April 11th, 2008

Hillary to Bill: Knock it off

Hillary and Bill Clinton.
Hillary and Bill Clinton.

(CNN) — Hillary Clinton wants her husband to quit talking about her trip to Bosnia in 1996, the former president said Friday.

"Hillary called me and said, "I misstated it, you said I misstated it, but you got to let me handle it because you don't remember it either'...I said 'Yes ma'am," Clinton said while touring the fire damage of a campaign office in Terre Haute, Indiana.

The comments follow those he made in Boonville, Indiana Thursday, when he strongly defended his wife over the recent coverage surrounding her 1996 Bosnia trip claims, saying the media acted as if she'd "robbed a bank."

"I got tickled the other day, a lot of the way this whole campaign has been covered has amused me, but there was a lot of fulminating because Hillary, one time late at night when she was exhausted, misstated and immediately apologized for it, what happened to her in Bosnia in 1995. Did y'all see all that? Oh, they blew it up," he said.

Full story

Earlier: Bill Clinton says media overreacted to Bosnia flap

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. NYC Native

HE doesn't remember it? SHE doesn't remember it right either!

April 11, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. Tim

Clintons, please exit stage right...your manipulation of just about everything is getting tired...how can anyone trust anything she says? She's taken more money from pharmacutical companies than any other politician in history...

April 11, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Hillary to the White House

Bill and Hillary are great, and she will make the next great President of the USA.

Hillary '08 & 12

April 11, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Jay from MA

If her memory fails her at 11pm, what happens when she gets that 3am phone call....

April 11, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. FEDUP

You people are either stupid or republicains or both..

April 11, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. a female voter

Bill Clinton's comments reaffirmed what we already know about the Clinton's: no sense of shame, no sense of basic moral principal and no sense of honor. How much longer the country has to endure these two who made a mockery of Marriage and democracy?

April 11, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. Carolyn

Bill Clinton once again has become a liability for the H. Clinton campaign.

April 11, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  8. alan j baer

The Clinton's have an elastic memory and vocabulary. Everything auto-
    maticaly expands when they talk.

April 11, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  9. D.W.; Miami, FL

What about the federal lawsuit againt Hillary for campaign finance fraud. What's the status on that?

April 11, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  10. db

How many times can we accept exhaustion as a reason for missteps?

April 11, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  11. Sam

If she's already tired at 11 will she be up at 3:00 to answer the phone when it rings

April 11, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  12. Kate

but .. if she's so tired at 11PM that she thinks she saw sniper fire, what will happen when the 3am call comes??

April 11, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  13. Jen in NH

Go Hillary! I'm voting for you in Nov. no matter who wins the nomination.

Hillary '08

April 11, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. Deron in Canada

I still can't figure out which citizens are more gullible – you or us. Ms. Clinton is as phony as a three dollar bill. Then again, our so-called leaders are no better. I feel for you.

April 11, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. Bravo

Bravo :-)) Bill indeed seems to be her liability

April 11, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. Bill Clinton

If she looses this election, I am afraid that I may not get layed for a long time.... She thinks I blew things up... but indeed, she did it on her own. I'm not the one who advised her to lie

What a bad girl

April 11, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. jerry

bill is playing the media. talking about what he want them to talk about.

April 11, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. bruce

I am totally amazed at people who continue to make excuses for Sen. Clinton failures. She has exposed herself over and over again, and her supporters are in complete denial about her inexcusable behavior and totally irresponsible statements. Her supporters are willing to shoot themselves in the foot, just to despite someone from their own political party. Don’t they really want four more years of Bush policies? Do they really want to soldiers in Iraq for 10, 20 or more years, because that’s what they are going to get by voting for Sen. McCain. Their blind bias and lack of honestly looking at Sen. Clinton mistakes and misdeeds is a dangerous mindset...

Are people still that ignorant in this country? Is racism and sexism that deep? Is our hatred so blind we can see that truth?

Sen. Clinton is a flawed candidate not because she is a woman... She is a flawed candidate because of her poor character, poor decisions, poor leadership... The attitude she publicly displays completely turns off voters and more importantly... super delegates... Sen. Clinton is shooting herself in the foot, just like her supporters...

I have criticisms about Sen. Obama, however, I'm honest about his character, and his potential leadership. He hasn't done everything right, however, I don't see a complete blind bias, in people that support him.

I look at both of these candidates and can clearly see differences in their character, their behavior, public statements, how the re-act to their mistakes and more importantly, how they have run their campaigns...

I’m voting for Sen. Obama because he has demonstrated he is a person to lead our country. I’m voting for Sen. Obama because I believe he can bring about change our country needs. I’m voting for Sen. Obama because of human qualities I admire in people. I see him as a good person… not a perfect person… His character and attitude far exceeds the character and attitude is see in Sen. Clinton…

That’s not blind bias… That’s the real Truth…

April 11, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  19. Uncle Sam

I challenge the American people – Democrats, Republicans, and Independents – to support the candidacy of Sen. John McCain and transcend partisan conformity. It is because I value the importance of divergent points of view that I challenge you to think outside of your political box and your own special interests. Due to the excitement generated by the Obama candidacy, his theme of change and unity, and attempts to portray a McCain presidency as a third Bush term, I believe that Sen. McCain's historic candidacy has been overlooked. John McCain is that rare politician who, because of his willingness and ability to cross party lines, is the true agent of change. In his humble way, he has not asked the American people to merely hope for change or simply believe that he will do as he promises. His actions over a lifetime of selfless service to America speak for themselves. History has shown us that the ability to bring about real change is not a matter of rhetoric or manner but of character and courage.

April 11, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. Debbie,NJ

Knock it off Bill. That's my lie. Get your own. You can't tell it like I can. Tell the other one, you know the one about me being against NAFTA.

April 11, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  21. Nia - AZ by way of MN

Another Clinton is not what I call "Change", especialy one who will lie and scheme her way into office with all that political baggage and Lobbyist money.

April 11, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. D C

Hillary did not misspeak. Everything that woman says is planned and calculated. She just flat out lied and got caught!

April 11, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. Candi SC

Bill is trying to help Hillary every way he can so they can get the free trade deal to work. Work with me Hillary and everything will be okay. People will feel sorry for you on the Bosina trip just trust me honey. They will vote for you, just keep saying and doing what you do best tell lies.

April 11, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. ILoveAmerica

Earth to Hillary: You no longer have any chance of winning the nomination. So who cares what Bill says anymore anyway?

April 11, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  25. JC

Between Clinton and her lies, Obama and his lack of experience and far-left policies (wants to cut the military budget while repealing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy which is as simple as keeping your business to yourself.) I am worried if either of them gets in the white house. Hopefully McCain can pull off a win but he should have been president 8 years ago anyway.

April 11, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |