April 11th, 2008

Hillary to Bill: Knock it off

Hillary and Bill Clinton.
Hillary and Bill Clinton.

(CNN) — Hillary Clinton wants her husband to quit talking about her trip to Bosnia in 1996, the former president said Friday.

"Hillary called me and said, "I misstated it, you said I misstated it, but you got to let me handle it because you don't remember it either'...I said 'Yes ma'am," Clinton said while touring the fire damage of a campaign office in Terre Haute, Indiana.

The comments follow those he made in Boonville, Indiana Thursday, when he strongly defended his wife over the recent coverage surrounding her 1996 Bosnia trip claims, saying the media acted as if she'd "robbed a bank."

"I got tickled the other day, a lot of the way this whole campaign has been covered has amused me, but there was a lot of fulminating because Hillary, one time late at night when she was exhausted, misstated and immediately apologized for it, what happened to her in Bosnia in 1995. Did y'all see all that? Oh, they blew it up," he said.

Full story

Earlier: Bill Clinton says media overreacted to Bosnia flap

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Larry~

They are both such a joke and liars.

PA please end this nightmare!!

Obama 08

April 11, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. Ray Ito

A house that is divided against itself cannot stand.

Bill and Hillary have pretty much been divided on a host of issues such as NAFTA, Bosnia, race, (she had to apologize for his statements), etc.

If these two people are already fighting each other publicly on the campaign trail, how will it be like if ever they make it to the White House again?

He said: "And some of them when they're 60 they'll forget something when they're tired at 11 at night, too."

If at 60 you'll be tired at 11 at night, how can you be effective in answering the 3:00 a.m. phone?

What contradictions are the Clintons spewing? How can they bring so much confusion into the American politics and still claim to be relevant?

The Clintons time is past gone – they belong to a by-gone era.

Their presence is weakening the Democratic party base and the longer they stay on, the more they empower the Republicans.

April 11, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. lutisha

It's 3 A.M maybe she should be talking to her husband ,before he puts his foot in his mouth. I will never vote for another Clinton maybe in 20 years it seems that Chlesa is the only redeeming factor in that relationship!!!!!!!!!!!

April 11, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. Jerry in Ohio

when you tell lies, you have to have a good memory.

April 11, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. honkey white guy from cali

HA HA HA Well I guess she told him It is about time she put a muzzle on him the way things are going they both will end up broke and doing time for fraud. I would be willing to bet he will not be making as much as before. This has been a financial disaster for both of them!. At least she is starting to do the right thing. although I honestly believe that this whole thing is a puppet show for the American people so they will see her taking charge in the family even though her husband is dealing under the table to sale off jobs from the people she needs votes from. mark my words that marriage is over! right after her concession speech. I bet all those Clinton supporters whom that he was right to bite back like he did fell stupid now that there candidate told him to stay out of it hum. she can not run a marriage, a campaign, or the white house how can people still be voting for her HOW!

Obama 08

April 11, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. When will it end?

This is getting to be like a soap opera. End it already PA!

For those of you who believe that Obama has nothing going for him, all I can say is just watch. He is allowing Hillary to hang herself – and she is doing a pretty good job. When he faces off with McCain the gloves will come off. He'll have the poor old guy blubbering in a pool of drool in a debate. The teleprompter won't be able to move slow enough for McCain to keep up...

April 11, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Renee /Expat Winterthur Switzerland

Liar , Liar pantsuit on fire , burned her butt with SNIPER FIRE!!!

April 11, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Jeremy Abbas

Apparently neither of them remember it.

From Bill's, "I smoked but didn't inhale" to "I never had sex with that woman" to Hilary's Die Hard version of her Bosnia picnic-neither of these prevaricators have a shred of credibility.

Hilary's 3 am commerical raises an excellent point. I am concerned over who will answer that phone call at 3 am. If Hilary's elected I'm afraid that call just might be answered in the Executive Bedroom by Monica or some new intern.

