April 11th, 2008

Clinton laughs off Colombia questions

CNN

Watch Clinton laugh off a question on Colombia.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Hillary Clinton used her trademark laugh Thursday to deflect a question about the $800,000 her husband earned in 2005 giving speeches for a Bogota-based group that supports the Colombia free trade agreement - the same trade deal she currently opposes.

Asked by CNN if those earnings represented a conflict of interest given that she has dipped into her family's pocketbook to pay campaign bills, Clinton threw up her hands and laughed loudly for several seconds.

"How many angels dance on the head of the pin?," she responded, continuing to giggle. "I have really, uh, nothing to ... I mean, how do you answer that?"

The New York senator explained there are different sides to the argument over trade, and re-emphasized her own opposition to the trade deal, assailing the Colombian government's "outrageous" record of "targeting labor leaders."

"I am against the Colombia free trade deal," she said. "It doesn't matter who talks to me. It doesn't matter any circumstances. I have been against it. I am against it. I will be against it absent the kind of changes in behavior that I have been calling for from the Colombian government."

Earlier in the press conference, describing her husband's advocacy for the trade deal, Clinton said: "Everyone is free to express their opinion."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. Roger B from Portland, OR

OK...so Hillary has lost her mind. She can't even spin properly anymore, now she just cackles like a maniac and acts like the question is one she can't answer. "How do you answer that question?" Perhaps she means "How can I answer that without lying?"

April 10, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  2. Monica, Texas

I'm suprise Hillary did not try and blame Rev. Wright or how unfair the media is being because she is a woman...Every time her back is against the wall these are usually the come back responses she will give...If the poll numbers get any lower we might just see a few tears too.

April 10, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  3. MurphyMorseJohnson

We're glad to hear Hillary Clinton say everyone is free to speak an opinion. We believe if Hillary Clinton took a polygraph test, let alone her husband, she would fail.

April 10, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  4. Juan

Pathetic. If this liar and her cronies steal the nomination I'm voting for McCain. Even if that means we stay in Iraq for a 1000 years with McCain. This woman is unbelievable. Thank God the more people see her and compare her to Obama such like in every other race she losses her big margins. Remember she was leading by 20 points.

Her two biggest surrogates support the Colombia deal and meanwhile she still will say anything to get the votes!!!

April 10, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  5. Typical white guy Mn.

How about giving her three days to write a speech about it and still
    not getting a real answer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  6. Sean

Can anyone say condescending?

April 10, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  7. JJR60616

I really think this is the end for Hillary, and I've got to say I'm glad, because she clearly isn't ready for this presidency. Way too much baggage...way to much history of a negative type and much too much of a negative backlash against her.

Her supporters are too entrenched and ignoring her many and glaring faults. Although Obama's supporters can be accused of the same thing, their weakness is he is light on experience, but don't view that as a disqualifying factor. Comparing him to Kennedy and many of our other past presidents with light experience , I'm personally willing to give him the benefit of my doubt.

I just know I'm sick and tired of politics as usual, and anyone who can raise his money on the Internet in donations from the average Joe, at least has a better chance of owing his soul to Lobbyists, like McCain and Hillary already do.

People of Pennsylvania, Indiana & NC, please, please vote for Obama so we can kill off Hillarys campaign.

April 10, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  8. zach

This woman is incapable of answering the question.....same thing happened the other day on NPR All Things Considered when asked if "she had to win dirty'" She then launched into this whole double standards tangent...... Again she cannot answer a direct question....such trash......I will not be voting for this woman.

April 10, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  9. Bob G.

I really do like Hillary – however that laugh and giggle of her's can really drive you crazy. Hopefully, she'll hire a laugh and giggle coach to help her smile and smirk more quietly and roll her eyes!

April 10, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  10. Marie-Lynn

Lets see: april 25 remember Paul vs Clinton who's gone laugh... me

April 10, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. jo

Well, I guess it's because she can't believe what a tough time she is having. She thought this would be a cakewalk into the white house.

Obama announced his candidacy first then she followed a while after. Perhaps she waited to see who would be running and felt she could beat all of them.

People need to wake up. I guess everyone has the right to support their favorite candidate but you can't be blind to stuff like this. This is someone you are trying to put in charge of our nation. If she is lying left and right now what will she do if she becomes president?

She will say one thing on tv and then make back room deals with her corporate cronies.

April 10, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  12. chris

reminds me of someone else who laughs when asked tough questions.......President Bush....... please people, please read up on the facts about the Clinton White house years and all of the people they have stomped on in their quest for power. The country won't survive another 4 years of this insanity.

April 10, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  13. SheWill

maybe she laughed to keep from getting mad with all these stupid questions regarding nothing about the issues we face everyday. instead of heckling her and her family everyday just to get a story,why dont we focus on the issues instead of crowning your guy king before the coronation.

April 10, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  14. ABC

You know why all the kids like Obama? Because, being young they have no experience either.

You know why Republicans like McCain? Because "conservative" means "resists change". The whole ideology is "things are OK, things are good for me, screw everyone else, I'm selfish". So how do we keep things on the same path (down the drain)? More Bush.

You know why I USED to like Hillary? Because I thought she was the one who knew what she was doing. I still think she'd be the best at taking us in the right direction but she's killing her campaign and can't stop.

So I'd better get used to the title "President Obama". I hope chanting "Yes We Can" keeps your adrenaline up for the whole 4 years. That's really all I expect to see. We can all get Obama T-shirts, yea! I'll have to wear one...no other choice. : ( : ( : (

I haven't even SEEN OR HEARD Nader.... Ron Paul's signs are still up here...

April 10, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  15. JackDaniels

Just don't jump to conclusions. BO is very bad news ... and more to
    follow. Senator Clinton is an intelligent, political pro who has a solid backing of the same. What is there about the peace and prosperity of
    President Clinton's administration that you don't like ?????

April 10, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  16. rick, salt lake city

Hey all you Clinton supporters, every time Hillary is faced with a tough question or a contreversy she either mispeaks or jokes about it, when Obama is faced with contreversy (rev.wright) he takes it head on, even when some people still disagree with what he said in his speech, isn't that what we need in a leader, someone who takes on challenges, instead of someone who streches the truth, and then jokes and laughs when asked about her mispeaks, and her husbands deals with colombia. I lose respect for the Clintons more and more each day.

April 10, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  17. Sure

I guess Hillary just laughs around the issues while Obama gives a speech around the issues.

April 10, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  18. Oregon IS Obama

As time goes on it is becoming very clear that Hillary is mentally unstable.

April 10, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. BVS Maine

Some might call that unprofessional at best.

April 10, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. Chris in Va.

The truth will set you free. Hillary, continue the lies, soon you will set us free of YOU! With every lie she is losing supporters. Please help us set ourselves free on this person.

April 10, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  21. OBAMA FOR SURE WILL WIN PA. 2008

She laughed because that is what liars do when the answer
    would destroy them. To tell the truth for Hillary is a lose for Hillary.
    Oh, America just loves liars. We have put enough of them in office.

April 10, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  22. Allen Hussein

So do you laugh whenever you get caught telling a lie Billary? You must be one continuous laugh track to be around.

April 10, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  23. TellItLikeItIs

The only thing funny is the zombies that don't see that's she's evading the question because she's once again been caught in another dishonest act.

Hillary isn't laughing at us(Obama supporters and anti-Clinton supporters), she's laughing at her own supporters who are the ones who are blindly supporting this nonsense. Shoot, I'd laugh too if I could do any type of dishonest and deceptive garbage in someone's face and still get praise from them.

This has gotten way past ridiculous. Are people in our country really this dumb.

April 10, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  24. OBAMA FOR SURE WILL WIN PA. 2008

LOTS OF HILLARY SUPPORTERS ARE JUMPING SHIP.

April 10, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  25. Allen in NC

It's all the lies JACK DANIELS..... I can't think of no one in the word that likes to be lied to except the clinton supporters.....

April 10, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |