angels dance on the head of the pin?," she responded, continuing to giggle. "I have really, uh, nothing to ... I mean, how do you answer that?"

The New York senator explained there are different sides to the argument over trade, and re-emphasized her own opposition to the trade deal, assailing the Colombian government's "outrageous" record of "targeting labor leaders."

"I am against the Colombia free trade deal," she said. "It doesn't matter who talks to me. It doesn't matter any circumstances. I have been against it. I am against it. I will be against it absent the kind of changes in behavior that I have been calling for from the Colombian government."

Earlier in the press conference, describing her husband's advocacy for the trade deal, Clinton said: "Everyone is free to express their opinion."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. IN for Obama, because McCain might not remember

Clinton Playing us stupid. She don't think we read the paper.

April 10, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  2. Sara

Truth is not in the Clinton vocabulary.

April 10, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  3. Lynden, Atlanta

WOW! I have really, uh, nothing to … I mean, how do you comment on that?"

Looks like she is running out of steam, this will not blow over and it WILL hurt her in PA. Talk about double standards,

Oh well, she had a good(sarcasm) run

Obama '08

April 10, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  4. brad

wow this should be THE top story!

April 10, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  5. Susan

Wow, there really is no end to her bravado.

Hillary Clinton will do or say anything (or nothing when it's convenient) to secure the nomination for herself. I truly believe it's not for us, it's for her.

I hope this nomination is wrapped up in Pennsylvania. If, somehow she were to secure the nomination, I am going to have an extremely difficult time voting for her in November. She is such a devious person.

April 10, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  6. K

NO OBAMA 08!!!!!!

NO 0BAMA 08!!!

I WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN IF CLINTON IS NOT THE NOMINEE.

April 10, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  7. H

I USUALLY SUPPORT UNIONS BUT I HAVE STOPPED. MR. HOFFA GET OUT OF THE GAME. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO RECEIVE IF OBAMA SURVIVES.

April 10, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  8. Thom, OH

Oh Boy! She is really starting to make a lot of Ohioans mad about this one. How do you answer it? Well Senator, the simple thing to do is to tell the truth, and that would be "Yes, it is a conflict of interest!" Man, oh man, to think I actually voted for her. While she's at it, I want her to demand a revote in Ohio too because we got duped big time!

April 10, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  9. WakeUp!

She thinks she is so entilled. I don't get her anymore.

April 10, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  10. Sue

Is it not amazing that this woman cannot give a straight simple answer to a legitimate question? This is the woman people want to entrust our nation to? If she cannot answer a direct question regarding her own finances, then how can America entrust her to help us. She has had the benefit of $800,000.00, while tens of thousands of good, hard working, Americans are out of work and their jobs moved to foreign countries. How about the York Perrpemint Patty factory is being closed and 250 American jobs are being sent to Mexico, courtesy thanks to NAFT, which, no matter how she spins or denies it,is part of the Clinton Administration for which she takes credit. Disgusting!!! Come on Pa., vote for change.

April 10, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  11. Bryan

I am so disturbed by her behavior these last several months. i no longer find the humor in her lies that she does.

April 10, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  12. tonybama

There's a lot to laugh about. Hubby made 800 grand. Mark Penn is still on the payroll. Haa, haa.

While we are on the subject of laughter, how about that sniper fire story and the bookbag (Hillary must have invented the bookbag in '68).

April 10, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  13. Camilo

I voted for Hillary in the primaries and was chosen one of her delegates in my precint... but she just managed to turn me into a McCain supporter.
    I hope that her pitiful effort to use the Colombian trade agreement to win the labor vote backfires. She may not realize it yet but she just lost the support of many Hispanics who, like me, realize that being so adamant against the Colombian trade agreement only helps Chavez and other enemies of America and discourages the most loyal, pro-US government in Latin America.

April 10, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  14. Teresa, Georgia

Did HRC answer the question? Being against the trade deal doesn't necessarily mean that she won't spend the profits gained by Billy's support and involvement with the deal. Somehow, I don't think HRC is being truthful on this one.

April 10, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  15. remy , vancouver canada

This is a serious matter , deserve no laughing. Sorry hillary , be seriuos and REMEMBER been President of the USA is very serious . No kiding please!
    Remy , vancouver
    canada

April 10, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  16. Joe Green

Ha ha ha ha! My husband took a bribe of nearly a million bucks for the Free Trade Agreement! Isn't that HILARIOUS?

And then my campaign manager took another million. Funny Stuff!

Of course, I had to pretend to fire him. HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Hillary is so much better with a laugh track........

it keeps me from crying.

April 10, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  17. Eva, VA

Getting dizzy from the spinning are we?

April 10, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  18. Petra

Hillary is shameless... Utterly shameless... and 2-faced like her husband. We are in a recession and she laughs at serious questions.

Poor judgment, Hillary.... Billary....Chillary...The whole family don't like tough questions.

April 10, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  19. Michael

Are you kidding me? Wow! How could anyone vote for Clinton after that remark? She took $800,000 from a trade policy then, she turns around when she is running for president and lies to Ohio and now Pa about being against free trade deals.

April 10, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. Marc

To the Independents and Obamamites: Grow up. The woman has her own views. Vote who you want. Let all the voters choose for themselves.

If you can't handle that she has differing views than her husband then I'd expect you to have been concerned that GW and his father would have put you at unease. It was never an issue in the election.

If you can't handle a woman with her own views I imagine your own marriage sucks.

April 10, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  21. Tom

Does anyone have a URL to the audio or video of this ?

April 10, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  22. Mary

These are serious issues. Bill in Bogata speaking for the Columbian Trade agreement, one of her top advisors speaking for the Columbian agreement, and Hillary taking money from it all. If anyone thinks she is truly going to back away from it all they are crazy. I would like to remind people that this is the same woman who wanted to increase the number of Visas for Indians coming to this country because there aren't enough American workers who have the skills in technology. Wake up people, this woman is FOR trade agreements, and not for the American worker–no matter what you job skill level is.

April 10, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  23. Michael

Clinton has always been against the trade deal with the Columbian government as it stands. The question posed by CNN was retarded. C'mon PA! 4-22-08!

CLINTON 08

April 10, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  24. Tom,des moines

How come the reporter and the media didn't ask Hussein Obama why there are so many nut,crook,fraud,felon,racist and muslim are supporting him? People like Bill Ayer,Al Sharpton,Jesse Jackson,Tony Resko,Louise Farrakhan and Rev.Wright. Why? As far as I concern Hillary doesn't to answer this stupid question. Mark Penn is already been fire as her chief strategy.

April 10, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  25. phillykat

There are none so blind as those who will not see that this woman is a joke!!
    '08AMA!!