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. OlvrWhit

Hillary did mis-speak and the media did blow it out of porportion. fact is there was danger on that trip and the media all but ignored those facts...There was warning of sniper fire, the ceremony was cut short due to security threats...

Bill Clinton is 100% correct. The media distorts everything that Hillary does or says. So do you bloggers( unless its Obama and then your all upset that anyone dare say his name).

Hillary continues to be the best choice and when Americans wake up from there election dream they will see she is by far the most qualified to lead this nation.

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  10. Mark Vale

Authenticity, honesty, truth, these qualities seem to be conspicuously absent from the Clintons. They seem to be exagerating big time lately.
    Anything to get elected seems to be their prevailing approach.

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. J

Could Hillary also tell Bill to give up the $800,000 he earned from lobbying for the Columbian government, and which is now in their joint bank accounts? This would go a long way toward ending the conflict of interest issue.

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. Mary

And lots not forget he said she was the first First Lady to attend a war zone , which is also wrong it was Pat NIxon, think it was 1969 or about there.
    If Obama just sticks to his play book and keeps his head about him while others are losing theirs he will take the nomination.
    She will try and bate him on Sunday night in the CNN discussions, and she will bring up Wright, he needs to stay on focus and if she goes that route he needs to hit the airwaves on Monday morning with the 800,000 payoff from the Columbians let the people of PA really see what they could be voting for , a history of supporting foreign trade polices that will continue and jobs will continue to leave the US

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. SHANE IN CHICAGO

It's too bad the CBS show "hidden talents" was cancelled so fast. Hillary had a great chance of winning . . . . .she can cry on command, answer phones at 3am (although she may be prone to exaggeration at that time due to tiredness), and boss her husband around at will.

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. sky

I can understand her wanting Bill to keep quiet.

But I really don't truthfully understand the "mis-spoken business. I am getting older and I forget things too....I forget whether I did something on Wednesday or was it Thursday. I might forget where I put something, or things along these lines but I have to admit that I can't quite envision myself thinking I was fired upon when in fact I was read poetry. And its not even like she was mixing it up with another incident. The fact is...she has NEVER been shot upon.

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  15. Reality Check

The only relevant thing about this issue is that Sen. Clinton had a successful mission on behalf of our country when she went to Bosnia during a time of war. When did Obama ever go to Bosnia or another war zone on behalf of our nation? Oh, that's right – he never did. He has ZERO foreign policy experience.

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  16. Larry Sinclair

Has anybody seen anymore about he lawsuit Mr. Sinclair filed agains Obama this month?

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  17. John

We should not rejoice over the misfortunes of Mrs Clinton-unfortunately her husband is a liability that she has to put up with

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. Robert Miller, Tulsa Oklahoma

Do we really want another 4 years of this? The Clintons lied enough to the american people when they were in the White House last time. Remember Bill Clinton lied under oath. A crime punishable to the rest of American people. It's called perjury! The American People deserve better!

April 11, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  19. White Woman

There is NO WAY I would Ever vote for Hillary !

April 11, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  20. Andrew

"I remember landing under sniper fire," "There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base," Hillary Clinton

I am from Long Beach, California. Where I come from, we call that "lying", when you start a statement with "I remember" and it is completely unfactual.

Is mis-speaking another name for lying? It does sound nicer.

April 11, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  21. Jeff

This seems like a big public ploy to me so Hillary can say that she can control Bill, when she can't. Why else would Bill be bringing up this conversation. We all know Hillary doesn't speak about personal phone calls (ones with Bill Richardson, at least).

April 11, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Steve

I don't get it:

She told him not to talk about it, but he's still focusing attention on it...

April 11, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. ledia

I can only imagine what she will forget at 3AM!

April 11, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  24. no to obama

Never.........Never.........Never............Obama.

April 11, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  25. mary

Hillary, please go away. Far away.

April 11, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |